Hoods and storms/sun/etc...

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, October 22, 2003, 09:41:31 AM

Yes, yes.  That's the thing.  In Reality, you -should- be able to contact people, with their hoods up.  But Codewise, you can't.  You can't be certain that soandso is truely the person in the hood.

It's one of those, in reality, in the game decisions that you have to make up for yourself.  

Like..having characters sleep when night comes.  You don't have to, but some people do.

It's just a pet peeve of mine, that I can't emote with the 4.figure person in the room.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I contact people with their hoods up all the time.  People with their hoods up contact me all the time.

Unhooded keywords work in emotes even if someone has a hood up.

It does suck about not being about to 4.figure in emotes though.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

We have one group of people talking about not being able to contact hooded, previously unknown to them, folk, because they can't see their sdesc and keywords.

So, when that extremely tall PC trods into the 'Gaj with his dark hood up, you can't really be sure you're asking the right person for spice, with a 'contact hooded'. Furthermore, you won't be able to contact him or her again, because you don't know their keywords.

While it is, as the other group of people say, possible to contact hooded people by name or by a by the cloak hidden keyword, it's completely beside the point and the argument no doubt stems from a misunderstanding between these groups. So we might as well drop that :)

Me, I'm not in the habit of contacting these complete strangers with their hoods up, and figure they'll give me a name or an alias if they want to be reached in the future. Some experimenting with words in their mdesc might also yield a keyword.

I do agree that if you see someone with a hood up and don't know their name it is nigh impossible to 'contact' them.  It sucks.  However, if you know who the person is, you can still contact them like you normally would.  You can still emote at them as you would normally.  Note that one's name is a keyword and you can ALWAYS use that to 'contact TheDude' or 'emote does things to %TheDude rear end that are best left undiscussed.'

For the hooded people that you don't know...trying to contact them and such.  What can we do to solve this?  I have an idea that was spawned from the thread about a possible 'glance' command...which I find ridiculous, as there already is a 'peek' command that does exactly what they want...except that it's a skill and might still get noticed.  Anyway, since 'peek' is a skill that allows someone to 'peek' at someone's stuff...possibly include something like the following:

When succesful:
>peek figure
(TheDude's sdesc) is wearing:
(on head) a small bag
(on legs) a pair of canvas pants

When not:
>peek figure
The figure in a stupid hood is wearing:
(on head) a small bag
(on legs) a pair of canvas pants

What does everyone think of this?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

!?
ust takin'er easy fer all'em sinners out there...

Sure you can contact cloaked figures, but it can take a while.  Contact figure, contact 2.figure, contact 3.figure, and so on.  It is a little clumsy, but it seems adequate since you are trying to telepathically contact someone you have little personal knowledge of.  Of course if they later lower their cloak then "contact figure" won't work.  If you have buisness with someone, have them give you a name, that is the best way to go.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "The Dude"!?
Heheh.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Why are you bitching about having difficulties in contacting shit? Sure figures are hard to contact without a name. Have you also noticed that using keywords to contact people is near impossible? Do you know how many npcs and pcs have the same god damn keyword? Yeah, I think in all of my days of playing I was successful once in contacting someone by keyword.

You need a name, plain and simple. If the other person doesn't give you a name, oh well - you're screwed, too bad, live with it.

Dirr the Communist
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Quote from: "Dirr"...If the other person doesn't give you a name, oh well - you're screwed...
As it should be.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The pinko's absolutely 100% correct. Hear friggin hear.