Custom Junk Messaging

Started by Twilight, November 07, 2003, 08:45:37 AM

Is it possible to have custom, situation specific junk messaging?  For instance, if I buy a clay cup of coca cola in an inn, would it be possible to have regular junk messaging in every other room, but if junked in the inn, you might get:

A giggling, freckled teenage girl with an apron comes by your table and collects an empty clay cup.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Yeah, that's a really cute idea for a script. You might even get fancy and have the script check to make sure they're junking a drink container. I'll see what we can do.

Since it's Zalanthas, they would probably be surly, rather than giggling.

That is a good idea and it would possibly cut down on some spam since people would feel less inclined to throw up what would be a redundant emote.

How about instead of a script, making the junk command work like a combination of the drop command and an emote.

junk mug sets ~ on a nearby tray.

The mug is junked and the room sees:

the young, small man sets a chipped clay mug on a nearby tray.

I personally like CRW's idea more cause it give the player the option for more RP. Cause what if you dropped your shot-glass and it broke so you hit junk and a giggling girl came to pick it up. Trippy.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

The problem with that. Is it allows people to junk items without anyone knowing the item is junked really.

There well still be an echo, but then the item well just be gone. It'd be confusing, and annoying.

The man tossing the spice tube behind him.

The templar says, "Go get me that spice tube!"

The man says, "What spice tube? It's gone."

Yeah... It wouldn't be a huge problem but would be grandly fucking annoying alot of the time.
21sters Unite!

That's realistic.  Haven't you ever seen The French Connection?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "creeper386"

The templar says, "Go get me that spice tube!"

The man says, "What spice tube? It's gone."

To continue that:

The templar says, "What do you mean gone?"

The man says, "Yeah, the crowd must have trampled it."
or
The man says, "I didn't see where it went."

It's a bad example, but it can be used rather fucked up like.

Someone uses it to make it look like they put it on the table when they had something they shouldn't when someone goes to get a superiour. The person watching doesn't think nothing about it. Then the superiour gets there and said item is nowhere to be found.

Personally I think the junk command shouldn't be used that much except in places like taverns and such where the mugs were going somewhere. And don't like the use of the junk command alot of other places. Opps just broke that arrow, junk. And thats it. It won't add much RP. It'll take away a few lines. Most the time it isn't that big of a deal even in spammy taverns. The main reason the suggestions to remove the junk command completely is it can be abused, I see this way it can be just as abusable, and really isn't going to add anything that isn't already there.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Heh...I've thrown stuff out windows that I couldn't do by the code, but the room desc has the windows existing.  The way I figure it, the bottle would break when it hit the ground, or some poor schmucks head...may as well junk it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "creeper386"It's a bad example, but it can be used rather fucked up like.

Someone uses it to make it look like they put it on the table when they had something they shouldn't when someone goes to get a superiour. The person watching doesn't think nothing about it. Then the superiour gets there and said item is nowhere to be found.

If it's added like sit|stand or the myriad of commands that take emote-modifiers, there's little fear of that.

you do: junk banana throwing it across the room into ~wastebin
room sees: The creeper-man breaks a yellow banana, throwing it across the room into an immense, rectangular wastebin.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Hmmm, I'm not sure, but I think some people took my suggestion the wrong way.

I was not suggesting a script attached to the room, I was suggesting a script attached to the object.  So it would only work in the same inn room that you can buy the object at.  So, I can't figure out how you would do that for a spice pipe, etc.

I did think about custom messaging, but it would be confusing, and it would be open to abuse.  On the other hand, adding a script to 20-30 items would probably take care of 70% of the items that people actually junk.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

You know, emoting can be abused...as witnessed by all of us that have read BaoBob.  (getz the salz)  Modifying how you 'look' at someone can be abused.  Modifying how you sit/stand can be abused.  I don't think we need to worry about abuse unless it's something that takes away from the game by its very nature.  The whole 'ghost' idea as well as other closure ideas?  Those detract from the harsh and sudden end we all fear...allowing someone to junk an item, adding that it was being tossed out a window or handed to a passing big-boobied serving wench?  I don't have a problem with this any more than I have a problem with the emote command.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

spawnloser: You must be a psionicist because you posted exactly what I was thinking.

