Question on sneaking.

Started by Forest Junkie, October 21, 2003, 04:16:03 PM

Need some advice on the subject of sneaking.

Situation: I am sneaking with my weapons out in the alleyways of the Red Sun Commons trailing a mark. I am wearing an irrig lantern on my back.

NOW, when I enter a square my mark is in, will it echo my pc filling the area with a light? It sounds like a screwy situation to me, because a) I am trying to sneak BUt b) I have a light out that would most likely alert anyone to my presence. Any thoughts?

Also, same with hiding. If I hide in a square with a light out, will I still be visible to people?

I don't know what it is coded... But I'd say it should echo the area filling with light, as well as maybe even announce your presence fairly well.

And hiding with a light? Even more ridiculous. Your trying to be sneaky, quiet, unseen. You don't want to announce your presence to everyone with eyeballs.

The dark is your friend, put the lantern away.
21sters Unite!

Even if it doesn't announce your presence or that the room is filled with light, I don't think its realistic roleplay.

If it is a dark and spooky night, the last thing you want is to be holding a blazing light source.  Yes, holding a lantern when it is pitch black out is a dead give away that someone is there.

Thanks...

Has anyone come across this problem? I suppose it is not feasible to sneak at night then, unless you are shadowing someone?

If it's night, and you character's situation requires stealth, then it is entirely feasible to sneak at night.  However, to sneak around effectively, you'll have to wait for the right circumstances and use other light sources.  I suppose it would be fine to have your character sneaking around with his own light source...it would just give away his or her position.  If there was a way to tweak the code so that a special light source could somehow be dimmed or focused so that nobody would see the room filling with light echo, then it would be a lot better.  

Sadly, most humanoids on Zalanthas don't have infravision, and to move around in complete darkness would probably be considered unwise anyways.  You could trip, fall, and break your neck on something, or attract just as much attention stumbling over piles of rubble and other garbage as you would walking around with a torch.  

So if it's pitch black outside, and your character needs to move quietly over a distance, then perhaps waiting until natural circumstances improve would be the best choice they could make.  However, the character could be irrational anyways or under time constraints, and risk hurting himself in the dark or being revealed by his light source than wait any longer to move on.

just don't do that in the 'rinth... They'll see you think you have a chance of having money and BOOM.... there on you like white on rice...
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Use moon light to sneak at night.  Find some magiks to see with in darkness. 8)