Coming Soon: Focus point pool

Started by Halaster, September 23, 2021, 11:10:25 AM

September 23, 2021, 11:10:25 AM Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:03:44 PM by Halaster
Coming soon:  A new stat point pool called Focus is being introduced that will be the point pool for all psionics for everyone.  It will be primarily influenced by wisdom, so races with low wisdom may have a little bit harder time using the Way.  Stun will remain unchanged otherwise.  We are announcing this before the change so those of you who have customized mud clients can be prepared beforehand.

More info about focus will come as we get closer to releasing it.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

More information on "why", in Brokkr's words:

"Although stun was originally intended for psionics, and allowing the cost of psionics to be in stun rather than hitpoints, over the years stun has been co-opted by other mechanics, notably combat and certain skills such as scan.  In looking at the current situation, it does make sense that these other things that use stun have a point pool they interact with, but the relation between psionics and these activities and the point pool itself could use some work.  In the end, it was cleanest to pull psionics into their own point pool.

What started as a point pool for the psionic potential of the mind to interact with the Way became a general concentration/awareness/mental trauma point pool (stun).  This change essentially creates one pool for normal concentration, awareness and short term mental trauma due to combat reflecting the mundane aspects of mental processing.  Focus, on the other hand, is meant exclusively for the mind's potential to interact with the Way, which is a deeper almost subconscious ability.

Stun, as a derived point pool, was dependent on endurance.  In this, damage to stun can be interpreted as something more physical, than mental.  In addition, there are hidden abilities for all the classes that determine which of several stun regeneration rates apply to the character, which are not necessarily in line with mental abilities but often more physical ones.  In wanting the Way to reflected more as a mental aspect, it made sense to separate it from Stun, rather than redefining Stun as a more mental derived stat, given all the other things that now play into Stun."

Target release is Sunday September 26, 2021 (2 days from this posting).  We're going to be testing it more over the weekend, and if something comes up that needs to delay it a week we will, but this Sunday is the goal.

Will update again soon about the effects of reaching 0 focus.

More information on what happens when you reach 0 focus:

We all know and love the 'feature' of random people passing out in taverns from overuse of the Way.  While specifically being knocked out is a consequence of stun loss, we wanted to have something similar with focus.  As a result of reaching 0 focus you will become effectively dumbstruck.  You will still be awake and able to hear and see the world around you, but your mind will be reeling and scattered so you will be unable to do anything.  It's similar to being paralyzed, and the timeframe is the same as being knocked out from stun loss.  While this is slightly less harsh than knock out, there is currently no known remedy to bring someone out of their stupor early.

Final modifications before going live tomorrow:

- reduced the timer to something random less than 10 minutes
- added the ability to emote while dumbstruck

For real the final modifications before going live tomorrow:

- smelling salts will work to help revive someone who is dumbstruck