Return Of The Dust Runners

Started by CalmThyPalm, July 17, 2022, 10:06:29 PM

Do y'all think it'd actually be neat to open this Red Storm based clan back up for play? Get some more action going on in the village, as well as between it and Allanak?
so long nerds

Ughhhhhh, been begging for this for years.

But for right now, not sure. Enough sneaky avenues.

Quote from: Gentleboy on July 17, 2022, 10:11:00 PM
Ughhhhhh, been begging for this for years.

But for right now, not sure. Enough sneaky avenues.

You can take a break then. I'll do the begging from now on, aha.
so long nerds

Don't think it's necessarily closed, I think anyone can become a Dust Runner through IG efforts.

... probably ...

Quote from: Fawcett on July 17, 2022, 10:41:03 PM
Don't think it's necessarily closed, I think anyone can become a Dust Runner through IG efforts.

... probably ...

Do you mean technically, or in nature? 'Cause unless I'm mistaken, the clan itself is closed to play.
so long nerds

July 18, 2022, 04:51:10 AM #5 Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:41:07 AM by Hestia
Post deleted and replaced with the following:

From the Help File:

QuoteOfficially, the Dust Runners are a trading company in Red Storm Village. They appear to deal primarily in the local specialties of the village, the nearby Silt Sea, and its surrounds - including flour, pearls, and shell - and take these goods to Allanak for profit. Some in Allanak speculate that these specialties also include spice, and that this organization is responsible for smuggling this illegal substance into their city. The accusations are, as far as anyone knows, mere rumors and hearsay.

Lots of players know lots of things, making it common knowledge to lots of players. But lots of players do NOT know lots of things, so always check help files first before posting details about specific clans.  Thanks! -Hestia
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Attempts to get them going have been less than successful in the past, though that goes for a lot of clans that are still open.

The problem seemed to be both lack of interest and frequent deaths of the PCs that did get involved - I'm not sure if they just kept doing stupid shit (tm) or just got unlucky.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

July 18, 2022, 07:40:49 AM #7 Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:53:17 AM by xonn
Without going into IC information, the only way this clan could be opened up in the foreseeable future would be to remove its dependency on other clans, and revamp the clan so that it has functions and aims which do not rely on said other clans.

As that is unlikely to happen anytime soon, in most likelihood this particular clan will continue to remain virtual and not be opened for play.

PS: While the sound and idea of the Dust Runners might appear to be exotic and cool, it is quite restrictive in playability.

July 18, 2022, 10:22:47 AM #8 Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:28:54 AM by Hestia

From the Help File:

Officially, the Dust Runners are a trading company in Red Storm Village. They appear to deal primarily in the local specialties of the village, the nearby Silt Sea, and its surrounds - including flour, pearls, and shell - and take these goods to Allanak for profit. Some in Allanak speculate that these specialties also include spice, and that this organization is responsible for smuggling this illegal substance into their city. The accusations are, as far as anyone knows, mere rumors and hearsay.

Lots of players know lots of things, making it common knowledge to lots of players. But lots of players do NOT know lots of things, so always check help files first before posting details about specific clans.  Thanks! -Hestia
"𝕾𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖜 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖈𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖈𝖐𝖎𝖓𝖌-𝖕𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖊."

Uuuuh I was mostly +1ing other posts.

To try and be more light and humorous because I did nothing wrong, allow me to constructively propose that we give Dust Runners a skill called "keistering."
"𝕾𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖜 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖈𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖈𝖐𝖎𝖓𝖌-𝖕𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖊."

I liked the Dust Runners when I played them.  I felt it was a great solo clan to be in, and there was already a setup that a single player could do things and be active, alone, and not depend on other clans.  I think the rules were set up so that the other clans were blocked in functioning what they wanted to do, and I felt that hampered only the other clans that dealt with them. 

Regarding Red Storm Village itself, I always wanted to have 3 playable clans in that village that anyone can join that fit these roles:
a) combat focused
b) crafting focused
c) thievery focused

It seems, in my time there, that players would be naturally drawn to 'create' a clan with one of those focuses, and that's why I think a lot of player created clans are created in that village - players see a need to gather together and 'play' with each other in some structure, and since there is no official structure there, players make it themselves.

Perhaps that's part of the enjoyment of the village?  Since there isn't any official clan there, players have the opportunity/drive to make whatever they want.

I think the players might get more enjoyment in Red Storm Village if we implemente some of the new player clan functionality that was created in Tuluk.  Automatic Warehouses and Structured NPC vendors, and such.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

July 18, 2022, 08:41:52 PM #11 Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 10:36:59 PM by Inks
I mean, the CW can take all those roles, in the past, and there is usually a Pclan running in Storm with one goal or another. My made Pclan the Red Union torched the Fields in Yaroch at night, onetime. That's why they have vnpc guards patrolling at night now.

The rest of the time they were essentially crafting and exploring and protecting Stormers, but would take on anyone helpful.

My experience with the DR is either they have a really inactive leader so nothing gets going, or they get executed in Nak pretty quick. But I have seen some great players come through that role.

I feel like celfs and Guild can handle any Nakki smuggler rp. Not that there is much reason to play a celf anymore with delfs going wherever and doing whatever now.

July 25, 2022, 01:29:42 PM #12 Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:26:46 PM by Hestia

From the Help File:

Officially, the Dust Runners are a trading company in Red Storm Village. They appear to deal primarily in the local specialties of the village, the nearby Silt Sea, and its surrounds - including flour, pearls, and shell - and take these goods to Allanak for profit. Some in Allanak speculate that these specialties also include spice, and that this organization is responsible for smuggling this illegal substance into their city. The accusations are, as far as anyone knows, mere rumors and hearsay.

July 25, 2022, 01:42:42 PM #13 Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:27:02 PM by Hestia

From the Help File:

so long nerds

July 25, 2022, 04:26:25 PM #14 Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:27:11 PM by Hestia

From the Help File:

I tried to be nice and simply quote the appropriate help file, but apparently that wasn't enough. Topic locked. As I posted upthread a few times:

Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right