Suggestion for Tuluk

Started by CindyLou, October 17, 2003, 10:27:09 AM

I know a lot of people comment about the sheer size of Tuluk, and how frustrating it can be to need to get from one end to the other in a hurry, and end up taking most of the game-day to do it.

I don't really find this to be -that- much of a problem, but then, I don't have a life, so maybe that explains it <grin>

But I had an idea which might help somewhat:

There are currently two public stables in the city: one near the west gate and one in the market. Real-time-wise, they're not all that far from each other. Maybe 2 minutes tops, assuming you pause long enough to look at a mutant and snicker on the way.

How about if Tuluk adds two more public stables? One in the south end of the city, near the southern gate, and one in the east end, somewhere near the Poet's Circle or the Elven Market?

We don't have a metro running through town like in the real world. but there's no reason why someone with a mount can't use their mount to get from point A to point B without constantly having to worry about it getting stolen.

I thought about this because I was thinking of doing something...and then realized how ridiculously easy it would be for the mount to get stolen while I did it..in a town where soldiers are all over creation.

So for instance...let's say I live in an apartment near the Noble's quarter along that endless road. I need to buy a big heavy dresser from the marketplace. I have a friend to help, but that sucker weighs a ton. What would be the obvious thing to do? Answer: go to the market, buy my dresser, bring it to the stables, get my kank, RIDE it down to the stables in the south..then lug the dresser from the stables to my apartment, thus reducing the rest time by major proportions.

Or maybe I'm going to bring a stone delivery to the slaves in the ruins.  Ain't no way am I gonna just ditch my kank on the side of the road for any Tom Dick and Harry to grab while I'm hauling a few bags of cut stone in there. But I'd definitely want to stable the mount somewhere nearby - within a game-hour's walk.

Could be that I'm a desert elf who's bringing in hides to sell in the tribal market. Granted I don't ride if I'm an elf, but I might have a nice mount I'm using as a pack-horse. Being an elf, I know that leaving a kank out in the middle of the market while I walk from tent to tent is STUPID...so I'll want to tuck it somewhere safe - but close enough that I don't run out of steam halfway down the road. A stable in the general vicinity would encourage me to go to the Tribal market to sell my bags o-stuff, which makes more ic sense than selling it to those silly roundears in the market closer to the west gate.

So that's my idea, and my reasons behind it. Just a couple more stables, so people can use the city as its description implies that it's meant to be used. It seems as though people -should- be using mounts to get from one place to the other within the city, and not only for going outside to hunt. A couple of extra stables in the farthest reaches of the city would support that.

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

Two things... sounds great!  and sounds expencive.  I would think for people to really want to use something like this, there would have to be a way for people to spend less money on storage.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Well think of it this way:

It costs 20 sids to stable a kank, as far as I know. Desert elves who use mounts as pack-beasts (since they don't ride) very rarely spend coin in Tuluk, but they take plenty of it by selling off what they bring in from their hunts. So having a mount at one end of the city, and another at the other end, wouldn't kill them as far as expenditure goes, and would be a huge convenience to them, which makes it money well spent. The quicker they can get in and out of that stinkin round-ear city the better, right?

Most people who ride kanks, are able to hunt, or forage, or do other things that require the use of kanks. Otherwise they wouldn't bother owning one, no? Either rich nobles or house aides who get plenty of sids, or traders merchants hunters who don't need to rely on a house to pay them a salary.

In any of these cases, they're paying for the convenience of not having to walk from end to end, which can be a full game-day's walk. 20 sids every few RL days, for someone who already has proven they can afford a kank - since they own one - isn't going to put them in the poorhouse. And yes, I'm taking thieves into consideration here too. If they are clever enough to be able to walk off with someone's kank, then they're clever enough to figure out how to pay for its upkeep.

There are actually three stables in Tuluk that I'm aware of, unless one has been removed since I last checked.

I would almost like this idea, if it didn't use kanks.  You know how big kanks are? It's not hard to imagine kanks passing each other in the road here and there, but roadways completely crammed with kanks is a ridiculous thought.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "crymerci"I would almost like this idea, if it didn't use kanks.  You know how big kanks are? It's not hard to imagine kanks passing each other in the road here and there, but roadways completely crammed with kanks is a ridiculous thought.

I actually always envisioned seeing a kank on the road as nothing out of the ordinary.  I always have this mental image of the old bendune trader coming in from the desert walking along side his kank loaded down with things to sell in the market.  Granted, I doubt they would be running down back allyways, but I think the sight of a few kanks on the road would be nothing unusual, especially between markets.

Quote from: "crymerci"I would almost like this idea, if it didn't use kanks.  You know how big kanks are? It's not hard to imagine kanks passing each other in the road here and there, but roadways completely crammed with kanks is a ridiculous thought.

I've always envisioned the main roads in the game as being huge.  Just look at Caravan Way in Allanak.  Wagons, kanks, hundreds of people.

I know kanks are big suckers, but I think of Caravan way as being bigger than a 2 lane road.

If you read my post I never said I don't envision kanks on the road...I just can't picture a gridlock of kanks in rush-hour traffic.  If a large percentage of prosperous people followed this practice (VNPC population, not PC) it would get crowded real fast.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I can see what you're saying crymerci. But the room descriptions already say that mounts and wagons are riding around..so adding some "real" mounts and wagons just means less "virtual" ones that you're looking at.  This is just replacing a few of one with a few of the other. Virtually, they already are around. But I've never seen an NPC riding on the road or walking their kank to market.

In the overall scheme of things, nothing will change. The only difference is that instead of pretending that you're stepping back to the side of the road while a virtual rider on a sunback is coming through, is that now you might actually need to step back as a PC rider on a sunback rides through.