Mindworms, Metagaming, Playability, and things you might have taken for granted

Started by Mercy, February 25, 2022, 05:00:31 PM

Kind of rezzing this thread but something not really covered by the relatively new roleplay with psionicist helpfile...

How do you all generally treat the more extrasensory psionic-caused echoes that aren't so easily dismissed or explainable by regular body dysfunctions? Like stuff that specifically references the mind instead of thought, in that you'd be feeling actual atypical metaphysical psionics stuff.

Quote from: betweenford on June 02, 2022, 09:07:39 AM
Kind of rezzing this thread but something not really covered by the relatively new roleplay with psionicist helpfile...

How do you all generally treat the more extrasensory psionic-caused echoes that aren't so easily dismissed or explainable by regular body dysfunctions? Like stuff that specifically references the mind instead of thought, in that you'd be feeling actual atypical metaphysical psionics stuff.

Could you give some examples?
[please don't list examples - thanks, Hestia]
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 02, 2022, 01:26:59 PM
Could you give some examples?

Stuff like...?
[edited by Hestia]
Stuff not involving the five senses.
Like:
[please no examples - Hestia]

The same as you would in real life if you thought you felt a hand on your shoulder, probably. Spooked, then "oh that wasn't real."
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Sorry - gotta halt this conversation.
-Hestia

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on June 02, 2022, 01:51:33 PM
The same as you would in real life if you thought you felt a hand on your shoulder, probably. Spooked, then "oh that wasn't real."
I think its a bit weird to have this sort of reaction to it when its not like a phantom touch to your sense of touch but something interacting with like a projected sense of self or however people's personal psionic space is perceived

Quote from: betweenford on June 02, 2022, 01:59:43 PM
Quote from: LindseyBalboa on June 02, 2022, 01:51:33 PM
I think its a bit weird to have this sort of reaction to it when its not like a phantom touch to your sense of touch but something interacting with like a projected sense of self or however people's personal psionic space is perceived

In my experience, even with new documentation, its still "There's a psi around and its probably that new PC so I'm going to spread a rumor its that new PC".

Got'eem.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

In a world where magick exists and commoners are heavily superstitious I still find it jarring that we're supposed to completely ignore clumsy, failed mindbending. I can see brushing off intrusive thoughts but when it's something that's wildly out of character, it's not an enjoyable or cohesive story to just shrug and go about your day. When you're superstitious enough to think whiran blood cures lung cancer you're probably going to react to thinking and feeling things that make zero sense and clearly show that the person (or staff member, if it's an animation) did not do their research about your character and who they are. We're essentially supposed to be meat puppets no matter how lazy the roleplay? That doesn't sit right by me.

Plus, if they've been educated, they shouldn't have to simply brush it off. It doesnt mean their first thought should or has to be "mindworm" but they should be allowed to be suspicious and weirded out.

Then there's just clumsy mistskes. People responding directly to things they couldn't have heard save by <redacted>. I'm supposed to ignore that? Especially if they're already suspicious? I guess it was just a masisive, very specific coincidence.. that happened more than once.

Anyone whose RP'd with me knows I follow the guidelines of brushing things off, to the point of having a fairly educated character still shrug things off, but that doesn't mean I agree with the guidelines. I think they give too much power to psions to not have to do their research and lay groundwork and others are forced to roll with it or they're a "bad roleplayer." Being jarred out of character and forced to find a way to roll with it isn't fun and nor does it make much sense compared to the backdrop of a world steeped in magick and superstition.

Having played a Psi before... it is hard to "do your research" when you need to have already done your research to not out yourself.

No, I don't agree with a psion making you like... Desire to kill all nearby elves and you have to brush it off and play along, especially if you're a secret elf lover.

What I do agree with is "just because something weird happened doesn't mean the person who walked in is a psi". As a game, well... PROBABLY its them but still. A suspension of disbelief.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

The help file doesn't mention what kinds of things psionicists can do. This is intentional. I'm going to lock this thread because it's really impossible to NOT talk about what psionicists can do, when discussing what psionicists can do.

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Psionicists

The help file doesn't mention what kinds of things psionicists can do. This is intentional. I'm going to lock this thread because it's really impossible to NOT talk about what psionicists can do, when discussing what psionicists can do.

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Psionicists
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger