Interest in Human Tribals

Started by HazelHomewrecker, November 22, 2022, 12:08:24 PM

You can theoretically join most clans as a human/elf tribal if you have a reason for it, but your relatives assume its on some temporary basis and that at most you'd be back in a year. You could join the byn as a sun runner steal everything and leave.

In the past there have been seik/arabet agents in gmh, but i think staff have been pulling away from that to make it apparent that being a tribal isnt really meant to be a background and more like a way of life.

Hardest part of human tribal is it is set up as if tribals HAVE to have City based merchant houses alliances or friendships. I feel that is backwards and the Houses would more want to seek out them for rare neat tribal trades and so on.  Not just point and say we'll march over there if you do not buy a hat and destroy your tribe which happens more then one would think.

Second thing but is just annoying is there is very little usually very little involving human tribals.  Not saying one can not force themselves into plots.  But if there is a tribal thing it is based for elves which bleeds back into my first rant,  elves get away with anything and still liked and traded with.

So what I am saying is wish the human tribes was more Doc and mindset as we do not NEED or really care for Walls.  So keep away if they are wanting to throw rocks at you and screw them.  But otherwise go visit trade and laugh wear feathers in your hair.
Just having fun.

I've always wanted to play in the coded tribes, but they have seemingly, in the past when I had interactions with them, lacked the somewhat entrepreneurial, or even sponsored, leadership that could make it a bit more interesting than just a couple of similarly ranked tribals writing their story through the vessel of the tribe.

Not saying it needs staff saying "Looking for Al'Seik/Arabet" whatever. Still, if an industrious player took about making the coded tribes seem like a more attractive landing place for someone else to write their character's journey, I think they would get more interest.

I hope I'm this ambitious someday because I think it's a great backdrop for storytelling.

Bringing this thread around into the fore once more - due to and direct compliments for Hazelhomewrecker, you all can expect a shiny new* tribe to appear in the game world before too long into the future. I'm presently working on their build, with assistance from Katima/Kaathe.

Kudos to this player for writing a very compelling request/document for these people and taking the discussion by the horns to affect the change.

* will be tied into game lore.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Sick
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I wonder if we have the playerbase to support yet another clan. Guess we'll see.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 06, 2023, 05:19:39 PM
I wonder if we have the playerbase to support yet another clan. Guess we'll see.

I have the same thoughts. Hopefully any new tribes will be closely associated with one or more existing groups, so as not to just divide the players up into even more disparate camps.

I tend to agree that we already have what, six human tribes that barely see players? Is a new one really needed?  I mean congratulations on the idea making awesome headway, but instead of something new, how about a revamp and bring about something already there?

January 06, 2023, 05:57:33 PM #33 Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 11:18:44 PM by LindseyBalboa

+1 to new content, keep it up, love to see it.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

I think it is great!  Even with other tribes open just means we got choices now.
Just having fun.

Quote from: Shabago on January 06, 2023, 10:45:09 AM
Bringing this thread around into the fore once more - due to and direct compliments for Hazelhomewrecker, you all can expect a shiny new* tribe to appear in the game world before too long into the future. I'm presently working on their build, with assistance from Katima/Kaathe.

Kudos to this player for writing a very compelling request/document for these people and taking the discussion by the horns to affect the change.

Kudos indeed to all involved! As a fan of tribal characters, I love it. Having more choices in an underrepresented area isn't a bad thing, it's more appealing to those of us who happen to like that particular area a great deal.
Halaster the Shroud of Death says, out of character:
     "oh shit, lol"

Usiku, "Seemed like Jeffrey Dahmer was pretty pro at the locked apartment kill."

Quote from: whengravityfails on January 06, 2023, 07:10:32 PM
Quote from: Shabago on January 06, 2023, 10:45:09 AM

Kudos indeed to all involved! As a fan of tribal characters, I love it. Having more choices in an underrepresented area isn't a bad thing, it's more appealing to those of us who happen to like that particular area a great deal.

This thang. And bet, I'm coming for one. Not sure when, hopefully not for a long time because, you know, current pc, but, it's happening.

Quote from: Tailong on January 06, 2023, 05:40:52 PM
I tend to agree that we already have what, six human tribes that barely see players? Is a new one really needed?  I mean congratulations on the idea making awesome headway, but instead of something new, how about a revamp and bring about something already there?

Actually, there are only (really) three total options to play for Human tribes. The Al'seik, the Arabet, and the Jul'Tavan. You can't play in the Anyali because there are XYZ things keeping staff from being able to get into their ancient documentation, so it's been closed for over a decade. The Benjari are a wiped-out clan. The Al'seikabet are (essentially) one tribe to play in, despite their cultual and documentation differences. The Jul'Tavan COULD be edited and worked with, but I don't really foresee that happening unless there was significant player interest in it. Opening the Tan Muark would be awesome as well, but that also falls into the same basket as the Jul'Tavan.

So.. is this really true?

I'm just putting in the work and effort to bring some new life to an area that is extremely--as someone else put--under represented right now. I can understand the pessimism, but I don't agree with it.

