Feedback on Idea Wanted: Rationalization of Existing Mundane Subclasses

Started by Brokkr, June 20, 2022, 05:54:28 PM

Just a sidenote - Journeyman throw can still be pretty good and reliable. I've used it many times and I would miss it.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on July 03, 2022, 05:55:41 AM
Just a sidenote - Journeyman throw can still be pretty good and reliable. I've used it many times and I would miss it.

with a high enough agility roll, i guess it would be.

it wouldn't be the only sub with 7 skills (rogue) why not give it c hunt at adv or j.man and let it keep throw?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Not agility.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Fredd on July 03, 2022, 12:44:29 AM
That makes sense. AFAIK no subclass has C.hunt. And it would be great to be able to get it there.

It looks like it would fit rogue but... That'de make rogue to OP, imho.

Bounty hunter has city and wild hunt.

Quote from: X-D on July 03, 2022, 10:53:44 AM
Not agility.

Oh yeah. Duh. it's early.

Quote from: Miradus on July 03, 2022, 10:56:10 AM
Quote from: Fredd on July 03, 2022, 12:44:29 AM
That makes sense. AFAIK no subclass has C.hunt. And it would be great to be able to get it there.

It looks like it would fit rogue but... That'de make rogue to OP, imho.

Bounty hunter has city and wild hunt.

Thank you for pointing that out. I missed it.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I think this is overall a really positive change because it'll free up options previously barred for new players. These are the lifeblood to any game, and making positive changes towards opening the doors and being inclusive really rocks. I'm especially excited to see updates to things like Master Chef and Roughrider, seflishly, since each would appeal to me and my character choices.

The only thing I might be remiss about would be the possible loss of customcrafter, because I had a adventurer/custom crafter concept that really rocked. I don't have time to disseminate each and every skill change or go through the whole thread, but overall,  I like it and wanted to say I like it a lot.

After thinking on it.

it would still be nice to have c. hunt on a stealy subclass. (bounty hunter not being this obv.)

Yeah I know I'm beating this inix pretty hard. but I don't think it's dead yet.

Quote from: betweenford on July 04, 2022, 11:38:59 AM
Grebber

Has absolutely no stealing abilities.

I have gone through all the comments up until this point and they have been considered for incorporation.  Not everything has been incorporated, but a number of suggestions, or at least the reasoning behind them, has been.

Looking for suggestions on individual subclasses now.  Please keep in mind these suggestions should conform to the following:

• All zero karma subclasses need to keep all existing skills.
  • Maximum of seven skills per subclass.  If you make a suggestion that would make it go over, you need to suggest what would be removed, keeping the above point in mind.
  • There are certain Abilities that will remain limited on subclasses, like the ability to quit in the wilderness or regenerate moves at a higher rate.

I have tried to indicate changes since the last versions by making the text red.  At this point "Mastery" subclasses were pulled off the table, due to very mixed to negative feedback.  Custom Crafter is a question mark, it will probably remain.

In the past, 0 karma subclasses did not have branching, but many Extended Subclasses did have branching.  I have not included branching as I would like to firm up the skill list first.  Most (although not all, e.g. Linguist) subclasses will likely get branching.  Fortunately putting in branching will not create problems with characters already in the game.  If you want to suggest branching paths, feel free.

On subclass changes, I need to talk to other Staff, but I've come around to considering allowing it if it is a change to the remaining subclass if requested.  Meaning Marksman could only change to Archer, Outdoorsman only change to Hunter, etc.  Skills would both be added and removed as befits the new subclass, you would not get to retain skills that were only on the old Extended Subclass.  Thus it is a choice to be made with this in mind.

Apologies in advance for any errors, getting it into a format for players to view is a bit manual.
Imgur locations for folks that find it easier to view there:

https://imgur.com/a/rpn0Yox
https://imgur.com/a/7bcsQJA
https://imgur.com/a/p3oDh9i

Can I make a suggestion for an elf-only bounty hunter that swaps ride for med+ move regen?

A random thought...but what if we removed karma from extended subs, but removed them from chargen?  What if our current 0-karma subclasses evolved into the extended subclasses?  Some sort of system where the extended subclass -was- the 'branch' of the current 0 karma ones?

I'll go over the individual classes later on today, but reading over your last post (Brokkr) made me think of the whole branching concept, plus the karma-requirement for extended subs rubbing people the wrong way, plus the power 'out of the gate' of some of the subclasses.  Or is that all too much codework/restructuring in the first place?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

At first glance, without indepth observations:

Slipknife with blowgun use.  Could be overpowered. 
Poisoner with blowgun use.  Could be overpowered.

I still don't like the skillset that Crafter has.   I think it could do a bit better to be more interesting for players.
Master Potter - I'm still on the fence whether it should exist at all or not.

Con Artist with Peek - yay
Swordsman with disarm and two handed - very nice.
Grebber with Sling Use - nice
Archer getting Crossbow Use at master - nice
Fletchery to Weapon Crafter - Yay
Leatherworking to Tailor - Yay
Bard getting low level steal - Yay

House Servant's Pilot skill should be Master, in my opinion.  Same with Caravan Guide.    I don't think it should be limited to advanced.  Having it at master means you won't ever make a mistake, where you make a mistake pretty often at journeyman/advanced.

