Tissue regeneration vs catching your breath

Started by Flaming Ocotillo, October 20, 2003, 01:39:26 AM

Would being able to regenerate stamina points while standing be a realistic addition to the code?

Yes.
46 (82.1%)
No.
10 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: October 27, 2003, 12:39:26 AM

Armageddon MUD allows you to regenerate your hit points while you stand in one place and avoid combat. You can also recover stun points when you stand in one place, and can also recover those stun points even in combat.

Does anyone else, besides myself, feel that regenerating stamina points while standing up isn't such a crazy idea? How many times have you walked from one point to another, stopped at your destination to talk and RP with other PCs, and after your twenty minute role-play session of catching your breath, chatting to your friends, and then saying goodbye to them, you need to sit yourself down and take a "true" rest to catch the breath you've already caught ten minutes ago (almost an hour in game)?

I'm of the opinion that if hit points can regenerate while you stand, stamina point regeneration shouldn't be impossible. The average Diku MUD has movement points that regenerate while standing, and the concept doesn't seem unrealistic.

Agreed.  After being ambushed by a tarantula and running back to the gates I meet my friend on the street.  After a brief conversation, am I supposed to RP that I'm still wheezing and puffing, yet my wounds have closed?

After a five kilometer run, what's the best thing for you?  Walking it off.

I agree.  I'd put some limitations on it though, because standing isn't as restful as sitting or sleeping (I think this would also affect riding since you are coded as "standing" while riding, and riding isn't completely passive either, so that is another factor to consider).  You should regenerate more slowly, maybe 1/2 or 1/4 of your sitting regen rate.  And only regen to 70%, or even 50%, of your total stamina.  If you stand around for an hour talking you won't be completely exhausted and wheezing anymore, but likely your feet are still sore and you are still a little tired and discheveled.

If the staff decide not to change the code, there is a back-up stratagy for dealing with the situation.  When you are near exhaustion maybe you can't hold a coherent conversation, you are too busy gulping air to talk.  It is perfectly reasonable in this situation to -not- stand and talk for an hour.  So you don't want to drag everyone to a tavern for a short chat, what stops you from sitting on a virtual rock, ledge or bench?  Nothing, you just have to think to do it.  Even a noble or Templar will be hard pressed to get offended if you are gasping for breath and colapse to the ground.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

My suggested coded scenario would be that stamina behaves a lot like hit points do. When your stamina is lowered past a certain percentage of your maximum, you need to sit, rest, or sleep to restore it. It works like hit points in the sense that you can't just regenerate points when the lack of points is severe enough to constitute an active effort for catching your breath.

I'm just worried about people resting while hiding.  I think that would unbalance things, no matter how realistic it might be to regen stamina while crouched behind a rock.  Even if the stamina gain while hiding was capped and/or at a slower pace.

I see regaining stamina while hiding as I would see a movie star(good or bad guy) ducking into a doorway on the street to catch his breath before peeking his head out, firing off a shot and continuing on his way. I think it would be realistic, even if you only gain a few points.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I completely agree with everything said on this post so far.
Yeah in hiding situations it would change them a bit, but I'm for the added realism of being able to regain some stamina while standing even if it isn't much.

Quote from: "Flaming Ocotillo"My suggested coded scenario would be that stamina behaves a lot like hit points do. When your stamina is lowered past a certain percentage of your maximum, you need to sit, rest, or sleep to restore it. It works like hit points in the sense that you can't just regenerate points when the lack of points is severe enough to constitute an active effort for catching your breath.

This is how I would see it exactly.  So for those people who are always losing those same 5-10 movement points for whatever reason, they can regen back to full.  Someone who takes a short walk might be able to "catch their breath" standing, and someone who just ran their ass off for a number of leagues would actually need to sit and rest, if not outright sleep.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I personally think if you can recover hit points standing, you should be able to recover stamina, but I see this leading into not being able to recover HP if your standing, which would suck in most non-lethal combat situations.

I'd say if you are below like... 50% of your stamina you would have to rest... 75% you'd have to sit, and anything above that you could recover standing. As that probably would allow for some running on decent ground and not have to lounge around panting like a dog. Although I still think you should be able to sneak/hide fairly well, instead of it taking massive stamina and not being able to recover that stamina.
21sters Unite!

Personally I think the current situation should be reversed.  Regen stamina while standing but not HP.

For playability I'm sure a lot of you would like to continue having HP regen while standing though.
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

I wish the animals would just fall over dead in a sandstorm also, but that and $1.25 will get you a cold coke from the vending machine. 8)

Something to keep in mind is that once you start "resting" from physical exertion, your muscles start to lock up. Standing, especially after a lot of movement on foot, is the best way to get your wind back. If you sit down, you aren't going to move very fast or with any ease once you stand again. So really, you gain no stamina by sitting down on a rock. I don't know how this would fit into the current discussion, but when I hear "standing isn't as restful as sitting or sleeping", I remember that in most situations this would be applied to in arm, standing would be -more- restful, to a point.
Dig?

Granted I don't think that the current settings are realistic, but while I vote to allow the regen I have no problem with the way things are and wouldn't mind them staying the same.  Sitting is a coded thing.  If you want to regen stamina while staiding type 'sit' then change your ldesc to 'is standing here doing such and such'.  Emote leaning against this or that, or even catching your breath while standing.

Problem solved, eh?

Personally I liked Angela Christine's the best I think she was on to something there
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.