All Kings and Queens die, but how do they live thread.

Started by Shabago, October 26, 2022, 01:57:01 PM

Quote from: kahuna on October 26, 2022, 07:20:40 PM
QuoteSo should fun things only go to people who play more time than others?
More time invested should equal more something, I wouldn't say fun but if someone is playing more and doing more they should reap the benefits of that play time, yes.

I have found that to be something closer to the opposite.  The more I invested, the more upset I was that not only did things not go my way, but the complete other way.  It is not a lot different than dynamics I've seen in my career in real life.  The people who kiss the most ass tend to skyrocket to the top.  Them's just life rules.  I take it a lot less personally, now.

Aside from that, there's a lot to like here, Shabago.  This is the kind of thing that the game should've had all along, but no less credit due for finally coming across it.

Quote from: mansa on October 26, 2022, 03:24:33 PM
This has the feeling of something that has started in the past, and ultimately fell through.  (Governorship in Tuluk and being able to 'build' in the ruins, and the Council of Luir's Outpost)

Do you know where the faults were with the previous two systems in the past?
Do you know how to prevent the issues that arose in the two systems?

I would suggest to have an indepth "set the expectations for the players" so there isn't "scope creep"?   

I would like this project to be successful, and I don't want to see the mistakes of the past be duplicated.

Re: Faults in the past two systems.

My particular view is rather simple on those attempts. Too many cooks in the kitchen and or not enough 'true' power to reflect the changes. This is more based upon theme and need than anything else, in those locations. In order to reflect realism, power struggles, opposing views, road-blocks that would have to be over come, political rivals, on and on. That makes a niche space to move in for effected change. Or, with too many cooks, delays and in-fighting on gathering a consensus - OR choices that would've went against theme/power scope. Neither of these apply to the Mul Outpost.

Re: Avoiding the same issues.

By throwing out that tool box as defunct and handing over new tools and power scope, and have a 'King/Queen' to make final decisions and move on it, rather than wait for 'Seniors' to head nod for theme.

Re: Expectations and creep.

Alluded to in the original post. There will be some guard rails to begin with, and be viewed as a pilot project to see how it gets on. Beyond that, rules are posted. If you want individual aspects spoken to outside of the dedicated GDB to the area, ask 'em and I'll answer. This is intended to be rather open source on how it all works to the player base.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Quote from: Wday on October 26, 2022, 04:04:16 PM
With the known of tribes not able to be in a control figure there.  Will the Post be counted as part of the tablelands and tribes there or as something new due to the pc leadership?

It will remain and be considered part of the tablelands. A known entity to the tribes, sure. As to how it's treated going forward - well, that'll be up to the savvy person(s) in control/living there.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 26, 2022, 07:20:35 PM
I've long advocated that if you kill a sponsored role your character gets to become the sponsored role.

Jokes aside, I hope this doesn't further dilute the playerbase or encourage any punitive adjustments to current PC hubs to try and force players towards it.

There is no intention to do so, no.

Instead, natural gravitation based on what's the most 'engaging' will continue to draw the main crowd, I suspect. Nor is anyone locked in to having to be there 24/7. Travel to other areas (and interaction) will likely be a necessity as much as a want, for politics, supplies, etc.

Quote from: Dan on October 26, 2022, 07:26:41 PM
Couple questions:

Do those that take over the Outpost become sponsored in that role?

Yes

Are 'takeover' RPT times established by the owner, attacker or staff?

Attacker initiates with staff, staff acts as middle man mediator for what times work best for everyone - then go time.

Are there going to be takeover times or can it be a surprise to the owning entity of a group just rolls in out of nowhere?

I'm not opposed to adding specific times to work within for 'surprise' attacks, should that prove a need or want.

Can the owning entity set NPCs to be hostile to certain individuals or clans?
   -Does the owning entity get NPCs?

Yes and yes.

Can magickers take over the Outpost?

Yes.

Is there a set limit/list/type of construction upgrade or will we have agency to get creative?

Outside of making sprawling apartment block of barred, impenetrable doors that require battering rams from Ten'Serak to get through? I'm pretty open to creativity.

This is incredible news, and the location is spot on, to include a broad range of players / clans.

Oh Hamburgers!! Super Phun Times Ahead!!!!

Love the premise, but like many others I've a few questions to add.

1 ~ It's been said that existing elf tribes aren't to move in, what about all the other established factions?   Where are we drawing the line here?  Tor, Fale, Kadius, Kurac, East or West rinthies? 
      Or is this mainly aimed at Indies, nomads, MM houses,  start-up crews?

2 ~ Is the Lord/Lady of the outpost allowed to rename "Their" outpost once they have firmly taken hold?

3 ~ Noted that any leader should have a strong second in command should the worst probably never ever happen.. but every character (and player alike) has a shelf life.  Is there going to be
      some manner of allotted time/effort/build structure/political poise, that one Leader must hold the outpost for that brings this venture to a close?   Or at least, no more structured weekly
      incursions from the next Amos and friends?
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

There is a difference between letting elf and human tribes "move in" and letting them trade. Strike a deal for deliveries of x supply and a cut of profits in exchange for letting them set up a stall, etc. Create a supply chain. Logistics.

