Color change discussion thread.

Started by Nathvaan, November 25, 2016, 06:18:52 AM

After 15 years of playing in black and white I find Arm in color disconcerting in ways I can't really put to words...
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Yeah I feel you. But I am quite liking the combat applications of it mostly.

I am surprised no one has let their inner child out and gone:
AHHHHH MY EYES WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY EYES!!!

Quote from: WarriorPoet on November 26, 2016, 06:35:38 PM
After 15 years of playing in black and white I find Arm in color disconcerting in ways I can't really put to words...

This is exactly why I designed the system to be completely optional.  If anyone doesn't want to take advantage of the feature can disable it via turning off VT100/ANSI at the main menu or typing 'change color none' to disable all colors.

I'm still sort of hoping that this means one day being able to use color patterns as part of mastercrafts or otherwise seeing color used in interesting ways in the world that don't really reflect the things it looks like the system currently does. How so?

Example:

It doesn't seem likely by any means that it will work that way at some point, but I think the place where 256 color over ansi really shines, is in its ability to apture subtle nuances of color. And given the many places you see greenish purple things, and stuff like cylini and pymlithe wood, or silt, or dun colored cloaks, etc etc etc, the ability to definitively see what thee palettes are that capture the world in this way... well, it's something I can't help but dream of. I know I feel like my color triggers couldn't compare to the ability to see the colors of say, filanya blossoms, in detail:

fwiw, color is optional in the other mud sampled as well. I just love the subtlety and nuance of it there. :D
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Some people like that stuff... to me it looks like someone puked up skittles. :-[

Quote from: Delirium on November 26, 2016, 09:43:45 PM
Some people like that stuff... to me it looks like someone puked up skittles. :-[

Quote from: bardlyone on November 26, 2016, 09:30:34 PM
fwiw, color is optional in the other mud sampled as well.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Wow. Uhm, well, that's pretty badass. Good work, man.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If we were given full color color control over objects and more MC per whatever. I would definately roll up a merchant. But see I dont because I find stock crafting boring I can write new things and describe stuff like no tomorrow, but only if I think of it first rather than  get given an example.

Better late than never. Good work staff.

Quote from: Delirium on November 26, 2016, 09:43:45 PM

100% agreed. Also for me, the whole point of text, is to let my mind come up with the visuals based on what I'm reading. I don't need the ansi characters to dictate to me which exact shade of purple the wisteria petal happens to be. The paragraph does a good enough job of it, and my mind does the rest. That's WHY I prefer text to graphics. Turning the letter "t" into a graphic depiction of an exact shade of purple totally harshes my mellow and grievously wounds my immersion place.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Very quick suggestion: Can you add 'see also change color' in 'help color'?

My first instinct was to do 'help color' when I sat down to fiddle with the color settings.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Took out the old "color" helpfile and made "help color" automatically point to "help change color". Thanks!

The old system used to do something like this:

A ring-tailed jozhal claws at you, but you dodge out of the way.

You land a solid slash to a ring-tailed jozhal's wrist.

(Where the bit in bold was highlighted as a bright white leaving the rest the same.)

Is this possible on the new system?  I'm thinking the answer is 'no', since when I do change color export I only see fg_combat_charhit/miss/victhit/victmiss which do the whole line.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Also, what is fb_combat_room?

Just a guess but it's probably if there's combat going on and you're not taking part in it.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

It's stuff like 'reels from your blow' and 'crumples to the ground'.

Quote from: nauta on November 27, 2016, 03:25:12 PM

(Where the bit in bold was highlighted as a bright white leaving the rest the same.)

Is this possible on the new system?  I'm thinking the answer is 'no', since when I do change color export I only see fg_combat_charhit/miss/victhit/victmiss which do the whole line.

I miss this as well. I'll probably use triggers to figure out a way to bold parts of the line.

Quote from: Delirium on November 27, 2016, 03:37:00 PM

I miss this as well. I'll probably use triggers to figure out a way to bold parts of the line.

I will take a look to see how difficult it would be to make sure that displays.  It wasn't my intention to remove that but it seems that it has due to the conflicting ANSI escape codes.

Well the colors themself can be different to perform that same function, eg when I hit I have it set to be a bright red color. But when I miss it has a bright yellow.
But they hit its a dark red and miss its dark yellow. And all background fighting is the same dark yellow as opponent misses.

Quote from: Nathvaan on November 27, 2016, 03:42:56 PM
Quote from: Delirium on November 27, 2016, 03:37:00 PM

I will take a look to see how difficult it would be to make sure that displays.  It wasn't my intention to remove that but it seems that it has due to the conflicting ANSI escape codes.

After looking I remembered why it isn't set to work that way currently. The new methods that give colored text to the players is not compatible, as is, with the old method.  It will take a pretty significant refactor to get that kind of thing working.

It's not something I am opposed to but I think it would work better in a future release with similar features.  So in short, not going to get this put in anytime soon but I'll see about it in the future.

I want to thank Nathvaan for working on this. I greatly appreciate the effort gone into it. My clients are having issues with consistency (Mushclient and a mobile one) so I've turned it off for now and will make do with no color on the mobile client (and keep the client side coloring for Mushclient).

Quote from: John on November 27, 2016, 08:25:02 PM
I want to thank Nathvaan for working on this. I greatly appreciate the effort gone into it. My clients are having issues with consistency (Mushclient and a mobile one) so I've turned it off for now and will make do with no color on the mobile client (and keep the client side coloring for Mushclient).

My pleasure.  There are some known consistency issues I have found and have been working to resolve off and on all weekend. Some but not all issues will be worked out shortly.  Like all new features of this magnitude, we can expect there to be issues.  I'll just knock them out one wrong color at a time!

I just introduced an old SoI friend to Arm and he was lamenting the lack of colors.  What timing!

Okay, I figured out how to get the colors to work, after a fair amount of experimenting with settings.

I now have another weird problem in CMUD:  whenever I click on the text in the active mud window, it sends the command:  "Number: 99 Number:100 Number:101 Number:102."

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.