You're not in contact with anyone

Started by spawnloser, November 09, 2003, 04:20:06 PM

Wait a second...I just typed 'contact amos' and got the message, 'You are now in contact with the UB3R d00d.'  What is this?  Well, I'm sure that most people know what this means...but I don't like this message.  Let me tell you why.  I find it jarring...I think the most RP-kosher way to go about it would be to find a way to have the 'Something is blocking your telepathy' message replace it when the person logs out while you are in contact with them...who's with me?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

You mean you typed 'contact amos' and you contacted someone? That means there is someone about with the name of Amos.

Now if your contacted with them and they log out and you send another psi, well that just is saying you lost contact with them without knowing it. It's pretty clear. It's not really a huge deal knowing when someone logs out. It seems the problem was knowing rather or not they were logged on in the first place with the Way.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"You mean you typed 'contact amos' and you contacted someone? That means there is someone about with the name of Amos.

Now if your contacted with them and they log out and you send another psi, well that just is saying you lost contact with them without knowing it. It's pretty clear. It's not really a huge deal knowing when someone logs out. It seems the problem was knowing rather or not they were logged on in the first place with the Way.

Creeper
What gets me is that you still have to type 'break' because if you don't, when trying to contact someone else, you will get the 'you're dumb because you're still in contact with someone else' message.  You type 'stat' and it says you're not in contact with anyone...but 'contact' doesn't work right.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Not really, because then you might think they're asleep or knocked out and go to their house or whatever looking for them when they could be doing other V-things.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

What do you mean, 'not really.'  I'm relating what the code says...I'm saying that getting the message 'you're not in contact with anyone' instead of 'something blocks youre telepathy' is giving ooc info like the 'you've never heard of that guy' echos on contact that they got rid of.  It let's you know that they person logged out.

QuoteWhat do you mean, 'not really.' I'm relating what the code says...I'm saying that getting the message 'you're not in contact with anyone' instead of 'something blocks youre telepathy' is giving ooc info like the 'you've never heard of that guy' echos on contact that they got rid of. It let's you know that they person logged out.

Not really as in no, it's a stupid idea. Won't 'Something blocks your telepathy' basically give you OOC info as well? You could basically just break and recontact a few times to see if they're logged in or just asleep. Maybe it's me, but I don't see this as doing a damn thing.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

Yeah, but that forces you to do something...and waste your time (and stun) doing so.  The way it stands, you know without having to work for it, that someone has logged out while you were in contact with them.

QuoteThe way it stands, you know without having to work for it, that someone has logged out while you were in contact with them.

OH WHAT A BLEAK AND HORRIBLE WORLD WE LIVE IN!

Seriously, who cares? It's a minor thing that doesn't really effect anything. If you're not grown up enough to ignore it and overlook the OOC info then maybe you shouldn't be looking here.

I can't understand why people crusade for the smallest and stupidest niches in the game when there's more important things to address.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

Dude carnage, all kidding aside... you need to chill a little. This is an open forum, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You have shared many of yours, why can't anyone else. If someone feels the need to discuss the code, golly gee code discussion is the place to do it. So lay back, pull out a bottle, smoke a j or something, (shoot up? i don't know what you kids are in to these days) and just chill the fuck out man. Life is to short to spend it harassing others.
ere it comes..

QuoteDude carnage, all kidding aside... you need to chill a little. This is an open forum, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You have shared many of yours, why can't anyone else.

You're right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I never said they weren't. And yes, the code was discussed. I discussed how I thought the change was fruitless, but it was discussed none the less. Maybe you're seeing some sort of s3kr1t messages I'm not?
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

If there is a bug or a quirk in the contact code, the best place to send such comments is to the MUD account.  That way someone will read it and properly document it.  It might not get fixed right away, because as others have pointed out it is a pretty minor non-life threatening issue, but some imm who is bored might tackle it at some point if it is properly documented somewhere.