Population distribution

Started by crymerci, October 22, 2003, 12:03:05 AM

Well, what with the announcement of an HRPT in the near future, there's a good chance a bunch of folks will be apping new characters soon.  :twisted:

And, in the past few weeks I've heard a lot of talk about how the population is distributed, and what sorts of roles are "worthwhile" and "contribute to the MUD".  

Some say we need more magickers, some say we need less.  Some say we need more Nakkis, some say we need more Tulukis.  Some say to close a Noble House, or open another Noble House, or open/close various iso groups.

So the point of this thread is, what types of roles do you think are lacking in the MUD?  What cities are underpopulated?  Which clans neglected?  What would you like to see more or less of?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I think people should play what they want to play where they feel like playing it. Whatever else we may or may not need, we don't need people filling roles from some misplaced sense of obligation. We need people logging in and having fun.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Well what Barzalane was absolutely true at the same time I like to make a char knowing that I wont be the 32nd whiran in the temple. I'd like to know of any gaps and or inconsistancies that I could help fill.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I agree with you, Barzalene.  Playing a role you're not suited to is the pits.  But if you're not sure what you want to play, happening across some inspiration on the GDB isn't a bad way to decide. :)
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Fair enough.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I think antagonistic roles contribute to the mud, just cos it gives something for other people to do. It would be really cool to have a nemesis ;)

I'm at work, so this will be brief. I think the most important thing anyone can bring to the game, is conflict. Whatever kind of character your make, ask yourself, how can you create conflict with other players. Its people -not- getting along that drives Armageddon, and makes it the amazing roleplaying experience that it is. So kick an elf, hack up a glob on a tavern's floor, sneer at a magicker and insult women for being so damned ugly, skinny, pale, disgusting freaks. It'll be a hoot.

I'd like to bring up the fact that contrary to what seems to be popular opinion, conflict does not equate to someone hating someone else or being an asshole for the sake of stirring up roleplay.

There are several forms of conflict:

Man vs. Man: This is pretty common and what most people think of. These are the insults against a magicker, spitting on an elf, whatever. Psychotics are the most extreme version of this.

Man vs. God: Within which we can really say is Man vs. whatever spirituality he believes in, be it the almighty sid or an elemental. It is how a person deals with and reacts to that which is of most importance to him on a metaphysical level, be it a deity, or his own need for security/wealth. Paranoids could be said to fit in here, since they are fighting what they believe is 'fate' or the fate that they perceive others trying to lead them to. This leads us to:

Man vs. Himself: We've all been pulled two ways about things before. This is a good avenue to explore, from the spice addict rinther being forced to do more and more dangerous and depraved things for his next hit, to the noble making a faux pas and beating himself up to see if anyone noticed. Neurotic and obssessive/compulsive behavior fits in here.

Man vs. Nature: Your ranger, possibly your warrior, any hunter and anyone who scavenges in the wilderness. This is you against the elements and beasts and provides excellent opportunities for roleplay.

Now I'm certain there are a few more, but there are plenty of oppurtunities for conflict.
aikun: I have scratched the 1 off of my d20. I CANNOT FAIL!

Quote from: "Kankman"So kick an elf, hack up a glob on a tavern's floor, sneer at a magicker and insult women for being so damned ugly, skinny, pale, disgusting freaks. It'll be a hoot.

OMG that was brilliant, think of all the slander, discrimination against other. WoW now thats some shit
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

I say we need skilled crafters... I never seem to find one... can't pick locks without em :(
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I agree i think with sacac, we need more merchantile and ecomony types. Too many mercs, bandits, guards and such.
oh I'm on fire.

Quote from: "Sandlord"I agree i think with sacac, we need more merchantile and ecomony types. Too many mercs, bandits, guards and such.

Bah, you just say that because merchants are easy pickings for all your mercs and bandits.  :twisted:

I don't think I've played a merchant (at least not in the south) since the took out they ability to craft arrowheads.  :sigh:
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I say there needs to be a city of enemies that threaten all the other cultures like a city of giths or something.

And by the way can you ever play a gith?, I think that would be neat :D

You used to be able to play a Gith, along with Mantis, and even Halflings.

However, those clans were closed down, because of the population of the mud was too widespread.  Other ISO (Isolated) clans were shut down too.

The immortals wanted to collect all the people together, to make more the conflict and interaction within the cities, and not necessarily just out in the wastes, where people will just 'kill' you.

Many people miss the culture of the Mantis, and of the Gith, and of the Halflings, but I think they enjoy the game more, when they can go to a tavern and have their own personal enemy sitting at the other end of the bar, instead of the other end of the world.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Telling people where there are holes already happens - Staff announcements.  But don't expect to ever hear "Oash doesn't have any PCs in Nak, and needs several leadership roles filled", because it shares way too much IC information OOC.  The best source we have is the Staff forum, you find out what you can do there.  And in a big way, too.

As for staff trying to consolidate - crap, it's working.  I've seen a lot more interaction with groups previously unseen, and I like it.

Also, you have to bear in mind VNPCs.  VNPCs are funny things - almost dynamic.  If there are 32 Whiran PCs in the Nakki temple, all that means is that there are a large number of stories being written/told of Nakki whirans.  Let's say 2 players specifically make Whirans, because they don't want to make 2 Tuluki performers - that means there are fewer stories being told in the Tuluki bard's circle, and more in the Whiran temple.

There is no way anyone should ever be able to find out they will be making another PC in an already large PC population - that's not a fun way to find out.  And perhaps the Staff already take steps to balance PC populations in certain guilds/classes by increasing the number of special apps refused.  You won't get 32 Whirans when every single one of them has the karma for it, some will be special apps, the staff can simply decide to refuse any new special apps, make Whiran life harder, and probably a bunch of other techniques.  That's sheer speculation, mind you.

Given some thought, and based on what we know, chances are most people with a good idea of the game will always be able to figure out an area without much participation, make a PC, and fill a role.  Shoot, the role may be totally unique, it may not exist at all, and it is new to the Staff, but somebody can think of them.

More merchants and aides.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "crymerci"Well, what with the announcement of an HRPT in the near future, there's a good chance a bunch of folks will be apping new characters soon.  :twisted:
I've already written up my new char. All I need to do is send it in :P