ooc scheduler

Started by nauta, December 17, 2016, 10:59:42 AM

December 17, 2016, 10:59:42 AM Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:29:58 AM by nauta
I know this has come up a few times, but here's an idea and an RFC (request for comments) on it.

Motivation.  You have scheduled a meeting with someone outside your clan for Friday at 9pm.  But then something comes up and you have to cancel.  Or you are trying to schedule a meeting with someone you keep missing and want to meet them on Friday at 9pm, but you can't find their minds. 

Implementation.  A new addition to the Request Tool which would work sort of like kudos -- call it OOC SCHEDULER.  You'd submit the name or sdesc, staff would redact and forward it on.  You'd be limited exclusively to scheduling/cancelling meeting times: no places,  no messages like: hey, I'm still alive!  or hey, can you log in RIGHT NOW, there's a mul here.  Perhaps it could even have limited options, such as:

1) Must cancel scheduled meeting on [date pulldown].  Sorry.
2) Would like to schedule meeting on [date pulldown].  Will this work for you?

Perhaps you could be limited to 3 per month or something, to avoid people over-using it and turning Armageddon into a job.

Cons. 

o Staff would have some extra work (unless its automated with limited options).
o Overuse of this would start making Arm feel like a job (probably?)

Pros.  More subjective here, but I think a lot more action could take place and a lot fewer plots could get lost in the missed connection void if we had the ability to do some scheduling -- bear in mind this affects those of us that don't play in the 'big clans' more than, say, someone in the Byn (they already have this ability).

ETA: As with anything like this, there probably are unintended consequences, but another motivation: I, at least, prefer to play anonymous OOCly, and this would allow me to avoid giving out a handle to schedule things as sometimes happens, e.g., you are off with a group of indies somewhere far away and have to log out suddenly, but want to schedule the return trip.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

December 17, 2016, 02:14:40 PM #1 Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:18:39 PM by Reiloth
For completely OOC scheduling, i'd rather use something like Doodle:

http://doodle.com/

Invite everyone that you want to come to the party/RPT/whatever. Figure out the time that way.

I really don't want to make more paper-work/pedantic crap for Staff to have to sift through. The less bureaucracy we create the better -- I'd rather they focus on like, making the game great, animations, writing plots, enacting plots, not filing TPS reports.

Took me about a minute to make this: you don't need to get people's emails or anything, the link can be the 'invite' to the event.

http://doodle.com/poll/7ffak4qhcfa4kvmr

So you can just create the event, OOC: heres the link for scheduling a return trip, let me know the best times.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~