What do Stormers think of nobles?

Started by Cind, January 31, 2017, 05:02:18 AM

Seriously.

What does Luirspeople and Stormers and tribals think of nobles?

Do they think nobles are innately superior? Among those who know there's such a thing as nobles. Escaped slaves and their friends, for example.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I don't really expect more than 5% of you to play someone that ignorant, but what use is it to know about nobles most of the time?
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Luirs:

Nobles are like the merchants that own this place, only ten times richer with more power. (though the richer part might be a stretch IDK money is hard)
Since they work with or atleast see trade from both Tuluki's and Nakki's they probably don't view either side of nobility with any preferred eye, though seeing as Tuluk is in the middle of offing them selves they're only really social with Nakki nobility and the like I imagine, so the people there might see Allanak and the noble families as people to try and trade with, if not just the bazaar.

Tribals:

These people get respect from even the scary Templar's that run the city, I should probably be nice to them.
Maybe they don't know anything about them and their interactions have all been in the bazaar, meaning they might just see nobles as really rich city goers and just have a basic idea on what Templars are.
Maybe they bow to everyone in silk they see.
Maybe they don't know anything about nothing because their tribe avoided the city, seeing it as a place where the cursed, gemmed, and the highlords evil servants, templars, rule with an iron fist.

Stormers:

Probably something not nice. Seeing as most are escaped slaves and muls are accepted, they wouldn't really like those who breed and use their people/friends/neighbors as unpaid labor.
Then again they could see them as people to work for because RedStorm is rather poor and nobles have lots of money

As for thinking they are superior.
I'd say Stormers don't think nobility are superior them in the 'bred better' way but definitely the financial way.
Almost same with Luir's. You're a bunch of traders with your own town, something very hard to do, and though things are tough you managed to do it. Though those from Luir's can be from either cities so your views on nobility can be very broad.
Tribals probably have no real concept of 'superior humans' unless their tribe had something like that, maybe a chief and what not, or the tribal has been around the city enough to atleast get by.

What do Stormers think of nobles?

They don't.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Red Storm and Luirs are not seclusionist states. Both are open to trade to most people, including nobles' Aides, hunters, Bynners who contract with the nobility. Luir's in particular is Kurac-owned, and Kurac does business with both city-states, has holdings in each. Red Storm in particular is in close proximity to Allanak and has holdings of all three GMHs in it.

This means that people from Allanak are in and out of both Luir's and Red Storm on a regular basis. It means people native to these outposts come in contact with people who deal with nobility in one way or another on a regular basis. It also means that there are many people native to these outposts, who travel to Allanak at least semi-regularly, if not regularly.

It means they would know, at the very least, what a noble is, and how Allanak treats its nobility, in a general vague sense. "Nakkis think these silk-wearers are superior to them, they call them "highblood," and bow to them. These silk-wearers wander around with personal guards, and people generally try not to piss them off."

They might know more than that. They might know about specific nobles, such as in Luir's which hosts some of them at parties and festivals. But I'd say they know that, at the very least.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I imagine they have about the same opinion of Allanaki Nobility as 'you' the reader about Vladimir Putin.

All the rest of it I'm not going to guess at. But most people, I think, would know nobles have power and you should "respect" them to avoid death or at least avoid being hassled. Though a noble rolling in Red Storm I think must be pretty ballsy.

It's the biggest hive of scum and villainy in the known.  (I always thought at least)
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I try to steer towards ignorance.  Not only does it allow some RP opportunity for discovery, but it also makes the world (which can seem codedly quite small) bigger.

That said:
Quote from: Cind on January 31, 2017, 05:02:18 AM
Seriously.

What does Luirspeople and Stormers and tribals think of nobles?

Do they think nobles are innately superior? Among those who know there's such a thing as nobles. Escaped slaves and their friends, for example.

I'm not sure about Luirsians or Stormers -- I suppose it depends on how far back your family goes to either Tuluki or Allanaki descendents or tribal descendents.

Tribals I would think would in general view nobles as not innately superior, and probably find it amusing and/or disgusting that people bow to them.  I've had my elves/tribals treat nobles as 'chiefs', but particularly wimpy chiefs.

I'm curious (although moot now) what a Tuluki noble would think of an Allanaki noble (and vice versa)?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

It's not just dependent upon Luir's or Red Storm origin, but the individual character's backstory.

I used to think of them as Montagues and Capulets all, between the cities.

Nobles in either city experience the splendor of being considered 'better'. Most, not all, understand that the other cities' nobles experience a similar life to theirs, if a bit backwards. 'Nakkis think Tulukis are just a bunch of tribal idiots, and their nobles are just the tribals with power. Tulukis think 'Nakkis are a bunch of bloodthirsty morons who also tend to enjoy their coin and wine.

Would a Tuluki willingly talk or send messages to a Southern noble? Maybe. But they probably REALLY want something from them, knowing they're risking public social backlash. Same for the other side, and 'sharing' cousins/sons/etc doesn't seem too far out of the norm. Dasari sending a young Family herbologist in return for a Borsail crew of slaves, etc etc.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Considering that Red Storm is run by the Sand Lord I'd say it depends. How do Tulukis feel about Allanaki nobles?

The Sand Lord is definitely an awesome dude who is much better than me.

Escaped slaves may not like the nobility that kept them but might keep the cultural view that the nobility are natural superiors and generally assholes.

Mostly though, aside from the raiders and the PCs, most Red Storm people keep to themselves and the village so probably not much.

I like Miradus' answer best!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on January 31, 2017, 10:23:07 AM

You, sir, have been awarded 3 Miradus Points (MP). Save them up for fabulous prizes.

I almost feel like questions such as these get spawned when someone didn't bow, or refused to bow, to a noble who was out of their place of power and the p_noble gets OOC upset about it.

