Reactions to the Witch Subguilds

Started by Cind, December 27, 2016, 12:44:14 AM

I had my whiran almost fully branched before I realized I didn't need components to practice those spells.

Still glad I went with using components and doing the spells for real.

+2

Didn't even know you didn't need them. Its been so long since I fiddled with magick.

You absolutely should need comps, and non-nil. How you gonna know how to throw a fireball if you've never handled a real one?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 11, 2017, 03:44:17 PM
How you gonna know how to throw a fireball if you've never handled a real one?

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

January 11, 2017, 03:52:15 PM #253 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:31:55 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

The components piece is an afterthought today because of 'nil'.  Take 'nil' out of the picture and it would be an important hurdle for becoming a strong mage. 

Quote from: Riev on January 11, 2017, 03:44:17 PM
How you gonna know how to throw a fireball if you've never handled a real one?

QuoteLooking like he hasn't spent a day of his life outdoors, the sallow, pudgy youth holds his hands cupped at his waist and exlaims, in whiny-sirihish,
  "I KNOW MAGICK KOMBAT!"

I would totally kudos anyone with the stones to acknowledge the absurdity of their character right before they incinerate me with a full-strength fireball.

Being able to incinerate a man at all is absurd. Fucking awesome though so:
+1

I like the no nil reach and 'components for skill increases' suggestions.

I would laugh at a "Krathi War Mage" that has literally never been outside the walls or hit another person with a fireball.

Even moreso, if it was just a mundane who said absolute fucking gibberish and used sleight of hand to strike flint off tinder.

Components for all spells, even if easily acquired.

I don't need nil to enjoy full mages, and hardly used it on the one sub-mage I played. Also I don't want full mages because they're more powerful, I want them because I find them more enjoyable. I have never killed someone on a full mage, hell I can probably count all the NPCs I've killed on full mage guilds on both hands (those poor skeet). I just liked being able to magic up some food, run around without a mount, and hide in holes when I'm tired.

That is impossible now as far as I can tell.
3/21/16 Never Forget

I too would like to be able to satisfy all of my desires without any actual risk.

Quote from: lostinspace on January 11, 2017, 04:23:04 PM
I just liked being able to magic up some food, run around without a mount, and hide in holes when I'm tired.

That is impossible now as far as I can tell.

Play a d-elf ranger, yo!

Quote from: Riev on January 11, 2017, 04:21:52 PM
I would laugh at a "Krathi War Mage" that has literally never been outside the walls or hit another person with a fireball.

I was thinking of a "Krathi War Mage" with a flaming sword and a bunch of lamp oil stashed away within reach. XD

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 11, 2017, 04:24:54 PM
I too would like to be able to satisfy all of my desires without any actual risk.

Play an assassin.

January 11, 2017, 04:28:04 PM #265 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:29:50 PM by Akaramu

You think my AoD corporal was involved in any risk to skill up? The only 2 or so times she ever left the city SHE LET A RECRUIT LEAD because she (like her player) had zero direction sense.  :P

Seriously, skilling up melee combat without risk is absolutely possible and easy to do. Join the Byn and avoid the RPTs. The end.

Quote from: Riev on January 11, 2017, 04:27:17 PM

Play an assassin.

Truth.

January 11, 2017, 04:30:30 PM #266 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:33:16 PM by Malken
I'm mostly happy that now you don't just get to dump wisdom as your first stat and end up with 95% of the magickers with extremely good+ wisdom.

(I'm preemptively calling a no "my favorite 'giker had poor wisdom" sap story)

Anyway, you giker lovers lost fair and square and us mundane bros won - no salty tears - we're now going to have tremendous mundane plots, the best plots you've ever seen. It's going to be great. I have a great Staff team backing up my pro-mundane plots, the best Staff.

Quote from: Malken on January 11, 2017, 04:30:30 PM
I'm mostly happy that now you don't just get to dump wisdom as your first stat and end up with 95% of the magickers with extremely good+ wisdom.

Yeah. Combat requiring like 75% of the stats, while magick only really relying on one is kinda janky.

I had a warrior with Poor Wisdom once. AND he branched a weapon skill. WITH ANOTHER PC AND NOT ON AN ANIMAL.

... Boy was that twinky.

Quote from: Riev on January 11, 2017, 04:33:25 PM
Quote from: Malken on January 11, 2017, 04:30:30 PM

Yeah. Combat requiring like 75% of the stats, while magick only really relying on one is kinda janky.

I had a warrior with Poor Wisdom once. AND he branched a weapon skill. WITH ANOTHER PC AND NOT ON AN ANIMAL.

... Boy was that twinky.

I did too but I mostly spent most of my teenage years slaying those gortoks at the span. Ain't nobody got time to dedicate their lives to Armageddon.

As opposed to most of my 'gikers with whom I had most of their spells within two months without ever leaving their temples of doom and/or a Storm apartment.

Quote from: Malken on January 11, 2017, 04:38:27 PM
As opposed to most of my 'gikers with whom I had most of their spells within two months without ever leaving their temples of doom and/or a Storm apartment.

Another reason for apartments with windows!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Akaramu on January 11, 2017, 04:28:04 PM

You think my AoD corporal was involved in any risk to skill up? The only 2 or so times she ever left the city SHE LET A RECRUIT LEAD because she (like her player) had zero direction sense.  :P

Seriously, skilling up melee combat without risk is absolutely possible and easy to do. Join the Byn and avoid the RPTs. The end.

Sparring accidents happen. Angry clan leaders happen. Someone backstabbing you when you step outside of your secure compound happens. Magickers can avoid a lot of this thanks to nil.

Quote from: Riev on January 11, 2017, 04:27:17 PM
Play an assassin.

Truth.

I wasn't aware you could type >backstab with no target in order to get to master.

This thread just prompted Staff to fuck me over.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on January 11, 2017, 04:51:55 PM

No more nil backstab for you!
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

January 11, 2017, 04:54:33 PM #273 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:56:08 PM by Akaramu
Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 11, 2017, 04:49:37 PM
Sparring accidents happen. Angry clan leaders happen. Someone backstabbing you when you step outside of your secure compound happens. Magickers can avoid a lot of this thanks to nil.

Unless you count Torgun as an angry clan leader, none of this ever happened to my clanned melee types.  ;D

My assassin trained backstab up pretty high by hunting animals with her clan. Wasn't particularly risky or hard to do.

That's the HUGE advantage mundanes have over mages: clans.

Quote from: Patuk on January 11, 2017, 04:53:22 PM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on January 11, 2017, 04:51:55 PM

No more nil backstab for you!

No more ONLY USEFUL ABILITY your class possesses, more like.