City elves

Started by drunkendwarf, October 16, 2003, 07:02:06 PM

Does anyone else think city elves get...well...kind of hosed?
I mean...you're not allowed to ride a kank without disgracing yourself...and you get no bonus at all to running, like d-elves do. You're a -fantastic- target to raiders...I know from personal experience. :}
Given all these things, I'm boggled as to why someone would actually pick a city elf for a character they plan on leaving the gates a lot with. Does anyone else agree with this?

Only real solution I've come up with:
Give city elves the same bonus d-elves have, but only when it comes to WALKING, not running. In my opinion, it makes sense for them to at least be able to WALK a long distance, since damn near all of them have never ridden a kank in their life...and those that have don't deserve to call themselves a longneck.

It is an odd problem, especially when you look at an organization like the Byn.  If you don't have the elven running ability you are in a lot of trouble.  You can't ride to keep up and you are worthless on missions because you simply can't beat a kank.  I imagine a lot of elves skip out on joining the Byn simply because OOCly, they are not going to be able to do anything.  There are the rare few contracts inside the city, but other then that you are in a world of shit.

The solution is just to create a desert elf if you think you are going to be the type to leave the city.  However, I recall in one of the old ask the staff posts on the topic that you need to pick one or the other, either a city elf that lives in the city or a desert elf that lives in the desert.

I am not sure what the solution is.  I think there should be a middle ground.  I think that you should be able to play an elf that leaves the city the same way city dwelling humans leave without being a desert elf.  If I make a human in Allanak I can still jump on a kank and decide I want to live in the desert.  A city elf does not have that option.

QuoteThe solution is just to create a desert elf if you think you are going to be the type to leave the city.

You CAN'T create a d-elf in one of the city-states..it's just not an option. Nor does it really make much sense for a d-elf to be joining the Byn, etc. But I agree, city elves are viewed much as a pain in the ass by the other races when it comes to leaving to the gates to do anything, and I've heard often times they are left behind to sit on their thumbs in the city, for that very reason. Is it meant to be this way? If you make a city elf are you really not supposed to be leaving the gates frequently? I agree there should be some middle ground if you want to play a city-based elf who goes out on hunts, raiding, etc....and now, there really is nothing. As it is now, I'd never consider another city elf unless I know my character won't ever be leaving the gates.

Any other thoughts how this can be achieved aside from my above suggestion? Or is this what the staff is shooting for in the first place? Just doesn't seem fair to me....I think we'd start seeing a few more PC city elves if they didn't get so screwed....and Zalanthas could always use more people to spit at. >:)

I doubt that the staff is attempting to maroon city-elves in the city, because there are a goodly number of elven NPCs in the Byn itself. Perhaps when the new code for the killing of elven MP went in, the city elf was simply not fully considered. I do know that a city elf can function in the desert, at least pre-new-MP. I had a city-elf once, and he could go from Luirs to Tuluk or to Allanak without resting, as long as he went straight. On top of this, his endurance was nothing to brag about, and topped out at only 220 even with sandcloth.

So yes, city elves cannot run around like kanks, but they can go where they need to go, and any Byn or other group which treats them like waste-material is losing something on their trips.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Keep in mind, a d-elf does no better then a c-elf when walking, so, even if you did make a d-elf that joined the byn, walking along with your group would be no different then a c-elf walking along.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteI imagine a lot of elves skip out on joining the Byn simply because OOCly, they are not going to be able to do anything. There are the rare few contracts inside the city, but other then that you are in a world of shit.

I can think of at least four PC elves that were a very important part of that organization. Why? Because they could hold their own and then some during combat. If they were nasty enough with their spears/scimitars/shrukens of kung-fu style l33tness, then Sarge would let the skinnies tail after the kanks. Whats a few rest stops when you can bring along a couple of extra sword arms? Experienced and agile ones at that? I mean, that's what tents are for, eh?

Anywho, with that said, I sorta see your point. I know players that live with it, but that doesn't mean you have to, right?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

QuoteKeep in mind, a d-elf does no better then a c-elf when walking, so, even if you did make a d-elf that joined the byn, walking along with your group would be no different then a c-elf walking along.

And in those cases with a d-elf, I never do a hard-code 'follow'...I rp out running along behind them, or in front...pausing to check the road, scrubs, etc. while waiting for the slow-asses to catch up.

Crap, forgot to log in..above post was me.

Quote from: "drunkendwarf"
QuoteThe solution is just to create a desert elf if you think you are going to be the type to leave the city.

You CAN'T create a d-elf in one of the city-states..it's just not an option. Nor does it really make much sense for a d-elf to be joining the Byn, etc.

Actually I once had a d-elf join the Byn.  Circumstances and my character warranted it.. and I suppose I'd played it out well enough that it was accepted by the imms because I'd made Trooper and still had no word from above on the matter.  It was a lot of fun actually, playing out that character in that situation.

Mind you, I followed when outside, so like someone already pointed out I was just as 'screwed' as a city-elf would be, though I understand elven stamina has been reduced all around.  We got on even without a tent.. but like someone said, that's what they're for - think of HG's, they're in the same spot.
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

If I am correct...

You didn't have the tent because I stole the tent. Hehehe. Fun times.

But yeah, c-elf or d-elf can function fine in the Byn and whatever other organizations that hire them.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

... you get no bonus at all to running, like d-elves do.

The last time I played a city elf, which admittedly was back when Tuluk defeated its oppressors, a city elf could run in the city with little to no (I remember no) movement cost.

Specifically, I played a rinth elf who was able to run constantly in the 'rinth, with no loss of movement at all. I believe there may have been places in the city that cost 1 movement to run through. I can't attest to any bonuses they may or may not have in the desert.

This may have been changed - someone more recent should probably confirm whether it's still true.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

To all my knowledge, city-elves get the bonus to running in the city and desert elves get the bonus to running in the desert.

And yes, city elves tend to get the short end of the stick, but at least in the Byn I've seen them succeed and be some of the strongest people in the group even when dog tired. Certainly only get left behind if they are going to be a bother for other people to protect and the group has to stop and wait for them to rest, although maybe they were desert elves but most the elves I've seen tend to make it way better then half-giants, and over all alot better then a runner who lost his mount.

And personally, I'm thinking of trying a city elf in a position where he'll be leaving the city more then once in his life... Hopefully it'll be more then once.
21sters Unite!