Dear newbies and people just browsing the boards/site,

Started by Miee, November 07, 2003, 12:35:38 AM

Please don't take some of the attitudes taken recently on this board to be that of the playing community in general.  As with all communities, schools of thought/belief, and fandoms, there are bound to be those that have rather extreme, bizarre, or possibly even hostile-seeming points of views.

The hardline grammar folks and those who throw the standard English syntax to the wind do not represent us all.  I've found, in my past year and change of playing that while there are the few nuts here, most of the players tend towards the side of intelligence, rationality, and silly.

Yes, you should read as much as you can on the website before logging in.  You should try to do your best in writing your description and background, and in your emotes.  Some of you won't and some of those probably can't be helped.  

We'd like you to try the MUD.  Unfortunately, the emphasis there is on "try".  You have to put in a certain amount of effort for this, no way around it really.  Fortunately, at least 100+ people are having fun, and that's a rather conservative estimate.  It's worth it.  Trust us.  If you're scared or nervous about the amount of work, that's all right.  I was, and I'd wager a few others were also.

The boards are here to help.  The helpers are here to help, and I've found the Imms to be a busy, yet helpful group of people.

We want you here.  We want you to learn about Zalanthas, and we want you to enjoy yourselves.

Don't mind the scary folks.  They can't bite you through the Internet yet.  (At the APMs is a whole 'nother matter though)

Sincerely,

Miee
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.

Miee, I think your attitude toward other people expressing their opinions is intolerant.  If they don't agree with you, does it stand to reason they must therefore be "extreme", "bizarre", or "scary" "nuts"?  I agree with most of your other points, and in fact I think that the people you're denigrating agree with them as well.  Talking about people behind their backs or in a passive-agressive manner, however, does not make you superior.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

OK, it seems I came off kinda wrong there.

I wasn't aiming at anyone in particular, though I'll admit that some people might have been the catalyst for this.  I was trying to nicely say to the newbs that we're not all going to leap on you if you make a few grammar or spelling mistakes, or if you're ESL but we'll expect you to make an effort.

Sorry if I've um, scared/offended/annoyed anyone.

Knock, come to the IRC channel.  I'll show you aggressive, baby. :D

naaawh. It's not that exciting  :P But if you want too go to it. Go to irc.sorcery.net 9000 and go to #ArmageddonMUD

Well, in the light of morning I come off pretty bitchy if Miee didn't mean to inject the subtext I thought was there.  Sorry, Miee.  :oops:

I guess it goes to show how, in a text medium, you never know when you'll be misinterpreted or misinterpret others.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "crymerci"Well, in the light of morning I come off pretty bitchy if Miee didn't mean to inject the subtext I thought was there.  Sorry, Miee.  :oops:

I guess it goes to show how, in a text medium, you never know when you'll be misinterpreted or misinterpret others.

It was fine after we talked last night... and after I cried myself to sleep... which sucked.

Because I cry gumdrops.  It hurts and I don't like gumdrops.

John, the IRC channel is more interesting at 3PM EST.  That's when we have cookies and juice.

</silly>