Derail about why PK is bad

Started by Jingo, March 29, 2017, 01:09:18 AM

Quote from: Jingo on April 03, 2017, 03:20:22 PM
Be real. It never goes any other way. All problems in this game are solved with a hammer. The ones that try to moderate their approach just get killed. Except in the off time staff step in and shake a finger at you.

Not at all true.  Never and All.  Just not so.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on April 03, 2017, 05:39:12 PM
Be real. It never goes any other way. All problems in this game are solved with a hammer. The ones that try to moderate their approach just get killed. Except in the off time staff step in and shake a finger at you.

If I believed you, I'd probably play again.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

You're still welcome to join my cuddle puddle, Jingo. The invitation stands.

Dear OP, step one to doing your Crackmageddon... don't read this thead :)
Step two, just play. I find that I play a lot of duds for every pc I play that clicks. I can come up with perfectly good concepts, play in perfectly good clans/locations and just feel bleh. And then you step into another pc and hit the perfect storm and everything is awesome.
The most important thing to remember is to play through the early days. New PCs suck. Once you buy them clothes, they have no where they need to be and no one to be there with. It's a slog at first.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: whitt on April 03, 2017, 05:39:12 PM

Semantics don't win an argument on the internet.

I recently had a PC die due to events that surely could have been played out more. Teased out. Bribes were offered, apologies made and all that, but in the end a player decided that it would make sense for their character to have mine dead as a show of force, than the alternative. It sucks, from a playability perspective, but we've all created and maintained this world where killing your enemy is the most reasonable course of action.

And therein lies the problem Jingo seems to face. We're playing a game, a shared narrative, in a permadeath universe where showing mercy is showing weakness. I can't count the amount of times a Leadership PC has told my underlings that its better to just kill someone in your way, so they don't cause problems later. And in the context of the world, that's ENTIRELY SUITABLE, so complaints against it are wailing at a wall.

But I feel for Jingo. As I get older, I want to participate in a story, in the social aspect as it were. Which isn't easy to do when the "easiest" way to achieve your goal is to simply eliminate enemies. Someone shit shoveling and costing you coin? Kill them. Someone else offering pretty stones to merchants? Kill them when they won't sell to you for cheaper. Someone pays off a group of raiders, similar to how you would the Guild, so they leave you and yours alone? Kill them for collaboration. Its all Zalanthas, man.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on April 04, 2017, 10:03:41 AM

And in the context of the world, that's ENTIRELY SUITABLE, so complaints against it are wailing at a wall.

Well. It's suitable for the gonzo clown-show logic that crops up in armageddon. Realistically someone with a reputation for sloppily orchestrated murder isn't going to get by. But this the is same game in which a two word description is enough to accurately identify someone for life and all conspiracies are unravel-able because The Way allows for virtually un-encryptable secret communication.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on April 05, 2017, 08:40:07 AM
Well. It's suitable for the gonzo clown-show logic that crops up in armageddon. Realistically someone with a reputation for sloppily orchestrated murder isn't going to get by.

You need to get out more.

Visit Papua New Guinea some time.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on April 05, 2017, 02:59:20 PM
Quote from: Jingo on April 05, 2017, 08:40:07 AM
Well. It's suitable for the gonzo clown-show logic that crops up in armageddon. Realistically someone with a reputation for sloppily orchestrated murder isn't going to get by.

You need to get out more.

Visit Papua New Guinea some time.

Well that's a real good point you got there Tisiphone.

I should have thought of Papua New Guinea before I pointed out how fucking ridiculous player politics are in armageddon. If only I had realized our little text based game was simulating the political, social, economic environment of a modern failed state. But I should have known better, they love fucking murderers there. All tremble in their presence and present their boots in meager hopes they might live but alas they only get backroom killed anyways.

HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO THOUGHTLESS I SHOULD HAVE JUST TOLD MYSELF "GO TO PAPUA NEW GUINEA JINGO, ALL WILL BE MADE CLEAR."

It actually reminds me of that time a templar killed me because they read my background. I was playing a 2 day sorcerer special app that wanted to take things slow. She didn't cast any magick, she didn't even think about magick. But that didn't stop our heroic Lirathan! She came out of her hidey hole just to invite me in for a meeting and kill me.

Boy-oh-boy was a I mad. But I shouldn't have been. She wasn't the self-absorbed, pathetic griefer I thought she was. No!  Because Papua New Guinea!

dam fam
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I think it's silly and a bit rude that almost nothing posted in this thread even pretends to address the op's concerns. This is however a topic covered in many other threads. Are we just going to drag our agendas into any topic now?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on April 05, 2017, 04:10:57 PM
I think it's silly and a bit rude that almost nothing posted in this thread even pretends to address the op's concerns. This is however a topic covered in many other threads. Are we just going to drag our agendas into any topic now?

Probably. Though the OP was trying to find a reason or push that would get them in the mood to come back and play. The "downer" posts are coming from 1d3 people at any given time, and when they voice their concerns in any thread they're in, "Check out Papua New Guinea" is the NICEST form of "You're playing wrong" you can find.

There are no new topics on General Discussion anymore. Discussion is either stamped out, or non-existent. If the same 1d3 people keep posting, and its the only activity in the board? Of course its going to get dragged out. Its like Arm, on the boards. There's nothing happening, no RP going on except in back rooms (Discord back-channels), and when something does happen, everyone clamors into it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Me, after reading what the thread turned into.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

With great hesitation, I split the massive derail from the original thread and made a new one. I don't personally feel that an essentially non-existent problem is worth discussing yet again and I'm sure there are many other issues with people's roleplay of late besides the mystical random killing that the thread derailer/new thread OP consistently complains about whenever the opportunity arises.

Jingo, you're welcome to come up with a thread title for your new thread and ask for it to be changed.

My apologies.  I read through threads and sometimes respond to posts I see without regard for whether it's contributing to derail or not.  Mostly, I didn't want people to feel boxed into an idea of them 'doing it wrong', is all.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on April 05, 2017, 06:14:12 PM
My apologies.  I read through threads and sometimes respond to posts I see without regard for whether it's contributing to derail or not.  Mostly, I didn't want people to feel boxed into an idea of them 'doing it wrong', is all.

I do this too. I could not look at a post about how playing flawed characters gets you killed and not respond to it.  :-[

Quote from: Nergal on April 05, 2017, 06:05:15 PM
With great hesitation, I split the massive derail from the original thread and made a new one. I don't personally feel that an essentially non-existent problem is worth discussing yet again and I'm sure there are many other issues with people's roleplay of late besides the mystical random killing that the thread derailer/new thread OP consistently complains about whenever the opportunity arises.

Jingo, you're welcome to come up with a thread title for your new thread and ask for it to be changed.

How does "Nergal's Passive Aggressive Thread Split" sound?

Or figure out any other way you want to mis-characterize what I've been saying.

Surely it's been a year since the Great Rat Race Rat Fuck and all the characters directly involved are stored or dead (several of them hilariously so)?