Cover Tracks

Started by LindseyBalboa, June 27, 2022, 10:32:38 AM

June 27, 2022, 10:32:38 AM Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:38:11 PM by LindseyBalboa
Currently, hunt does this:

You crouch down and look for tracks.

Less than an hour ago someone moved in from the south.
Less than an hour ago someone moved to the south.
Less than an hour ago someone moved in from the east.
Less than an hour ago a long-strided individual moved swiftly to the east.

Suggested Idea: add syntax "cover tracks"

Usage: cover tracks

You shuffle your feet around, kicking up some dirt.

Should be usable by anyone using wisdom, but get modifiers based on stealth and hunt.
You'll target the most recent track first, but as you get a better roll, you'll obscure more
of the tracks. Might need more than one use to cover up tracks.

Could obscure time, race, and direction, either all at the same time or independently, whatever is
easiest to code. Probably gradually all at once.

Hypothetical returns:

You start trying to cover up your tracks, stomping and brushing your feet around.

These tracks are worthless, scattered and going in every direction.
Less than an hour ago a few faint tracks were made.
Less than an hour ago a few faint tracks were made coming from the west.
Less than an hour ago a long-strided individual was here.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Yasss. I have often wanted this.

Don't need to add a new skill, just use your hunt skill level.
Possibly charge one stamina point, like forage.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

It would also be nice that it would remember more tracks than the current limit of five or w/e. Just remember all tracks until they decay from time.

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on June 27, 2022, 10:32:38 AM
Currently, hunt does this:

Less than an hour ago someone moved to the south.
Less than an hour ago someone moved in from the east.
Less than an hour ago someone moved to the east.

Suggested Idea: add syntax "cover tracks"

Usage: cover tracks

You shuffle your feet around, kicking up some dirt.

Should be usable by anyone using wisdom, but get modifiers based on stealth and hunt.
You'll target the most recent track first, but as you get a better roll, you'll obscure more
of the tracks. Might need more than one use to cover up tracks.

Could obscure time, race, and direction, either all at the same time or independently, whatever is
easiest to code. Probably gradually all at once.

Hypothetical returns:

You start trying to cover up your tracks, stomping and brushing your feet around.

These tracks are worthless, scattered and going in every direction.
Less than an hour ago a few faint tracks were made.
Less than an hour ago a few faint tracks were made coming from the west.
Less than an hour ago a long-strided individual was here.

+1
'One fire drives out one fire,
One nail, one nail.
Rights by rights falter,
Strengths by strengths do fail.'

-Tullus Aufidius, Coriolanus by William Shakespeare

I dig this!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think that on a success, it should eliminate the most recent tracks from what is turned up in a successful hunt.

I think a very talented hunter should be able to see something like:
'Someone covered their tracks here recently'

It might be a cool bonus to give to subguilds like Bounty Hunter and Outdoorsman, where they can reach a high enough level in hunt to see when tracks have been covered.

Someone who is hastily trying to cover their tracks will likely do so for a room, maybe two, but unlikely more than that unless they have the time to. If they are trying to throw a trail, then there should be a chance that a discerning Bounty Hunter can track through rooms with covered tracks and pick up a trail again.

It should also be static -- If the Bounty Hunter/High Hunter can't find the covered tracks on the first try, they can't keep trying 'hunt' to uncover that aspect. They just see a non-return of recent tracks.

This is something that could also be made impossible if too many people have been in the room recently, so you can't cover the tracks of your 5 PC patrol. But you can cover your own tracks, and maybe that of your mount, if you are skilled enough.

It'd be cool too in consideration of 'sneak', in that you could (with time on your side), place a false trail, double back sneakily, and then cover up your real pathway.

I like it!
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I like it.  I've added this to my to-do list.  Meaning... one day eventually possibly.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

On the flip side, if we added more slots for tracks, we should have scent trails, and predators that love to hunt by scent.

Out on the salt flats with muh bag o' meat, baitin' meks.

Quote from: Brokkr on June 28, 2022, 10:51:56 PM
On the flip side, if we added more slots for tracks, we should have scent trails, and predators that love to hunt by scent.

that would actually be really cool, with lots of nuances to add into it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on June 28, 2022, 11:03:34 PM
Out on the salt flats with muh bag o' meat, baitin' meks.

Those are usually called "your internal organs" unless you're a Byn Runner.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

This also creates an interesting concept for 'bait' and more complicated ways of hunting and laying traps for animals.

Consider the following --

Predators could be attracted to the scent of fresh blood (think Raptors, Tembo, or Kryl, as an example) but not be attracted to the scent of decaying meat. So if you are recently wounded and running, a 'Predator' animal might pick up your scent and begin hunting you.

Scavengers could be attracted to the scent of decaying meat and fresh blood (think Gortok, Vultures, Jakhal, Kagor, and so on). If you have a bag of meat on you, say from recently skinning something, you might pick up a scavenger or two that begins trailing you.

Herbivores could be attracted to the scent of fresh herbs or flowers, or satchets/bait might be craftable. The bait could be left in a conspicuous area, so that you might better prepare and hunt something like a Carru or Bahamet.

It creates some interesting options for luring animals rather than needing to find them outright, via both scent trails and scent 'bombs'. Stationary bait might create a radius of 'scent' that can be picked up by a creature passing by (1-2 rooms in cardinal directions), that becomes inert after X amount of time, based on the quality of the bait.

It also might make a way to strategically pass through otherwise very dangerous areas -- You could, say, bait a clutch of Mantis or Kryl away from the direction you are going by leaving a few bloody corpses there, in the hopes of slipping around them. If it works, you avoid them, if it doesn't...You just rang the dinner bell.

Just some food for thought (heh).

--Immanuel Kant

One problem here that nobody's mentioned but you'd run into immediately on trying to use this: How are you gonna cover your tracks leaving the room? If you only modify existing tracks in the current room, your pursuer will see:
  A few hours ago a humanoid moved lightly to the north.
  > n
  > n
The lack of entry tracks isn't really gonna help you.

Ideally, "cover tracks" would cover both your tracks coming into the current room and your tracks leaving the previous room (if applicable)? However I suspect that the tracks data isn't structured - that the code doesn't know which tracks are yours in either room.

Maybe could set a flag on your PC when you cover tracks, and when you leave a room with that flag set, do another skill check to see if you leave any tracks on the way out.

Quote from: Veselka on July 07, 2022, 06:16:32 PM

This also creates an interesting concept for 'bait' and more complicated ways of hunting and laying traps for animals.

Glorious. If nothing else, raptors should def follow the tracks of wounded things.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on July 07, 2022, 09:10:10 PM
One problem here that nobody's mentioned but you'd run into immediately on trying to use this: How are you gonna cover your tracks leaving the room? If you only modify existing tracks in the current room, your pursuer will see:
  > n
  > n
The lack of entry tracks isn't really gonna help you.

Ideally, "cover tracks" would cover both your tracks coming into the current room and your tracks leaving the previous room (if applicable)? However I suspect that the tracks data isn't structured - that the code doesn't know which tracks are yours in either room.

Maybe could set a flag on your PC when you cover tracks, and when you leave a room with that flag set, do another skill check to see if you leave any tracks on the way out.

If you are good at sneaking, there is a chance that you don't leave tracks, but that is a fair point. Maybe if you could:

>cover tracks east

It would try to cover the most recent tracks in that direction. It should cost stamina and take time (delay: after), so that you can't just spam covering tracks ad nauseum. If you were being actively chased by someone (or something) that is hunting you, you should maybe be able to do it once or twice just to try and throw off the trail.

--Immanuel Kant

ah yes my favorite magick spell, detect scent trails