Tribes are self-interested, and anything that threatens a new source of profit and stability...

That is how you try to make it not worth taking you on, because they're also taking on x, y, z and w tribe.

Quote from: perfecto on October 27, 2022, 09:20:05 PM
      Oh Hamburgers!! Super Phun Times Ahead!!!!

Love the premise, but like many others I've a few questions to add.

1 ~ It's been said that existing elf tribes aren't to move in, what about all the other established factions?   Where are we drawing the line here?  Tor, Fale, Kadius, Kurac, East or West rinthies? 
      Or is this mainly aimed at Indies, nomads, MM houses,  start-up crews?

2 ~ Is the Lord/Lady of the outpost allowed to rename "Their" outpost once they have firmly taken hold?

3 ~ Noted that any leader should have a strong second in command should the worst probably never ever happen.. but every character (and player alike) has a shelf life.  Is there going to be
      some manner of allotted time/effort/build structure/political poise, that one Leader must hold the outpost for that brings this venture to a close?   Or at least, no more structured weekly
      incursions from the next Amos and friends?

1: Yes, this is 'indy' focused by and large. Existing clans/armies are largely out for 'ownership'.
2: They are.
3: No. Anyone can try to take it over at any point. If it can't be held, even with various 'building' done, then I imagine those that take it over will thank you for it and repurpose to their views.  :D

November 01, 2022, 11:24:58 AM #35 Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 12:03:28 PM by betweenford
Despite being out of the way for ownership and such, I can see alot of the clans in the area vying for, vouching, and outright killing said leader for one reason or another, whether by history or hatred of CANT HAVE MAGICKS IN MY BACKYARD stuff. Are these plots going to be dissuaded?

That rather depends on the leader.

If they make political efforts with various groups that present some sort of interest, why would said groups care or want to attack? Killing for killing sake is generally poor form.

If they invite trouble onto themselves, well... they invited it.

Quote from: Shabago on November 01, 2022, 04:49:25 PM

If they make political efforts with various groups that present some sort of interest, why would said groups care or want to attack? Killing for killing sake is generally poor form.

idk quick example is that they're a sorcerer themselves or a sorcerer's servant, despite the politicking and trade and goodwill and such

I played a rinthi sorc once.  When I got outed, a rinthi guildster was hired to kill me.

I was warned by the guildster who was hired, the templar who did the hiring, an AoD person, the other templar, and for the oddest reason some kuraci dude. All within a rl day.  I think diplomacy and politics are a force in this game.

Quote from: betweenford on November 01, 2022, 04:56:16 PM

idk quick example is that they're a sorcerer themselves or a sorcerer's servant, despite the politicking and trade and goodwill and such

Being discovered as a sorc would be inviting trouble. No sorc is permitted to live, by law of the lands or cities.

Killing for killing sake is generally poor form.

Just as a note that "poor form" doesn't stop anyone. I know a concern of mine is that I wouldn't want to be restricted to a dozen rooms (like a slave) and would want to go out, explore, visit settlements etc etc.

Nothing really stops some GMH from saying "You're taking trade away from us so we're going to kill you" or some random 'rinthi elf saying "Nice boots".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 02, 2022, 10:46:28 AM
Killing for killing sake is generally poor form.

Just as a note that "poor form" doesn't stop anyone. I know a concern of mine is that I wouldn't want to be restricted to a dozen rooms (like a slave) and would want to go out, explore, visit settlements etc etc.

Nothing really stops some GMH from saying "You're taking trade away from us so we're going to kill you" or some random 'rinthi elf saying "Nice boots".

Sounds like whoever this is will receive NPCs under their command. I wouldn't be surprised if (at least while in their immediate area of responsibility) they could call them to their side, or possibly take them to certain meetings, along with any other PC followers.

Edit to add: I'd also expect the leader of an outpost to spend almost all of their time there managing the logistics and day-to-day, often employing others to send messages. If Kurac kills your messenger for taking their trade you can set NPCs aggro to them and carry on, sans one dead minion. Then you'd either need to find a way to entice them back to the table.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Okay one of my favorite things I did with a fairly uninteresting dwarf (Keen, King Rat, a touched dwarf) who managed to get promoted just enough in the guild to order around an npc was to have the npc emote in the bar and meta trick people into thinking an imm was around. Honestly though I really did enjoy the extra ability to add atmosphere.
Veteran Newbie

It's been two months, how are people liking it?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on December 25, 2022, 06:19:47 PM
It's been two months, how are people liking it?

That's a question the playerbase is not allowed to answer, because:
a) It's talking about In-Character events and storylines that are current is disallowed.
b) Any of the players involved haven't been dead for more than a year.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It is about a month under a year since this was announced, and a few months since the last rumor board posting have been up on the major city state and rumor boards.

Is this something we can discuss yet? How it went, well, how it went poorly, how it went as exactly as expected, or off the rails.
Veteran Newbie

b) Any of the players involved haven't been dead for more than a year.

Yes, any race can take the outpost.

But you have to consider the losses you'd sustain from seizing an outpost ran by battle hardened muls

I feel pretty confident that project lost all its support when Shabago left.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

The project was dropped due to Shabago leaving staff.

A year hasn't passed on related and linked PCs and events.