'Call' other PCs to service

Started by MeTekillot, June 16, 2022, 08:16:37 PM

Let leaders call other PCs to service. Make it a nosave to automatically agree to attempts by clan leaders to call you. For unclanned, have it open up a window of time for the target to 'stand with leader' to agree.

Makes you follow the caller and heed their commands with 'order'. You can stop following them to undo this.

Like a charm command?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Brokkr on June 17, 2022, 12:34:08 PM
Never.
Thank you.

Maybe let a few more clans have access to whoc? Save some Focus Points trying to find people that should be working for you?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I staffed on a game with social imperative commands (coded social combat like the ability to lie and make someone believe it) and people that would be fine getting murdered without any warning would flood the request queue when they were codely forced to do something they, the player, didn't want to do. Didn't matter what, could be something they would've wanted to.

And I get it. Nobody wants their characters's personalities and physical responses to be controlled by someone else. That's the job of the player, to react and play.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: Riev on June 17, 2022, 12:41:55 PM
Never.
Thank you.

Maybe let a few more clans have access to whoc? Save some Focus Points trying to find people that should be working for you?

In my experience as leader, often, staff is willing to give who c to you if you tell them why you think you need it :)
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: zealus on June 17, 2022, 01:02:58 PM
Quote from: Riev on June 17, 2022, 12:41:55 PM
Never.
Thank you.

In my experience as leader, often, staff is willing to give who c to you if you tell them why you think you need it :)

I was told very recently that who c is for tribals only after requesting it.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Haha, consistency
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I think,

Anytime you remove agency from a player, you run the risk of ruining their play.

Some of the risks are inherent to the gameplay session, and those risks the player has opted into, like combat (agency can be removed when you die, but you still give the player agency to type 'flee')   Players greatly dislike when something has happened to their character that they didn't have control over:
* When another player 'steals' from your character, and you as a player couldn't defend against it.
* When your character gets moved forcefully from the room you placed them.  You opt into "follow" and can stop following characters, but when someone "subdues" you and moves you to a room you didn't want to go, that is a moment of dislike.

Being charmed / having someone else force your character to do actions you didn't decide to do is a great moment when you lose agency with your character.  If it didn't have great lead-up to the event, and a great resolution, it will always feel bad and taint your experience.

This is why the staff added 'DO NOT FOLLOW THE BYN SERGEANT OVER A CLIFF' functionality.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

How about a new templar or mindbender spell that gives you access to the player's My Documents folder or their browser history?

I can see no way in which turning actual players into NPC's to do someone's bidding would be in any way good for the game and I for one would log the F out if anyone tried to use this on me.

QuoteI can see no way in which turning actual players into NPC's to do someone's bidding would be in any way good for the game and I for one would log the F out if anyone tried to use this on me.

It may not have been his actual intent, but I saw this as another idea centered around making mass combat and group play manageable.  He just did it via existing methods of mass combat (having one controller) versus newer code blocks that make it easier for each individual player.

I'm not in support of this particular method, but I just see it as a continuation of other threads on that topic.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

June 18, 2022, 08:17:04 PM #11 Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:11:23 PM by MeTekillot
it really seems to me that absolutely none of you read the actual post. this is specifically the choice of any person who would be called. you can refuse by just not standing with them and keeping your nosave options configured a certain way.

EDIT: perhaps I worded that harshly. this idea is meant to foster cooperation among or outside of clans. it would take a significant level of trust for you to let another player control your character, and that's what I meant with the nosave options.