Meanwhile, the Desert Elves have five whole separate clans to play in, each one active. (No, seriously, there are a LOT of fucking Delves right now).
My brain is constantly filled with the sound of elevator music, as the Gods intended.

Quote from: Yelinak on January 06, 2023, 05:27:10 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 06, 2023, 05:19:39 PM

I have the same thoughts. Hopefully any new tribes will be closely associated with one or more existing groups, so as not to just divide the players up into even more disparate camps.

That's been a hurdle of mine to jump over, and I hope that we've worked in enough external connections with the local player-hubs in-game. I would hate to have a tribe that's secluded off in the wild somewhere that no one ever sees or gets to interact with.
My brain is constantly filled with the sound of elevator music, as the Gods intended.

Having more options is great. It doesn't mean they will all be full while the cities are dead. As pointed out there are only a few human tribal options beyond I-Made-It-Up — I'm certainly interested in something new for the game made by a player and entering lore/documentation.

Isn't this what the GDB Populace has been clamoring for? More agency in directing the game?

--Immanuel Kant

I'm also wondering if a new human tribe is needed, seeing as there seems to be ... Four? Currently available IG. There's the Arabets, the al'Seiks, Tan Muark, and the Bashurits.
I ruin immershunz.

I think if we only imagine what the game 'needs', we will be limited to code updates. If we focus instead on imagining what we want for the game, we can add things like new races, new tribes, new documentation, new clans, and a move away from stagnation and 'same old'.

If anything, the more systemized and approachable the process of 'making new tribe/clan' is, the easier it is to swallow wiping out other tribes/clans instead of treating them as all powerful monopolies/foundations.

I don't think less clans/options == consolidation. It isn't that simple of an equation. If we take away options or limit them, it becomes the stagnation of indecision. Taking away the karma timers was a great step towards allowing players to jump right back into the game and not take a prolonged break just to allow them the options to play what they want.

I say let people play what they want (more options), not 'play where I want you to play', which was the Tuluk Closure Experiment in a nutshell.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Kankfly on January 06, 2023, 10:02:32 PM
I'm also wondering if a new human tribe is needed, seeing as there seems to be ... Four? Currently available IG. There's the Arabets, the al'Seiks, Tan Muark, and the Bashurits.

The Bashurit are a clan for an entirely new race. I know that sounds tongue-in-cheek but that's just what it is. It's not a human tribe.

They're essentially just another human (or elven) tribe. Just weirder to look at.

Point is they're a diluting influence of questionable worth. Just gonna have to see what good they bring, along with yet another clan.

Also will have to see if these new clans survive the initial rush of PCs only to languish open after the first couple generations die off. That's the usual pattern with new clans.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 06, 2023, 10:46:26 PM
Also will have to see if these new clans survive the initial rush of PCs only to languish open after the first couple generations die off. That's the usual pattern with new clans.

I agree with this unfortunately. We see this with the gladiator clan (despite the thread asking for it to be opened), we see this with Tan Muark, what's to say it won't happen with this one?

I hate being the naysayer, and I'm always (used to) be one of the ones that would rather see clans empty than clans closed. But this was back before Tuluk's closure. With our current player base, where essential roles are struggling to be filled, we've had to compromise again and again on quality. If this issue is addressed, and a solution provided, I'm fully on board with this.
I ruin immershunz.

I mean... okay? What if it does fizzle out after a year? That's a year of content that's being offered up for people to enjoy and play in.

I run into human tribals with vnpc tribes all the time. More in-game tribes are not going to hurt anything.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on January 06, 2023, 11:20:30 PM
I mean... okay? What if it does fizzle out after a year? That's a year of content that's being offered up for people to enjoy and play in.

I run into human tribals with vnpc tribes all the time. More in-game tribes are not going to hurt anything.

Exactly this. As someone who has played multiple tribals with vnpc tribes, having more in-game tribes to pick from only gives me the choice to have a "real" tribe. Never once have I said to myself, 'I guess I'll play in this tribe even if I don't want to because I have no other choice.'  There are also some races I have no interest in playing, like the Thryzn, which removes the Bashurit from the equation. I fully support having as many delf clans open as we do, and I heartily endorse having more human tribes as well. Let people play what they want.
Halaster the Shroud of Death says, out of character:
     "oh shit, lol"

Usiku, "Seemed like Jeffrey Dahmer was pretty pro at the locked apartment kill."

Got at least one staffer working on it. Who knows how many other resources being devoted to this whim.

To me it's indicative of a Staff approach that I've been pretty skeptical of for awhile, of just throwing all sorts of shit at the walls and seeing what sticks. It's made the game world feel a little frantic and forced.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 07, 2023, 12:03:13 AM
Got at least one staffer working on it. Who knows how many other resources being devoted to this whim.

To me it's indicative of a Staff approach that I've been pretty skeptical of for awhile, of just throwing all sorts of shit at the walls and seeing what sticks. It's made the game world feel a little frantic and forced.

I'd be curious to hear something you actually do like?  I haven't read every post you make, but my impression is that you generally don't like much and typically complain.  I don't mean to knock that, I truly believe every community needs its consistent complainers, because it helps point out bad ideas.  But as someone who tends to take the negative approach, I'd be genuinely interested in something you do like.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev