Language learning code kinda sucks? (Discussion)

Started by Jihelu, June 15, 2021, 11:59:57 AM

I know starting a topic with 'this sucks' isn't exactly the most peek of civil discussion but it was supposed to be funny I swear.

As it stands the language learning code seems very, VERY, chance based and doesn't mimic what one could consider a realistic language learning system. (Or, if not realistic, at least fun). Perhaps there should be changes to the system?
What sorta changes?
I dunno that's what the thread is for or for staff to jump in and tell me no.

From what I've seen though, even with a teacher and in game years you have a slim chance of actually branching a language. Maybe we should make it so teach has a chance, or can, proc novice in a language skill?
Something that was suggested on Discord was a system that you had a chance to learn a language when taught, and it went up everytime you were taught that language.

Example:
Amos the Dwarf teaches you the basics of Mirrikum, and has a 1% chance of actually teaching you. You wait a week/day for another lesson, and he teaches you again. You now have a 2% chance of learning from his teach command. This continues till a flat amount (5%? 10%?)
Perhaps even such training would help you branch it from hearing it spoken in the real world.
Example 1A: Amos the Dwarf has taught you the basics of Mirrikum so often that he's gotten tired of doing it (It's capped at 10%), but now you have a bonus to learning Mirrikum when you just hear it spoken in the wild (Not sure if it would be by the same percent or what, but assume its a substantial amount). Your teaching has paid off and now you've learned Mirrikum! Amos will be so proud and relieved you'll stop bugging him for more lessons and now will start bugging him with how shit your Mirrikum is!

Honestly it feels like if you had someone create an Age 1 PC with no language skills and just spoke Sirihish around them hoping they'd learn it, like real children, they'd probably have a pretty high chance of just never learning how to speak. Everyone in Arm is actually super lucky to have made it to -insert their starting age- knowing 1, IF NOT MORE, languages with how hard it is to pick more up in game.

It would be really cool if there was some kind of invisible bar that filled up, even if it just took the form of some invisible skill that when it reaches 100 gives you a point in another skill and then when you get the 2nd skill to some amount you pop the language at novice with linguist getting higher base on those skills and wisdom either increasing gains

I think it might be already like this to some degree. I have had PC's pick up novice skill in a language that is spoken a lot near them fairly easily. Especially if their wisdom score is decent. And of course, picking a subclass that 'learns languages easily' certainly helps with that. Does the 'teach' command work on languages? I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Seems like not many people use 'teach' anymore, though. I try to use it any time I take even a few moments to show someone something in an RP way.

I've picked up Elf tongue before Bendune while living in Luir's. Shit is crazy random.

Higher wisdom seems to help, at least anecdotally.
After that it's just a matter of chance and which languages you hear most often.
3/21/16 Never Forget

I've picked up a few on some characters, but it seems to take 5+ days played if I recall of listening to the gibberish.

I have never actively tried to learn via teaching or classes, so maybe that works better?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: ArmaJunkie on June 15, 2021, 07:58:40 PM
I think it might be already like this to some degree. I have had PC's pick up novice skill in a language that is spoken a lot near them fairly easily. Especially if their wisdom score is decent. And of course, picking a subclass that 'learns languages easily' certainly helps with that. Does the 'teach' command work on languages? I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Seems like not many people use 'teach' anymore, though. I try to use it any time I take even a few moments to show someone something in an RP way.

From my understanding

• Teach will only work if you already have the skill. 'Teach Allundean Amos' does nothing if they have 0 Allundean
    There is no increase in learning a language by hearing it over and over, it's a flat chance (Could be wrong).
  • I've got several in game years with high wisdom characters without proccing languages, while having low wisdom and proccing it in an ig month or so. It seems very random.

Quote from: Jihelu on June 15, 2021, 11:48:31 PM
Quote from: ArmaJunkie on June 15, 2021, 07:58:40 PM

From my understanding

• Teach will only work if you already have the skill. 'Teach Allundean Amos' does nothing if they have 0 Allundean
    There is no increase in learning a language by hearing it over and over, it's a flat chance (Could be wrong).
  • I've got several in game years with high wisdom characters without proccing languages, while having low wisdom and proccing it in an ig month or so. It seems very random.

I wonder if maybe the code is antiquated or perhaps not functioning correctly.  Maybe file a request with staff about your observations and see?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"