Everything seems good.  9/10.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

No way to do, nor would we really want to, race specific subclasses.

Quote from: mansa on July 06, 2022, 04:20:08 PM
At first glance, without indepth observations:

Slipknife with blowgun use.  Could be overpowered. 
Poisoner with blowgun use.  Could be overpowered.

Slipknife already gets throw and backstab to deliver poisons with, this is just another method.
Poisoner doesn't get hide.

I still don't like the skillset that Crafter has.   I think it could do a bit better to be more interesting for players.

Please note the limitations.  Crafter already has 7 skills.  It is what it is.
To be great with clayworking you pretty much need dyeing, and Crafter already has 7 skills.

House Servant's Pilot skill should be Master, in my opinion.  Same with Caravan Guide.    I don't think it should be limited to advanced.  Having it at master means you won't ever make a mistake, where you make a mistake pretty often at journeyman/advanced.

That is one of the mistakes I warned might exist.  On my docs I had changed House Servant pilot to master, but forgot to copy it over.  Ditto Caravan Guide.

The grebber sling-use thing feels kinda outta nowhere, neat as it might be. choosing that over some other grebbing-oriented skill like cooking or ljacking or like... bandage or something it just feels odd.

Quote from: betweenford on July 06, 2022, 04:38:38 PM
The grebber sling-use thing feels kinda outta nowhere, neat as it might be. choosing that over some other grebbing-oriented skill like cooking or ljacking or like... bandage or something it just feels odd.

It was asked that sling use be included somewhere.  This was the best fit.

Grebbers don't need fletchery to make sling stones, as if they forage a lot, they will no doubt find lots of naturally occuring sling stones, thus the synergy.  Cooking, lumberjacking and bandage would seem to make much less sense than someone figured out a simple use for all these stones they were grebbing anyways?

Thief looks solid. You can slap that onto any main class, and be able to rely on it's abilities in the city to steal from npc's, and then pc's at the top end of your abilities.

Poisoner looks awesome. But my note: No one is going to let someone with jman skinning, skin anything they want the poison from. With most things having advanced skills, why not push it up to adv.  So it's reliable?

Quote from: Brokkr on July 06, 2022, 04:28:51 PM

Please note the limitations.  Crafter already has 7 skills.  It is what it is.
To be great with clayworking you pretty much need dyeing, and Crafter already has 7 skills.

For reference:

Subclass Name:Skill:Proficiency:
CrafterForageAdvanced
ValueAdvanced
BasketweavingMaster
ClayworkingMaster
Club MakingMaster
StonecraftingMaster
ToolmakingMaster
Master PotterForageMaster
HaggleAdvanced
ValueAdvanced
DyeingMaster
ClayworkingMaster
ToolmakingMaster
Pain Tolerance Perk
JewelerHaggleAdvanced
ValueAdvanced
Feather WorkingAdvanced
JewelrymakingMaster
StonecraftingAdvanced
ToolmakingAdvanced

I have changed my mind.   Master Crafter, Crafter, and Master Potter could all be combined into this:

Master PotterForageMaster
HaggleAdvanced
ValueAdvanced
DyeingMaster
ClayworkingMaster
ToolmakingMaster
StonecraftingAdvanced

"Crafter" and "Master Crafter" doesn't seem to fit anywhere as a theme.  It just is a random combination of limited crafting skills.  It used to be picked because it was one of the few that got Toolmaking, but that has now changed.
Basketmaking & Clubmaking are, in my opinion, some of the worst crafting skills you can possibly get, because they don't have high-end expensive crafts that are worth anything to sell to people.   I suggest that since it doesn't make sense as a thematic choice, and shouldn't be offered at all.  It will be one more confusing option for new players to choice from.

I suggest to strike crafter out, and give Stonecrafting at advanced to Master Potters. 

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Fredd on July 06, 2022, 04:47:19 PM
Thief looks solid. You can slap that onto any main class, and be able to rely on it's abilities in the city to steal from npc's, and then pc's at the top end of your abilities.

Poisoner looks awesome. But my note: No one is going to let someone with jman skinning, skin anything they want the poison from. With most things having advanced skills, why not push it up to adv.  So it's reliable?

I think one of the upcoming changes to poison is that you can brew it, so that would be the primary source of poisons.  It would be a reduction of the need to get it from certain beasts only.

I would like to know why potters get pain tolerance.

Quote from: mansa on July 06, 2022, 04:50:44 PM

I think one of the upcoming changes to poison is that you can brew it, so that would be the primary source of poisons.  It would be a reduction of the need to get it from certain beasts only.

Valid. but we may start with a base poison, and make it stronger from there. If that is the case, then skinning will still be very important.

You could be out there killing the thing yourself, not skinning someone else's kill?  And it plays into knowing a little about anatomy, to know where the poison is from to do [redacted all the stuff that might change with poisons].

Quote from: betweenford on July 06, 2022, 04:53:06 PM
Quote from: Fredd on July 06, 2022, 04:51:07 PM
I would like to know why potters get pain tolerance.
THE KILN IS HOT

...or something idk

Pretty much the reasoning someone on Staff gave for adding it.