The Sorcerer Debate

Started by Fredd, May 04, 2022, 09:32:54 PM

So staff have put a stop on Sorc.'s and are debating their purpose in the game. And they have invited us to argue amongst ourselves while they eat some popcorn and get some insight.

I would like to see becoming a Sorc a thing you can achieve in game if you really worked at it. It would make it a goal worth achieving, and be less "instant antagonist"

Because...Why do we NEED that? Tuluk and Allanak are open, and are natural antagonists. Let's play that up a bit.

If a Sorc WANTS to become a better raider by becoming a Sorc, sure, lets them. But opening it to mundanes to learn will bring a lot more different kinds of Sorcs into the world. ALL of which will be villains in the major cities.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

From https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,57949.0.html
QuoteWe would like to see your feedback and ideas, but are going to request that it be delivered via the request tool, rather than GDB or Discord.

It's not that we don't want open discussion, it's just that this particular topic we'd rather there not be because of how much sensitive information and FOIC type info there is in regards to sorcs.  You're welcome to send in your ideas via request!

"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Sorcerers were always a bit overpowered, but they were somehow less overpowered back in the day when they only had their spells. Before it became a series of subclasses, sorcerers had to do everything through the power of spells alone, and that gave them weaknesses and shortcomings. Not everything can be accomplished via magick.

Then it was turned into a trio of subclasses that could be paired with a main class, and it just feels like this broke the game. See, Plainsman and whoever were almost unbeatable, but there was at least technically a chance to counter them outright if you had something that nullified the advantage that all those spells gave them. Won't go into details about what that might be, because FOIC, but there were ways. Even if those ways weren't necessarily available to everyone.

Now, sorcerers have less spells available to them than in the past, but they also get to have master sneak/hide, or master combat skills, or whatever they get from the class they chose. In a lot of ways, this made them far stronger than they were back in the day. They might not have the full arsenal of all elemental magicks, but even a third of that arsenal can be stronger when coupled with the right class. How do you hunt down a guy who's invisible and hidden? How do you defeat someone who has [probably redacted spells] and master parry and shield use?

It feels like this broke the game. There were ways around it in the past. You could wait until certain spells wore off and ambush the guy at an opportune moment, you could try to get someone with certain abilities that countered elemental magicks, you could ingrain yourself with the sorcerer's group and attempt to slit his throat when he thinks you're his best friend. These things stopped working once sorcerers had not only their spells but also a full-fledged mundane class on top.

Wow, you guys are terrible at reading instructions.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."