How To Do My Crackmageddon

Started by BrokenRomance, March 05, 2017, 05:28:56 AM

Hello. I am honestly not sure if this is the right subboard for this or not. It's been awhile since I was here very seriously, and even longer since I played the game actively.

See, the thing is, I want back in. But I just can't find that rhythm I had going, that note that had my RP flowing.

For a bit, I thought it was there in a specific clan, but I realised that wasn't really it. And the whole solo ranger thing I talk about enjoying to RP is fun sure, but it isn't calling me like I want it to.

So, I'm looking for suggestions about what I might should try.

I've played characters from all over, mostly the same two races, and honestly when I read the docs and stuff, the things I feel I would have liked just aren't there any more. Tuluk and the Tan Muark chief among them. I like stuff like that as a player, strong artistic cultures.

Surely there has to be some idea I just haven't had that someone else could suggest that is similar in tone and all that might help me do my Crackmageddon with joy again?
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

March 05, 2017, 07:03:52 AM #1 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:08:52 AM by azuriolinist
I totally get this. I've experienced difficulty getting back into the game, with some characters of mine. Sometimes that interest I had just melts away.

If you're after something with a strong cultural background, why not try apping for one of the currently open tribes? You may or may not take a fancy to the elven culture as well, wherein they treat theft as if it were the greatest sort of art there could ever be (at least, that was what I got out of the analogy used in this helpfile). Their strong tribal mindset and complete trust in fellow tribal members are other cultural inclinations of theirs that might be fun roleplaying.

Edit: because wording.

The performance art culture of Tuluk

Playing a Fale musician/bard/whatsit, or a Kuraci Host(ess)/Entertainer

The flirting, dancing, surprisingly vicious but colorful culture of the Tan Muark

Playing an Arabet (commonly joked about some years ago as 'gypsy lite'), or someone with the nomad origin.

Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

March 05, 2017, 11:00:42 AM #3 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:02:28 AM by Akaramu
Nathvaan just implemented this brand spanking new illustration skill which lets your character be an actual illustrator / painter. Why not try it out?  :)

For me, the best rp always happens around people I 'click' with, so I'd also recommend trying a family concept with a strong artistic background. Families are fun and can help get you hooked during those early days when your character is still new to the world.

Coded tribes are cool but you never know if you'll have other tribesmates to play with during your times. If you make a family, you can recruit players with similar playtimes.

Make a challenging PC.  That's what got me back into it

The trick is to find something that is hard, but not codedly frustrating.  Try a really, really dangerous concept, and only play semi-carefully.  Keep shit *on the edge*.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on March 05, 2017, 02:43:58 PM
Make a challenging PC.  That's what got me back into it

The trick is to find something that is hard, but not codedly frustrating.  Try a really, really dangerous concept, and only play semi-carefully.  Keep shit *on the edge*.

I love that idea. I'm going to save it up for the future.

When I do have a PC I like to play, I find it helps immensely to have people around me I like playing with. Whether its in a clan, or people at the Gaj, or what have you. Exploration means nothing without people to explore with. Close calls with death mean nothing if you just slept it off in a cave when nobody was watching.Unfortunately, like DnD, its almost impossible to get a "decent" adventuring party together. Both from the grind of skills, and the "I don't want to lose my character on a foolish trip across the desert" mentality.

If you're looking to get "back into it", test the waters. Find out if people you like playing around, are available. Run a test PC, as some obsidian miner who spends their nights cracking skulls for extra coin. Find out who the law is when you play, who the hunters are. If you PLAN a character to be fun, it almost never lives up to it.

My more memorable characters have been "I'm going to make a character who wants to be a Tuluk-version of a WWE Wrestler" or "I want to own a piece of land" or some high and lofty goal that OOCly I KNOW I will never accomplish, but ICly its a constant focus. Pick something you know you can't do, and let it subtly drive you. Like, for example, someone who likes being social and making instruments but someday wants to own their own music shop. Is it probable? Not really. But is it fun to play it out? I thought so!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on March 27, 2017, 03:33:09 PM
When I do have a PC I like to play, I find it helps immensely to have people around me I like playing with.

THIS! I came back and... dropped into a place, with people, who are some of the awesomest I ever played with. My current PC is probably on par with my mindbender, who used to me my most favorite character ever. It's one of those things you can't plan. They happen or they don't, which makes them all the more magickal.

