Those blasted winds

Started by Anonymous, November 06, 2003, 06:43:43 PM

A fierce hot wind howls out of the south.
A mighty gale scream out of the north.
A fierce wind howls out of the east.

...Anyone else getting tired of this?
My subguild is worthless in these winds, which haven't stopped from what I've noticed in the last at least two RL days.
I know Zalanthas is harsh and all, but this is just plain boring for us outdoorsy/archer types.

The wild isn't harsh enough
The wild's mobs are too harsh
The desert itself should be harsher
The desert is too easy
Winds are making my role boring

Just listing many of the complaints about the outdoors ;)

My pc likes it.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Uh, thanks for the sarcasim there John.
Thanks for not answering the question I asked.  :wink:
Seriously, I log in to PLAY, not sit around and wait for the winds to die down.

Yes, the weather can go through periods where it's almost always storming or windy or just generally pretty shitty out. Unfortunately, this means that if you're trying to do something that requires calm skies, you either need to be patient and wait it out or go travelling in an effort to find a spot where it may be less windy (not saying the odds of this are good, but you never know).
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

Could migrate north...or perhaps shoot animals at 0 cord-lengths away and engage in a great fist/claw-fight after...-or- you could wait till you get into a city and practice shooting moving targets with ease, in the safety of the surrounding buildings.

To tell you the truth, don't know what to tell you other than to find ways IC, ignore it, or get a whiran to aim for you.

QuoteSeriously, I log in to PLAY, not sit around and wait for the winds to die down.

You might try PLAYing something other than the same old thing then, man. PLAY fighting your way through the storm, trying to find your way home, or going to a tavern and having a drink.

The world wasn't like, specifically made for your character's enjoyment, man.
ust takin'er easy fer all'em sinners out there...

In answer to your question, no.
21sters Unite!

If ALL you are doing is practicing archery, then the problem isn't with the winds, it's just that your character is too boring, or you are playing .

From reading your post, I hypothesize that you are something along the lines of either a ranger, or a warrior/archer.  If I am correct (or even if I'm not), then I will tell you that the game has TONS of other things that you can do besides shoot arrows at things.  Sure, go ahead and do that when the weather is nice.  But when it isn't, you should be able to find other things to keep yourself occupied.  And trust me, if you don't then I have an idea you won't be playing Arm for too much longer.  You'll get too bored.  Armageddon has so much more to it than archery practice, for any character.
Back from a long retirement

The only time the weather gets on my nerves is when you are the only PC in Red Storm and you can't leave the gates for more than RL day because you can't see anything.

BUT, the new RPT seems to have affected this problem in a positive way so it doesn't seem that bad.

Too bad they don't sell some sort of sunslits that allow you to at least see the room you are in so, if nothing else, you can try to get out of there.  Some of my PCs get cabin fever easy enough.

Quote from: "Anonymous"Uh, thanks for the sarcasim there John.
oh it was a LOT more sarcastic originally :P I toned it down. But seriously, those are the complaints people regularly have. The point to the post wasn't to be sarcastic, but was to show that NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS not everyone is going to be happy. Get rid of winds people complain, tone down mobs people complain.

QuoteSeriously, I log in to PLAY, not sit around and wait for the winds to die down.
Then play. Your lively hood is becomming impossible cause of the weather. What's the IC thing to do? It's not post on the GDB about the weather.

Yes, I might sound a bit narky. But only because people seem to complain so much about the outdoors. If you ignore my little bit of sarcasm I actually have point. Which is the weather is an IC harshity, not an OOC one. Deal with it ICly

John, did I tell you how much I missed you?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

John's a punk. I still rule. The answer is still no.

And why is it no you ask? Because you just DEAL WITH IT.

Creeper is throwing a wild orgy in celebration of John's return when he's back full time.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "Anonymous"...Anyone else getting tired of this?
Yes.  I am of the opinion that the sandstorms add nothing to the game: mainly, the durations are too bloody long.  This is not a new complaint, Guest;  I'm sure if you do a GDB search for discussions of weather, you will find dozens of threads -- seems to crop up every month or so.

If it were up to me, I'd have the whole system redone.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

For some people they serve a purpose.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Nowhere did I imply that weather does not impact somethings, Barzalene.  I believe that my opinion, that the system at present is poorly implemented at best (from a playability standpoint at the least), was fairly obvious.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Lazloth"
If it were up to me, I'd have the whole system redone.

I am not certain that all of the storms are part of the automated weather system.  I am totally speculating here, I don't have any inside info, but it seems to me that there are some types of people that would like high winds, and some types of people that would be able to influence the weather.  I honestly don't know if any PCs would be able to influence the weather patterns of the known world, (NPCs like Tektolnes probably could) but if a PC was influencing the weather it could explain the frequent sandstorms during peak playing times.

Then again, it could just be that Ginka loves sandstorms.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

It does seem an increase in magicker players creates an increase of people complaining about the sand storms.

Could of course just be a co-incidence. But possibly not ;)