A guide to better enjoying Armageddon

Started by stoicreader, August 29, 2022, 03:18:50 PM

September 04, 2022, 04:40:44 PM #26 Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 04:43:25 PM by Master Color
By power fantasy I mean players enjoy playing powerful characters that can exercise that power. This is fine on the face of it, but it also sometimes means stupid stuff like killing any character that marginally annoys you or abusing your position in game to grief the players around you.

Also, glancing back through this thread. Some people might say that a character isn't an investment. Characters in this game are a HUGE investment of time and effort. If you play Armageddon, you should be under NO illusion that you need to chunk significant portions of your free time to play the game. Anyone that says otherwise is gaslighting you.

Quote from: Master Color on September 04, 2022, 04:40:44 PM
Also, glancing back through this thread. Some people might say that a character isn't an investment. Characters in this game are a HUGE investment of time and effort. If you play Armageddon, you should be under NO illusion that you need to chunk significant portions of your free time to play the game. Anyone that says otherwise is gaslighting you.

And be ready to lose that investment at any time for any reasons (legit or not).
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Just Play Spurt. It is enjoyable, not time consuming, and keeps your spirits up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPSXn7luu5c

One of you were kind enough to give me a kudos from a player I played over a year ago. I don't know who you are, thank you. But it brought back some memories at the same time I asked about this history of the Void Eyed woman in the Gaj cook pits.

In all of that. I came across a post by another player outside of the GDB, about the Consortium of Wonder.

Regarding the post: O.M.G! :(

And so much of the responses are just wrong mainly about a key player in the clan being a staff member. They have no idea how hard we worked, they were acting like things were just handed to us. It wasn't fun to work that hard. But we felt it was for the posterity of the game. Client side, I remember periodically popping "OOC: I really hope what we're doing will stick around the game, we need a player run bar, this is awesome." We spent that summer working our asses off to make it possible.

And the post itself, this guy burnt bridges with staff to post his opinion of what happened with the Consortium of Wonder. He was polite, but that was a "betrayal" to staff's trust and the rules of IC/OOC. I was surprised. I thought, wow, he's being crazy brave about posting this.

And reading it, my jaw dropped. I literally just said to myself,
Quote"he's just lost all his Karma."

I got up, and was appalled. Mostly with myself. WTF is wrong with me that I even should care? It's a game!!! This OOC/IC rules stuff where I am surprised by a post like that in the depths of the internet. It's perverse that I would even care.

Demonstrably perverse that it should even matter. Somehow, this game warped my thinking so much that I felt hurt about what happened to us players just trying to run a player-run business. Meanwhile I have my own businesses to worry about in Real Life. And the fact that I feel anything at all for an OOC post about a failed business, in the setting of a game that's completely imaginary.....

Holy.

Cow.

Like... Have I got a mental disease that this crap even matters?

Would I allow my son to play this game if he could? Not a chance. I'm pulling the mom card, and am treating myself with some compassion and be done with this poison.
-Stoa

Quote from: stoicreader on September 04, 2022, 08:59:49 PM

I got up, and was appalled. Mostly with myself. WTF is wrong with me that I even should care? It's a game!!! This OOC/IC rules stuff where I am surprised by a post like that in the depths of the internet. It's perverse that I would even care.

Demonstrably perverse that it should even matter. Somehow, this game warped my thinking so much that I felt hurt about what happened to us players just trying to run a player-run business. Meanwhile I have my own businesses to worry about in Real Life. And the fact that I feel anything at all for an OOC post about a failed business, in the setting of a game that's completely imaginary.....

Holy.

Cow.

Like... Have I got a mental disease that this crap even matters?

Would I allow my son to play this game if he could? Not a chance. I'm pulling the mom card, and am treating myself with some compassion and be done with this poison. [/size]

I think its okay to care. I care about my interactions, and my characters. To a point. They are but an avatar in a game world I have no control over. What happens there is there, and does not affect me IRL, to a point. Of course when I die I feel something, or when something doesnt go as planned. But, if you are going beyond base feelings, I'd probably step away. I'd let anyone play cause they are different people, with different expectations and experiences. They are not you.

Real life comes first and that is a mantra I've been known to say to a lot of you in request or in discord.

The game is the game. It's suppose to be harsh and brutal. Good story telling also invokes emotional response. That's pretty natural. We've all had finger-shakes when there's a really intense scene going on and those moments are aces. However, those are momentary and tend to leave a good memory of a good time once passed.

If there is an inability to separate fantasy from reality in the sense that is affects ones well-being IRL, then I absolutely endorse a break from the game. The game should be fun - even the stressful parts, as a means of self challenge to overcome them or out-think your 'opponent' or obstacle. If that is not the case and you're losing sleep - yep. Break it is. Or, as much as it hurts to lose a good player, the suggestion to find a game more in line with their play style and wishes is best.

That done and said, to a few of you in this post:

What are you even here for? I've actively called for a better community and your reactions are to actively try and chase more players away from a game you actively play or want to be fun. I'm entirely baffled by the logic. If your belief is that the game is so terrible - no one here has a gun to your head. Walk. The rest of us would like to focus on enjoyment and growing the player base so we can all have fun, rather than seeing your efforts to shove people out the door.

Thread locked.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.