An upgrade to the T'zai Byn's facilities

Started by Incognito, January 09, 2022, 01:26:21 PM

January 09, 2022, 01:26:21 PM Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 01:42:37 PM by Incognito
Since the T'zai Byn provides almost all kinds of training to its runners (and higher ups), it would not be such a bad idea to add-on a couple of ideas, in the same spirit :

a) Have a yard where Bynners can practise mounted combat - lets say for example on the day there's Desert Survival Training and there's no sergeant or authorized PC around to take the Bynners out. Once a tenday IC wouldn't hurt and it would really add to the weekly schedule instead of just spending the Desert Survival Training slot in more sparring.

b) The morning sessions are set aside for sparring, and we can leave those untouched. But, sometimes, in the afternoon sessions of the weekly schedule, when there are combat sessions, there are times when a PC might not find any other PC to train with. It'd be nice to have the archery range set up with an NPC who could hand out a training bow or crossbow with lets say 3 arrows/bolts, to be used to practise with. Upon finishing a practise session, when the PC leaves the archery range, the NPC collects the bow/crossbow back (similar to how keys are collected in apartment complexes).
For example:
enter range
ask NPC bow
NPC hands you a bow and 3 arrows (the bow's pull is set to your PC's specific strength)
You practise till you are done.
leave range
NPC takes back your bow

This is just so PCs don't end up taking the bows/crossbows to shops and selling them. The practise arrows and bolts could also be set to 1 obsidian coin value, so that no shopkeeper buys them.

Also, this would be a good addition because most PCs who join the Byn as runners cannot afford a bow to begin with. Furthermore, even those PCs who do manage to acquire a bow, might not have the ability to buy/make arrows. Same goes for crossbows and bolts. The Byn does provide PCs mounts when there are contracts, and then those mounts are returned to the Sergeants, so why not practise projectile weapons?

The idea is definitely not to reduce the importance of interaction and trade with PCs (and NPCs) who sell bows/crossbows/arrows and bolts, it's more to allow PCs to get a more "rounded" combat training over the course of their stint in the Byn, and also give Byn PCs something to do when there's no other players to interact with.

It goes without saying that abuse of these facilities, would attract the same consequences as say sparring on an off-day or more, depending on the specific circumstances.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Last time I was in Byn, I recall staff was saying we had an extra profitable year and if sergeants were going to maintain the rate, they'll begin construction of a mounted training yard.

I think we all died the next day.

I feel like these are good ideas, but also things that could be achieved IC by the Byn's leaders.
You try to climb, but slip.
You plummet to the ground below...

Quote from: Tranquil on January 09, 2022, 01:45:00 PM
I feel like these are good ideas, but also things that could be achieved IC by the Byn's leaders.

If Staff is fine with these ideas, I'm sure Byn leader PCs would be more than happy to pursue these goals ICLY. Might take a while but hey, Allanak wasn't built in a day!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

January 09, 2022, 05:11:46 PM #4 Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 05:15:25 PM by The Lonely Hunter
Post changed due to the current game environment.

In short, do it IC instead of expecting it because it makes sense to you OOC
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

January 13, 2022, 08:22:46 AM #5 Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 08:34:57 AM by Incognito
Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on January 09, 2022, 05:11:46 PM
In short, do it IC instead of expecting it because it makes sense to you OOC

Quote from: Tranquil on January 09, 2022, 01:45:00 PM

Respectfully, this is not really adding anything to the post or the idea behind the post.

"Achieve it IC" is something that can be said about almost 90% of the ideas on the General Ideas thread, and is something every player who's been around longer than 6 months knows.

It's the Arm equivalent of "have you tried turning it off and on again?"

The premise was that this is something the Byn should have in-place, and be providing already, and NOT something a PC or a handful of PCs be pursuing IC. That'd be akin to asking Kadian PCs to ICLY work on getting a brewing still, or Kuraci PCs to ICLY work on getting a tillering rig.....

Yeah character goals suck when you just want the thing.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger