Zalanthan Time Converter

Started by azuriolinist, December 05, 2016, 12:05:29 AM

I was fiddling around with this for a bit (a horrendous while, because my math needed refreshing). Thought I'd put it up, for scheduling purposes and what not. It provides a means for converting Zalanthan time to RL time and vice versa. It should be accurate, but let me know if something seems off. I didn't test the Zalanthan to RL time conversion much, so that in particular may or may not be wonky.

http://armtimeconverter.neocities.org/

It uses moment.js for formatting the times and dealing with timezones and bootstrap-datetimepicker for the time picker.

I based some of the formulas off of Marauder Moe's spreadsheet, which is awesome, by the way.

HA! I did one of those a few years ago (dunno if it's hosted or anything). Good job! It's never seemed to catch on ICly though.

Ah, thank you!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: John on December 05, 2016, 12:45:14 AM
HA! I did one of those a few years ago (dunno if it's hosted or anything). Good job! It's never seemed to catch on ICly though.

I saw mention of your script somewhere, actually! I tried looking for it for... er, research purposes, but no dice. And thank you!

Yeah, going "about 2 weeks from now" or something like that IG is way more convenient than pulling out a calculator and trying to narrow down what that might be in Zalanthan time.

Quote from: Gaare on December 05, 2016, 12:54:02 AM
Ah, thank you!

Not a problem! (oh how I lie to myself)

So cool.

Unless I did it wrong, Maliflax's question from your app yields: Jan 8, 1855.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Heh.

That's if the changes staff put years back (?), which basically locked the way IG time translates into our time, is not accounted for.

December 13, 2016, 08:33:04 PM #6 Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:40:10 PM by Esadal
Seems to be working well from what I've done with my (minor) fiddling!  You even added compensation for Daylight Saving's!  It even converts properly years into the past, it looks like.

Random Sidenote - According to the thing, the world began in 1811, which I think is really cool.

If you put a negative number into the Age, you get fun results.
How about a scavenger hunt?

Just modified this a bit so that when a time is set, the URL hash is updated to refer to that selected time, in server time.

You can then use the link to refer to event times and such. Like, say, the beginning of (recorded?) time in Zalanthas.

Bump.

This is a helpful site and it took me over an hour to find this thread. So bump :)

Thank you very much for making this useful tool.  I've utilized it several times, and am now stickying this thread so people can keep it in mind when they're writing bios.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill