wouldn't it be cool if we had composite mdescs?

Started by Lotion, October 18, 2022, 09:14:34 PM

Imagine a world where the various parts of a character's mdesc were actually tied to various body parts and only shown if that body part is visible and then the game generated a composite mdesc based on what body parts are visible. This could allow a mask to hide only the relevant parts of an mdesc.

There is a huge downside, however. It would be a huge pain in the ass to change our current standard of mdesc to composite mdesc.
* every npc would need to be modified
* every pc would need to be modified
* players would need to relearn how to create their characters
* staff would need to spend more time making sure character applications have all of their mdesc details assigned to the correct body parts

Even so I think it could be worth it, as the implicit features this offers (e.g. masks actually hiding your face) would be extremely useful.

but also it's so much work and I won't be doing most of that work....

You are taking inspiration from other games and I absolutely agree this would be a great addition to arm. Tbh, it wouldn't require a lot of effort. Make certain desc-regions required for applications, IE, general build of their body and head/face. Simply requires a player to fill out two fields in their character application for their mdesc instead of one. Optional for other regions.

who knows if there's code limitations though

Quote from: Cabooze on October 19, 2022, 01:01:46 AM
You are taking inspiration from other games and I absolutely agree this would be a great addition to arm.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote from: Cabooze on October 19, 2022, 01:01:46 AM
Tbh, it wouldn't require a lot of effort. Make certain desc-regions required for applications, IE, general build of their body and head/face.
Head (hair)
Ears (ears)
Face (nose, mouth)
Eyes (eyes)
Torso (chest)
there's a lot more than you would initially think. if this were implemented then perhaps it could be made optional