Scrub

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, October 27, 2003, 08:09:55 PM

I've been wondering recently... What exactly are the Scrublands like? I've read the room descriptions there over and over, but I still can't get a feel for just how much greenery there is there...

Is it like a rocky outcrop with some scraggly weeds poking through? It's like a savannah? Is it mostly barren dirt, with some small trees and shrubs that valiantly push on through? Are they like sand dunes, supporting only a few reeds?

Pretty much any comments on Northern wilderness and what it'd be like in RL terms would be greatly appreciated.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I dunno.. I just did a Google image search, and this photo comes pretty close to how I picture some areas of the scrub plains:
http://www.incompetech.com/photos/Full/scrub.jpg

Maybe a little more reddish than yellowish, and with a orange-red sky of course.

Then there's this Terragen I made some months ago. Again, just how I picture it:
http://users.rcn.com/haiwolfe/photos/scrubshelf.jpg

Hmm... Hillier than I would have thought, but it makes sense. Interesting. Thanks.

Anybody else?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I find myself constantly intrigued with different sections of Zalanthas as I throughly read the room descriptions compare them to nearby rooms, etc. So far, I've come to realize that Allanak sits surrounded by a "Saharah" like desert on the north and west sides, with actual large crescent-shaped dunes, the type you picture if I'd say desert.

And the south is actually more like a flat expanse, dotted with rocks and a remarkable amount of rope-fenced farmlands. All of which is only seperated from the large rolling dunes by a rocky-road.

Then the north is similarly baffling. Its a scrub plain, with a dark grey smudge of forest almost always visable on the northern horizon.

The colors similarly confuse me. Its fairly obvious the south is predominantly red, with red sand, large bits of yellow and red sandstone, etc. But the north seems to be red, green, gray, purple, and brown. Making it something hard to picture in my modern mind-set, added with the fact that there is a blood-red moon, a crimson-like sun, and overall red-tinged (instead of blue) sky. Probably adding a reddish glow over almost everything (even people) whenever they are outside.

Kinda like some scenes in the Dune/Children mini-series, which were really neat.

Anyways, I think its best to just go off what you read and make your own picture, as it would be very hard to capture it in an accurate picture.

5DMW - I don't think HaiWolfe's picture should be taken literally in terms of the absolute look of the scrub.  Rather, look at a section of ground.  Most of the scrub, to my recollection, is much less hilly, but the plants and rocky ground are almost spot on examples of what I imagine an Earth equivalent to Scrub plains would look like.

Forgive me if I gave away too much IC info.