It's pretty sad how much derailing happened in this thread, which I've now moved to its own thread. Next time a thread gets derailed that badly I'm going to ban everyone who makes an off-topic post after the first warning.

Focus on the OP of this thread if you would like to reply.

Quote from: BrokenRomance on March 05, 2017, 05:28:56 AM
Hello. I am honestly not sure if this is the right subboard for this or not. It's been awhile since I was here very seriously, and even longer since I played the game actively.

See, the thing is, I want back in. But I just can't find that rhythm I had going, that note that had my RP flowing.

For a bit, I thought it was there in a specific clan, but I realised that wasn't really it. And the whole solo ranger thing I talk about enjoying to RP is fun sure, but it isn't calling me like I want it to.

So, I'm looking for suggestions about what I might should try.

I've played characters from all over, mostly the same two races, and honestly when I read the docs and stuff, the things I feel I would have liked just aren't there any more. Tuluk and the Tan Muark chief among them. I like stuff like that as a player, strong artistic cultures.

Surely there has to be some idea I just haven't had that someone else could suggest that is similar in tone and all that might help me do my Crackmageddon with joy again?

You've not not played long enough. Don't play until something pops in to your head that you immediately want to play. Something that makes you excited. Trying to force yourself to engage stands a very good chance of just burning yourself out quicker.

Quote from: Nergal on April 05, 2017, 06:06:35 PM
It's pretty sad how much derailing happened in this thread, which I've now moved to its own thread. Next time a thread gets derailed that badly I'm going to ban everyone who makes an off-topic post after the first warning.

Focus on the OP of this thread if you would like to reply.

Whatever happens, happens.

It was previously mentioned, but I would like to second making your own. It may take more effort, but writing up your own Tribe/Family with traits that you enjoy could be right up your alley. Instead of joining in with what is already there try to create something new. I am sure there are many people who, like you, really enjoyed the artistic qualities and flavor of Tuluk and/or the Tan Muark, who would join in on this with you. With the new additions like drawing that were already mentioned something new you have created could draw you in. Would you thrive inside of a single city/outpost? All over the known?
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

May 04, 2017, 07:41:29 AM #13 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:11:01 PM by Chettaman
It's all about who you play with.
While I love intense solo roleplay that unwravels the secrets of the world...
I love sitting in a tavern full of funny people doing hilarious things way more.

While I love training day-in and day-out with my byn-buds...
I love roleplaying an ordinary day of washing clothes or doing something completely ordinary (with those byn-buds)

Anything with like-minded people. I learned to adapt my character's personalities... to entertain my own interests. I could be a dwarf that believes in hate and rage are the key to his strength and thinks of nothing but these things to survive... but he'll somehow find a friend that accepts him for these same obviously negative qualities. ... or maybe they keep him around for some other usefulness. At any rate, my character would never stop being who he was. He would always believe that hate made him powerful and sooner or later decide to betray that person. ... probably later, though. Because myself as a player enjoys other players. ... but they would definitely be attacked.

You just have to learn your play style and go with it. Don't go against your soul, dood.

I even made my solo rangers hang out in places people were bound to come over to see what was going on just to take them on some sort of adventure or be taken on one. I can roleplay alone, but I just don't enjoy it as much as showing off. That's my playstyle. The show off. Don't be afraid to try everything.

everyone's saying tribal. Good idea. You have an excuse to craft, fight, travel and talk to anyone you want to!
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

"The show off" might apply to me too, and I'm okay with that.  Nice post!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

The Byn is always fun. I don't have much interest in combat though, and can't be available for something as long as a contract, so I've never made it to trooper. But its great for me because its active at any time of the day. I've had people to spar with at four in the morning. It might be a little tricky to find a sarge at two in the morning but I've managed it before, unlike with other employers.

The beauty of being a healthy human is that you can blatantly move from job to job for most jobs and people will just assume you're "looking for your niche." I remember one guy spent two RL weeks in the Byn, then Kadius, then Kurac, and then I think he became lightly wanted and got into the Arm to save his skin.

Maybe try a House you haven't done before, or (like me) a role you enjoy that you haven't done in a long time. The magic will come at some point.

There are a couple of areas in the southlands that are new you can go explore and die in, but I don't know the details.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I haven't read this thread in awhile, but I'm so thankful for all the input. I'm actually currently trying out BadSkeelz suggestion because that's how I usually do things anyway.

Just waiting for that idea that slaps me in the face and tells me to get my ass on the ball.

All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.