There's people IN ALLANAK who wouldn't bow to an Allanak noble. Find out IC (Ha!). The only thing that gets them to bow is the threat of being ripped to pieces by half giants or dry-humped by a braxat in the arena. If you go to Red Storm and strut your stuff, do you think the Red Stormers care? Some might, if their backstory has them wanting to get back into the good graces of Allanak. Some might, if they want the sid they think you'll spread around. Some might just want to take you to their apartment for some sex and murder (in their own order of preference).

If I'm in Luir's with a northern character and a southern noble is strutting their stuff and demands something of me, then it depends on whether I ever intend to return to the south and how much I think Kurac will let me get away with. With a northern lowlife? In general, I'm far nicer to a halfbreed dun-cloak newbie who has the power to throw me in jail or murder me with a snap of his fingers than I would be to a southern noble who is so far out of their place of power. It absolutely all depends on the character I'm playing at the time and what has happened thus far and what I hope to happen in the future.

There is no canned response which you can paint over the entire playerbase for every situation. That's what makes the game !FUN!.

Quote from: Miradus on January 31, 2017, 11:42:12 AM
Quote from: Bushranger on January 31, 2017, 10:23:07 AM

You, sir, have been awarded 3 Miradus Points (MP). Save them up for fabulous prizes.

I almost feel like questions such as these get spawned when someone didn't bow, or refused to bow, to a noble who was out of their place of power and the p_noble gets OOC upset about it.

There's people IN ALLANAK who wouldn't bow to an Allanak noble. Find out IC (Ha!). The only thing that gets them to bow is the threat of being ripped to pieces by half giants or dry-humped by a braxat in the arena. If you go to Red Storm and strut your stuff, do you think the Red Stormers care? Some might, if their backstory has them wanting to get back into the good graces of Allanak. Some might, if they want the sid they think you'll spread around. Some might just want to take you to their apartment for some sex and murder (in their own order of preference).

If I'm in Luir's with a northern character and a southern noble is strutting their stuff and demands something of me, then it depends on whether I ever intend to return to the south and how much I think Kurac will let me get away with. With a northern lowlife? In general, I'm far nicer to a halfbreed dun-cloak newbie who has the power to throw me in jail or murder me with a snap of his fingers than I would be to a southern noble who is so far out of their place of power. It absolutely all depends on the character I'm playing at the time and what has happened thus far and what I hope to happen in the future.

There is no canned response which you can paint over the entire playerbase for every situation. That's what makes the game !FUN!.

So, I agree that we can play exceptions and also that the clarion call of 'every Zalanthan for themselves' is a legitimate position -- but!

I think it's also useful to know what the average X would be or do. 

1. I find a lot of fun in the tension between documentation (what the average whatever would do) and survival of my character -- it allows for depth of psychology and a lot of fun to be had in exploring and roleplaying a person with beliefs and habits and customs quite foreign to our own.

2. I also think that some of the beliefs that average people have (say, a Soh's fear of witches) is not drive by a kind of rational calculation or a mere custom that can be tossed aside, but it is a deeply entrenched psychological trait.  Sure, you can still toss it aside, but that would be an interesting struggle to play out, and again, it is fun to get into a headspace that is not your own.

So, on nobles in Allanak, for instance, the average Allanaki human citizen would believe -deeply- that this person just is better than they are, not merely because they are more powerful, or could lock them up, but because this is just how the world is.  Sure you'd have exceptions -- breeds, elves, and dwarves, for instance, and maybe rinther humans, for sure, and maybe now and then a human who bucks the trend -- but it's helpful to see the rule in order to be the exception to the rule.

All that to say, totally agree, but I also think these sorts of threads are helpful in bringing us together in understanding how the world is.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Right.  It's important to know whether your character's backstory is exceptional or standout, or average run-of-the-mill.

I've never seen this topic before.  Props to you.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess that there's a complete lack of REVERENCE for allanaki nobility, but not outright disrespect; Red Storm, while rough and gritty and separated, is close enough to Allanak in both trade and proximity that there are relations.  They don't have to be too close.  But they are aware of nobility, and are given respect as 'top dogs' of the pecking order, but not venerated.

Templars, on the other hand, are still just scary.  I'd imagine there'd be private conversations talking shit on either position without fear or hesitation, but not with strangers; that kind of gossip can still get you targeted regardless of where you are, and that's where the respect for top of the pecking order comes in.

That's kinda how I see it off the top of my head.  I could be wrong, and would be interested to see more opinions on it.  But that would make sense to me.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Red Storm is interesting, because it's pretty unclear who are the beneficiaries of the Sand Lord's rule there.  There does not seem to be any 'elite' within Red Storm, and the only people of privilege there are the soldiers that protect the place.  There are businesses there, but I've never once seen these business people get any preferential treatment besides the ability to utilize real estate their for their operations. 

From that perspective, I would think a native born Red Stormer would have a very skewed perspective of what a person of privilege is beyond those who are wealthier than them and able to afford more spice/food/clothes/whores, etc.  They would probably find their way of life to be rather perverse, and have difficulty understanding the concept of a social pecking order. 

Those nobles have fountains of water that aren't used to water crops?  What idiots.  They have slaves?  That's fucked up.  No muls are free?  But the muls are the strongest of our protectors, that's wrong.

That guy is above me because he came out of some rich girl's womb?  I don't believe that.  But at the same time, rich people have shit I want, so I better not let on that I don't believe that. 

The one area I could see Red Stormers understanding is the undeniable power of Allanak and Tektolnes.  The nearby city is many times larger than their little village, filled with thousands and thousands of soldiers.  And they have a terrible, invincible sorcerer-king living in that big tower.  These rich nobles are perceived by many to be the defacto rulers of Allanak, so pissing them off too much is probably not a great idea.