Lumberjacking Feedback

Started by Ath, July 21, 2022, 12:37:32 PM

So we've had a good bit of time for the new Lumberjacking changes to come out, and I'm about to start work on the next set of trees to get into the game.  I wanted to first touch base on the current trees that are in game, and also lumberjacking itself.  I am hoping to get constructive feedback here, so if you have feedback, please also provide a suggested fix for the problem you're presenting.  Tell us what you like and don't like, I would like both sides of the coin please.

Thank you ahead of time, your feedback is appreciated.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Some trees have no visible crafts...

Quote from: Svalinya on July 21, 2022, 12:57:48 PM
Some trees have no visible crafts...

I would love examples, but all the trees that are able to be chopped down, should have crafts to turn the chopped down pieces into Logs, and there should also be crafts to turn the logs into something.

Please give more details as that would be more constructive and helpful in me figure out what needs work.

I logged a cynipri tree yesterday, but couldn't turn the trunk into usable logs, despite having both decent cooking and lumberjacking. Maybe I needed woodworking instead, I don't know. But I couldn't work them as is.

As for the trees in the game, I like the new system. Much more engaging than standing around typing 'use axe'. Correct me if I'm wrong, cause I often am - but styrax doesn't seem to be harvestable unless it's user error on my part. Due to the nature of it, would the old system make more sense for that particular tree type?

Quote from: adri on July 21, 2022, 01:11:35 PM
As for the trees in the game, I like the new system. Much more engaging than standing around typing 'use axe'. Correct me if I'm wrong, cause I often am - but styrax doesn't seem to be harvestable unless it's user error on my part. Due to the nature of it, would the old system make more sense for that particular tree type?

I believe there was a specialized axe or other tool introduced for harvesting styrax.
Here's the relevant section from the announcement. Unsure if it's already changed or not.

At this time we only want feedback on lag if you see it please.  The amount of trees will more so matter when we're ready to make the change to lumber axes.  We're going to be leaving Styrax alone for now due to all that is involved in Styrax, but there is going to have to be a new axe just for Styrax.  The plan the axe is that it will exist in Red Storm and also for it to be craftable.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: Svalinya on July 21, 2022, 01:04:24 PM
I logged a cynipri tree yesterday, but couldn't turn the trunk into usable logs, despite having both decent cooking and lumberjacking. Maybe I needed woodworking instead, I don't know. But I couldn't work them as is.

If you run into that again, wish up please, so we can come take a look.  Thanks!
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Yeah, there is a separate axe for Stryax trees.  (Basically it is using the old way, and I do want to try to make a pass to get it in line with the current system, but it will have to be customized.)

I've noticed all the baobab trees that I've seen bear "a thick branch of baobab" and none bear "a large branch of baobab". This is unfortunate since both are needed for different crafts.

I suspect a similar situation pertains with "a long agafari branch" vs. "a large branch of agafari".

Maybe this is addressed by future changes (putting in different types of baobab and agafari trees, that hasn't happened yet) or maybe it has to do with where I'm finding these trees or maybe one type of branch is only available by lopping them off in the new lumberjacking mode and that's by design. I don't know. It's just something I've noticed that has made certain crafts much easier and others much harder.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

July 21, 2022, 03:22:49 PM #9 Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:15:23 PM by DesertT
Quote from: Halaster on July 21, 2022, 01:53:59 PM
Quote from: Svalinya on July 21, 2022, 01:04:24 PM

If you run into that again, wish up please, so we can come take a look.  Thanks!

I've found this to be true previously.

I'll do some digging.

ETA:  I was able to make planks, but nothing from the planks.  1, 2, 3, or 4.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Sorta feedback but be sure to update https://armageddon.org/help/view/Use
to reflect the recent changes :)

Quote from: Tisiphone on July 21, 2022, 02:53:05 PM
I've noticed all the baobab trees that I've seen bear "a thick branch of baobab" and none bear "a large branch of baobab". This is unfortunate since both are needed for different crafts.

I suspect a similar situation pertains with "a long agafari branch" vs. "a large branch of agafari".

Maybe this is addressed by future changes (putting in different types of baobab and agafari trees, that hasn't happened yet) or maybe it has to do with where I'm finding these trees or maybe one type of branch is only available by lopping them off in the new lumberjacking mode and that's by design. I don't know. It's just something I've noticed that has made certain crafts much easier and others much harder.

Recently played a lumberjack after the change, one type was obtained by pulling from the tree before you chopped it down, the other from sucessfully harvesting the log.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Theres also some rooms where you can forage for branches. I like the current changes but I javen't really had the chance to play around them.

Quote from: Strongheart on July 21, 2022, 08:46:44 PM
Sorta feedback but be sure to update https://armageddon.org/help/view/Use
to reflect the recent changes :)

Thanks for catching that.  Fixed.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Ath on July 21, 2022, 01:54:21 PM
Yeah, there is a separate axe for Stryax trees.  (Basically it is using the old way, and I do want to try to make a pass to get it in line with the current system, but it will have to be customized.)

Is said axe available, yet? I may just need to look harder!

Quote from: adri on July 22, 2022, 01:44:30 PM
Quote from: Ath on July 21, 2022, 01:54:21 PM

Is said axe available, yet? I may just need to look harder!

You should be able to find it in Red Storm.