Psionists?

Started by Anonymous, November 25, 2003, 08:20:20 PM

Has anyone tried this guild out?  I hear a lot of people say they've tried magickers, but most say except psionists...just curious why.

"tried out"?

Yes, I've ICly boinked many psionicists, and I must say they are, without exception, immaculate in bed.

Malifaxis
-who was too lazy to use proper quotation code.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

LOL.  Thanks, not exactly what i meant, but good information to know nonetheless.

The psionic is an 8-karma required guild, which is probably why few people have tried it out in recent years. Not many people have that much karma :)

Also, the particulars of the skillset are shrouded in mystery to those who have not experimented extensively with it, and rightfully so they should be.

Not many have chosen Psionists... because they are filthy cowards that should all be shot execution style... regardless, its what I consider a hard role to rp. And it's probably pretty difficult to get "good" or what not... my suggestion is that you try urine based sexual activity, and that you test it out ig to really get a feel for it.
ere it comes..

Oh...thats too bad.  The Psionist guild was the one that interested me the most out of every guild in Arm that was outside of the basic ones.  

Not sure i'll be able to get that much karma, whatever 8-karma means...so I guess i wont get to try it out anytime soon if ever :-(

Pretty much a direct quote from what I've read in the docs:

Karma is simply a measure of trust that the staff members have in a given player's:

- Degree of maturity and responsibility as a role-player, as evidenced by playing roles 'realistically.'

- Knowledge of the game world, and an appreciation of the way in which the various races, guilds, and so on, interact.

- Role-playing skill, as evidenced by role-playing in such a way as to show that they are really involved in the game world, and also enriching the game world for other players.

1 karma - Desert elf
2 karma - Water and Stone elementalist
3 karma - Half giant
4 karma - Wind and Fire elementalist
5 karma - Lightning and Shadow elementalist
6 karma - Void elementalist
7 karma - Mul
8 karma - Psi and Sorcerer

Edited to add: If, after playing the game for some time, you feel like you really want to play a psi, there is always the option to special app. (see this link) You write up your idea for the character and send it to naephet@armageddon.org and cc: mud@armageddon.org (don't forget your account name!) and it will be accepted or rejected - if they reject it, you'll probably have an explanation of exactly why, and what you would need to do to achieve your goal, etc.

Awhile ago, the help files for psi skills showed up in the help index.  You couldn't access the help files themselves, but you basically had the names of psi skills.  Oops.  But that is fixed now.  I have intentionally forgot what they all were.

Personally, I've never needed the psionicist guild to make a character concept work.  I've never had a concept that I thought would be that much better by being a psionicist.  When I have a concept that does, I'll apply for a mindbender.  Especially for that class, I think it should only be taken when the concept needs it, rather than when you want to play a mindbender.

Besides, I'd much rather special app a sorcerer than a mindbender anyways!
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Sorcerer over a Psicast? Your are crazy

All you can do with a sorc is anything, devestate entire regions, create massive constructs from snot, make the shield wall move. If your a psi you can only contact people way faster with the way then a normal folk. Psi's are cool!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Dakkon Black"If your a psi you can only contact people way faster with the way then a normal folk. Psi's are cool!

I don't think it would be a level 8 karma if thats ALL you could do!
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Psionicists have a lot of abilities which mimic some staff member abilities, and as such, are extremely rare because the staff need to be absolutely sure they can trust a player before they give them the ability to "watch over" the game world with their psycho powers.

If the player doesn't plan on contributing to the game world in a mighty way, then there really isn't any reason to give the player a psionicist. The class has too many abusable abilities to be used solely for personal amusement. They can conceivably ruin entirely plotlines, both staff and player run, by doing things that no other character class is capable of.

Quote from: "Flaming Ocotillo"...be absolutely sure they can trust a player before they give them the ability to "watch over" the game world with their psycho powers.

Ummm.... Wouldn't that by "Psico"?
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Quote from: "DrunkenSalarr"
Quote from: "Flaming Ocotillo"...be absolutely sure they can trust a player before they give them the ability to "watch over" the game world with their psycho powers.

Ummm.... Wouldn't that by "Psico"?

Its either Psionic or Clairvoyant powers.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

QuoteIf the player doesn't plan on contributing to the game world in a mighty way, then there really isn't any reason to give the player a psionicist. The class has too many abusable abilities to be used solely for personal amusement. They can conceivably ruin entirely plotlines, both staff and player run, by doing things that no other character class is capable of.

Bullshit.

Anyone with hide/sneak can do that as well (not as proficient as a psionicist), but they can stay hidden and listen to a top secret conversation and go spill the beans to people. Furthermore, by discovering a plot in game and revealing it to others (in game) you aren't 'ruining' it. You're simply playing things out. Should I put my fingers in my ears and scream, "LALALALALALA" every time I get whiff of an assassination plot for someone or should I act in character and do what I would do?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Carnage"
QuoteIf the player doesn't plan on contributing to the game world in a mighty way, then there really isn't any reason to give the player a psionicist. The class has too many abusable abilities to be used solely for personal amusement. They can conceivably ruin entirely plotlines, both staff and player run, by doing things that no other character class is capable of.

Bullshit.

Anyone with hide/sneak can do that as well (not as proficient as a psionicist), but they can stay hidden and listen to a top secret conversation and go spill the beans to people. Furthermore, by discovering a plot in game and revealing it to others (in game) you aren't 'ruining' it. You're simply playing things out. Should I put my fingers in my ears and scream, "LALALALALALA" every time I get whiff of an assassination plot for someone or should I act in character and do what I would do?

Your analysis of psionicist abilities tells me you aren't an authority on what the class is capable of. I'm not sure that comparing a psionicist to a thief with a high listen and sneak/hide skill accurately portrays the extent of what mental powers they have at their disposal.

Let's kill this thread before it gets any more IC.  Suffice it to say, psionicists and sorcerors and a few other roles are difficult and dangerous.  This is why not many players have had the opportunity to play them.