Expressing gratitude, some general musing

Started by armandhammer, July 07, 2017, 01:40:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I'll say right up front that this isn't going to be the most focused post, so bear with me.

I'm pretty sure I've been playing since I was 12 but I don't know the exact year. That means I've been breathing everything I've got into this game for at least thirteen years. It's amazing to me that many of you are doubly my seniors in experience or age. I've been feeling shy about expressing my gratitude, but there's no better time than the present to thank each and every one of you. That goes for new players, old players, staff and ex-player GDB lurkers alike.

IRL, I live a pretty simple life that may sound familiar to you. I get stuck in dead end jobs, I dropped out of college, I struggle to know what I should be doing with my life and often I feel profoundly lonely. I have a lot of financial problems that prevent me from doing things I'd really like to do. Despite all that, this community has always been here for me, in-game and out-of-game, and I've come to realize that a roleplayer is a very special kind of person. Somehow we really "get" each other. When I'm feeling down, I log in and often have an experience that makes me feel truly validated. I don't know where I'd be without Armageddon.

As far as my play-style goes, I keep it pretty simple. I doubt many of you will recognize me. I doubt that you'll remember many of my (about 100..) PCs. I just wanted to share that, at my level of experience, my true joy comes from facilitating other people's RP experience. As far as I'm concerned, I've seen most things under the sun, meaning I have a certain expectation that I'll be experiencing the same things over and over again. I've come to realize that reliving these tropes is often helping someone else to experience them, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, for the first time. Nothing is wasted; I consider all my hours in-game well spent. There's no one "right way" to play, and no real necessity for anything new or world-changing. These lessons have been going hand-in-hand with my real-life experience.

Thanks for all the fun. Thanks for all the boots. Hopefully we get to do it all again and again.

Big love,

armandhammer

A gratitude post, and not a "leaving" post?

+1
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Thanks, and right back at ya!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Don't Tell on me; I felt a little choked up reading this. Watching you guys from immland we're often remarking on how creative and wonderful the players are.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

I feel the same way.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Right there with you.

I have so much love for all the players that bring this world to life every hour of every day. It's an incredible experience getting to watch your stories intertwine. I love being a part of Armageddon and the group effort of it. A call and response piece. Living art that shifts in real time.

I like everything you're bringing. The beauty and the gore. The love stories and the betrayals. The intrigue and idiocy.

You all astound and delight me.

Quote from: Oryx on July 07, 2017, 04:27:49 PM
Right there with you.

I have so much love for all the players that bring this world to life every hour of every day. It's an incredible experience getting to watch your stories intertwine. I love being a part of Armageddon and the group effort of it. A call and response piece. Living art that shifts in real time.

I like everything you're bringing. The beauty and the gore. The love stories and the betrayals. The intrigue and idiocy.

You all astound and delight me.

+1
Beautiful.

Thanks for starting a truly positive thread, armandhammer!

We have a lot in common, OP. Glad to be here, too.

All that gratitude, plus it has made me a better writer, PLUS I have met my husband and my best friend and a bunch of other cool nerds through this game.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Thanks for sharing. Positivity like this will help heal our community. Every little bit helps.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Quote from: Large Hero on July 09, 2017, 08:49:18 AM
Thanks for sharing. Positivity like this will help heal our community. Every little bit helps.

https://youtu.be/BWf-eARnf6U