You're welcome.

While adding this emotive command to junk, the message should also be changed. Something along the lines of the following would be better suited to an all-encompassing junk command.

The funny-looking long-eared man gets rid of <item>, passing it to a waiting barmaid.

The ugly girl gets rid of <item>, crushing it under her heel.

A brief idea to better intergrate the junk command into an emote and make it applicable to virtually any situation. I have often wanted to place an emote on the end of a junk command. In fact, this brings up another idea.

Why couldn't we add an emote command to the kill command as well? In this situation, I could type kill elf charging in with a sneer and one would see the following line on the screen:

Charging in with a sneer, the human bully slashs the tall elf on his neck.

Charging in with a sneer, the human bully's slash is parried by the tall elf.

Charging in with a sneer, the human bully's slash is swiftly dodged by the tall elf.

Charging in with a sneer, the human bully's is deflected by the tall elf's jacket.

I think I covered all of the possible outcomes of a single attack. After that, the battle would continue as it does now.

Truthfully, I would love to see emotive capabilities on every command we have. It would leave much room for even more personalization of characters.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

As far as the junk command somehow being abused, I think Venomz had a nice example of how that could be taken care of by just using 'gets rid of' or something.

I'd also like to say that fear of abuse is not a reason to consider adding to the game.  Maybe the original poster's or my own suggestions aren't good, fine.  But because 'someone might abuse it' isn't a good enough reason to me.  Those people will get found out and taken care of.

I'm starting to develop an inferioty complex, CRW.  You're just skipping over my posts, eh?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Hmm... When an idea doesn't add anything except cut down abit on spam and is abusable as having complete control over the echo thats sent out. Yeah thats a perfect reason to argue against it.

If there was a set thing that you just added to I'd see it working alot better.

The man junks a mug, handing it to a passing waitress.

Considering when junking ANYTHING, ICly it wouldn't just absolutely disapear. It's good to include something so it's obvious it's being junked. As it is more of an OOC command to keep things from getting cluttered.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "Lazloth"I'm starting to develop an inferioty complex, CRW.  You're just skipping over my posts, eh?

Heh, whoops.  I guess my eyes just sorta glaze over or roll back into my head when I come across your posts.  Its like magnets of opposite polarity.  I'm repulsed by you.

Quote from: "CRW"

Heh, whoops.  I guess my eyes just sorta glaze over or roll back into my head when I come across your posts.  Its like magnets of opposite polarity.  I'm repulsed by you.

Or it could be the Rohypnol I just slipped in your cocktail, ..tonight you are mine CRW.
ere it comes..

Oh, just to clarify, I didn't think that there should be no echo except what someone supplies.  I'm with everyone that believes that it should add to something...like, when you move and add the emote modifier, it still says 'blah blah blah, so-and-so walks north.'  I'm fine with the message that there is now...just add the ability to add the emote modifier to it.

> junk bottle tossing it out the window.

...resulting in...

The pierced, rodent-like man breaks the empty bottle of booze, tossing it out the window.

...is completely fine with me.

Quote from: "Faglore"
Quote from: "CRW"Or it could be the Rohypnol I just slipped in your cocktail, ..tonight you are mine CRW.

Next time save your drugs, you had me at 'hello'.

Why not set the barkeepers/servers to accept all those loose mugs/glasses/cups when you "give mug bartender" and write a script for them to junk it!

ie. The bartender tosses a minature barrel into a sink full of dirty minature barrels.

the annoying mug is gone, and the junk command isn't being abused!

questions? comments? complaints? death threats?

From the update:
New script to allow "junk emotes," only applied to limited rooms.
(Xygax)

That was quick! :)