Is Armageddon as popular as Dungeons and Dragons? Click to find out!

Started by Riev, October 26, 2022, 12:31:36 PM

Trying not to derail important-topic-of-the-month

Quote from: Abaya on October 26, 2022, 12:08:08 PM
Always check your sources, or you'll end up like those founders of dungeons & dragons and screaming at people that they can't wear masks because it's a conspiracy... There's no mention of where those numbers came from, and it all seems to originate from companies trying to advertise themselves (probably using the topmudsites method of just padding out when feel like it, because no one is checking), including that website

I've never heard much talk about dungeons and dragons until playing Armageddon, it just doesn't really come up in most modern chat/forums for most online roleplaying games. I think it's probably something that is more a thing that people who already like it like, but definitely not mainstream in the way online games are.

Quote from: Abaya on October 26, 2022, 09:10:54 AM
Dungeons and dragons was mentioned as being... Somehow better? But well... Compare what she is doing today, to where they are now? (lol it looks like a parody almost) Dungeons and dragons has almost no audience outside America, it's just not really had much of a cultural impact on most of the world, and likely never will as awareness of it fades. Armageddon on the other hand has an incredible mix of people of all backgrounds, and people have consistently noted that the emphasis on roleplay attracts more people, especially women, that would not be involved in those type of numbers-and-statistics-heavy games normally (because it makes them BORING). I think we've seen it growing as a game, and there's hope.

Interesting takes. Is Armageddon, the game that despite its fun and popularity has never grown over 300 players, more popular and more on the rise than Dungeons and Dragons, a game that saw a massive resurgence the last 10 years and has spawned multi-million dollar Kickstarter campaigns to fund an animated series?

Lets discuss.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Can we trust google? Maybe they're in on it with the other evil corporations.

If you search "multi user dungeon" you get 85k results.

If you search "Dungeons & Dragons" you get 40 million results.

With a little math that works out to D&D being 458 times more popular with google searches than MUDs. I can't believe I just wasted my time doing that but why not.

Don't forget Dungeons and Dragons Online, going to check that one out.
You can check their subreddit to find a server population tool.

Finished LOTRO awhile back (same company) and it was a fun.

I wonder if people only got into the popular video game Dungeons and Dragons Online (and its sister game, Neverwinter) because they were ex Arm players.

We should start advertising on those forums that we're still here, waiting for them to come back. Since they definitely only found the games because of Armageddon's popularity.

I doubt it. AD&D pc gaming was very popular before Arm.

I played the old goldbox AD&D games on the PC when they first came out (1988-1992).
They had a couple of dark sun games too.
Neverwinter Nights for the pc was before Arm.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Box
And, you can get all those on GOG (where you can rebuy games you bought a long time ago..).

That was one of those off the cuff remarks that nobody was believing, and then of course, doubled down.  The fact that Critical Role (a show I do not watch but let's be real, I've heard of) gets that many viewers is enough to shut down any argument to the contrary.  But oh, why not have some fun, I guess.

Edited to be nicer.

I'm glad some people played along. I was hoping to get the clear, balanced, and rational thoughts that are on the other side of the issue.

I think most of the editions were localized in parts of the world, but I never really heard stories of people playing those versions. Well, expect 5e in Russian. I know maybe three Twitch channels that do D&D.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

is this thread even real or am i just draem
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

The idea that Armageddon is more popular than D&D is just a bad faith argument and it was a shitty derail that didn't even have anything to prove.

If Armageddon were more popular, it would change nothing.  If it isn't, it changes nothing.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger