vertical room linking opinion

Started by Lotion, November 18, 2021, 05:15:11 PM

November 18, 2021, 05:15:11 PM Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:32:04 PM by Lotion
edit: This post is not in regards to the weird network of fly rooms where there are many rooms that go up to a smaller "grid" of fly rooms.

Two rooms exist, room A and room B.
Room A is ABOVE room B which is BELOW room A.

The following good situation[1] should always be the case:

• Room A has a down exit which links to Room B

• Room B has an up exit which links to Room A

It is not always the case and I have found at least one bad situation[2] where vertical room links are nonsymmetric:

• Room A has a down exit which links to room B

• Room B has no up exit

My opinion is that all examples of the bad situation[2] should be either unlinked completely or changed so that the two rooms conform so the good situation[1].

Feedback from players and staff on this opinion is welcome.

Footnotes:
1) This text is colored green to relate the situation that I find preferable without giving it a name.
2) This text is colored red to relate the situation that I do not find preferable without giving it a name.

There's a lot of rooms in -Popular location- that are linked from the room above but not the room below. To an extent, this makes sense. You're -in the room above it-, and there may be reasons why you can't climb up.

However, this means you can't LOOK up as well. Which is annoying. You have no idea if:
1: There's a climb room above you that you'd have to find the entrance to from somewhere else (IE: Find a building, go up the stairs, out the window)
2: Someone could be running around up there and if the air up there ain't coded to echo to the street, you'd be blind as a bat.

It also means you can't shoot up at them should they shoot down at you.

I think there's some game design principles that need to be clarified.

What are the mode of transportation between the rooms?
-> Are these climb rooms?
-> Are these fly rooms?

What kind of rooms are they?
-> Are they inside the city?
-> Are they in the wilderness?

Did you want fly rooms to be 1 : 1 all-the-time? 
-or-
Should fly rooms be able to travel faster around the world than ground rooms?

There's a bunch of different ways to build your world.

Here's an idea:
  +---+---+---+---+---+---+      +---+---+---+---+---+---+
  | a | b | c | d | e | f |      | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 2 |
  | g | h | i | j | k | l |      | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 2 |
  | m | n | o | p | q | r |      | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 2 |

up from a is 1
up from b is 1
up from c is 1
up from d is 2
up from e is 2
up from f is 2
up from g is 1
up from h is 1
up from i is 1
up from j is 2
up from k is 2
up from l is 2
up from m is 1
up from n is 1
up from o is 1
up from p is 2
up from q is 2
up from r is 2

down from 1 is h
down from 2 is k

Problems:
You can shoot up from a and hit 1, but you can only shoot down from 1 and hit h
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

November 21, 2021, 02:46:06 PM #3 Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:49:04 PM by MeTekillot
Add an ascend/descend command that moves you from the series of rooms that should be above all outdoor rooms. Have each area have an over room such as 'Flying over the Vrun Driath' or 'Flying over the Gol Krathu'.

When you 'descend' without arguments, it puts you in a random flying room. But you could descend with either chess notation or matrix coordination to choose a specific room to move down to.

Falling from one of these over rooms should incur as much damage as falling from 5 rooms.

November 21, 2021, 06:31:05 PM #4 Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:52:30 PM by Lotion
This was specifically about climbing rooms. I've never been under the effects of fly spell and have no informed opinion on the matter, updating OP to clarify.

Recently I experienced a strange situation where I was climbing down a cliff with a mount and my mount did not follow me down the cliff. There was no up exit in the room I climbed into from above.

In theory fly rooms could be 1-1 with a very small movement delay.

toss stone up
hmmm
the elf scratches his head
toss stone up
look up

toss stone up;toss stone up;toss stone up
Veteran Newbie

This comes up every now and again.  We change things like Lotion found sometimes, when we are also wondering why it was done that way.

As to why it is this way, probably lost to history.  However, it is good to keep in mind this is a game, not a simulation.