Code Command: Hitch

Started by LindseyBalboa, June 06, 2022, 07:15:16 PM

Hitch

Usage: hitch (mount)

How to use: You hitch it to something nearby. Allows emote.

ie,

hitch beetle (tying its reins to a nearby baobab)

What it does: Locks a mount into place until someone uses the 'unhitch' command, which echoes.

Hitching a mount has no delay. What hitching a mount does is require one to use 'unhitch' to take the mount over. Using unhitch causes a 20 second delay for any character, including the original hitcher, meaning that it has some drawbacks to use and should be used judiciously.

Unhitch also emotes to the room, and is a visible action.

Counter to the commandl:

Sleight of hand. Use 'unlatch' to quietly unhitch someones mount. Could make it quicker, as well.

What problem does it solve: It gives a delay that allows anyone nearby and watching their mount time to potentially respond, and makes it slightly harder to take a mount and walk off with it (something I've both done and had done to me).

Coding difficulty:

Low. Could just cannibalize a few other commands for the code.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

don't like this at all

would love if you could target someone with unhitch to unhitch a mount and pass them the reins because currently some git could just hitch the mount before the person you want to give it to first and fuck off with a successful grief

unhitch 2.sunback amos
and then you pass the reins to amos
probably would need a nosave added or just go off of nosave receive

Quote from: Lotion on June 06, 2022, 11:52:33 PM
don't like this at all

would love if you could target someone with unhitch to unhitch a mount and pass them the reins because currently some git could just hitch the mount before the person you want to give it to first and fuck off with a successful grief

unhitch 2.sunback amos
and then you pass the reins to amos
probably would need a nosave added or just go off of nosave receive

Not sure what any of that has to do with the original idea.  The original idea is about having it 'hitched' to nothing, so that there is an additional step required to combat the same grief you're talking about.  With them combatting the same thing, but one being 'giving to someone else' and the other being 'I have no one else to hitch it to', that's confusing as to why one is good and one is bad.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on June 06, 2022, 07:15:16 PM
Hitch

Usage: hitch (mount)

How to use: You hitch it to something nearby. Allows emote.

but I say unto you:
Usage: hitch (mount) room
(That syntax works as an extension of the existing hitch command.)

Just doing this, with the 20 second unhitch delay or whatever, lets you tie up a mount while you run into the Jiffy Mart without instantly losing it to elves. That's worth doing with or without any other changes.

More wins:
- Reduce the unhitch delay based on ride skill. More convenient for riders; haha suck it elves.
- Yes, support "unlatch mount" to stealthily unhitch a mount. Should work for mounts hitched to a person or a room. Should be risky even at master sleight of hand, in keeping with the tradition of mount stealing being an awesome risky game. haha suck it roundears
- MAKE people hitch their mounts when not in use:
  - Get rid of mount resting. Mounts recover stamina whenever not being ridden.
  - Make mounts wander when not hitched. If you don't hitch your mount he will wander off.
  - therefore if you're gonna go do some climbing or whatever while Bobby the Inix rests, you gotta hitch him to the room.
  - (Mounts forage better when not hitched tho.)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.