Wrest: brute alternative to stealing

Started by MeTekillot, October 27, 2021, 01:41:31 AM

A command called "wrest" for using brute force to steal from still-conscious people. Always EXTREMELY noticeable of course and instead relies on various physical rolls rather than stealth/awareness.

wrest longsword soldier's belt
You grapple with the muscular soldier, wresting their longsword!

---OR---

You grapple with the muscular soldier, but fail to wrest their longsword!

---
wrest bag merchant
You grapple with the corpulent merchant, wresting their large bag!

Either way, you get crimflagged.

Perhaps an additional 'pry' command for forcibly opening other people's containers.

It would have a delay similar to subdue.

I also support this, I think adding in a no-save wrest that controls whether or not the target retaliates with violence would be good too.
3/21/16 Never Forget

No, but the delay after is prime opportunity for your attempted victim to punch your head or for nearby heroes to attempt to subdue you.

Would this be able to target items in peoples' hands or only items on their belt, in their inventory, in containers they are holding, and in containers they are wearing?

We have the disarm skill for things in people's hands. I think it creeps a bit beyond the scope to implement it for those.

The proper thing to do when someone has wrested from you is to wrest the item right back.

I could see this being a skill for Enforcers.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Now I can app my half giant thief/thug and go around taking things that weren't mine before.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: Dracul on October 28, 2021, 10:51:44 AM
Now I can app my half giant thief/thug and go around taking things that weren't mine before.

Given how hard HGs have been nerfed in other regards recently, the bigguns are free to wrest stuff off me all day. No different than being subdued by an HG and stripped.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: Dar on October 28, 2021, 07:29:04 PM
How were they nerfed?

The focus point change. Feel free to FOIC but it is pretty obvious.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Ahh. No. I understand. It's just such a different sphere then stealing stuff and HGs, I couldn't fathom it.

October 28, 2021, 07:42:14 PM #14 Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:44:47 AM by lairos
Quote from: triste on October 28, 2021, 07:34:47 PM
Quote from: Dar on October 28, 2021, 07:29:04 PM
How were they nerfed?

The focus point change. Feel free to FOIC but it is pretty obvious.

There has not been a hard nerf to HG's. Staff already announced minimums and increasing them for such characters. I've seen at least one post of a player of an HG saying they've had no issues. 

On topic though  - this is a pretty interesting idea and far more "thug like".
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

If the only downside to this is crimcode I could see it being really useful for raider types =]

Quote from: Lotion on October 29, 2021, 01:58:39 AM
If the only downside to this is crimcode I could see it being really useful for raider types =]
You would incur a delay in the same manner as subdue. Your victim could draw weapons and attack, wrest back etc etc. You would need one free hand a la steal. But having a weapon drawn isn't a guarantee from being bashed by Beef McLarge, even if you won the wrest contest.

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 29, 2021, 10:19:57 AM
Quote from: Lotion on October 29, 2021, 01:58:39 AM
You would incur a delay in the same manner as subdue. Your victim could draw weapons and attack, wrest back etc etc. You would need one free hand a la steal. But having a weapon drawn isn't a guarantee from being bashed by Beef McLarge, even if you won the wrest contest.
This reminds me of a famous sun tzu quote: "If you wrest something from a dude who can kick your ass in the wilderness then you should start writing your next character app."