The Art of Warfare - Siege Weapons

Started by mirk_o_loio, November 07, 2016, 10:10:54 AM

Hey hey.

How would Zalanthan Siege weapons look? Ballistae made of bone, slinging bone bolts tipped with bone?
Massive bone catapults mounted on mekillots and Braxats (like these in The Hobbit. That'd be awesome)
Or, do we have 'spec ops' on flying mounts that swarm over the walls with ropes for the troops to climb?
Quote from: nauta on February 23, 2015, 04:50:18 PM
Tek's Balls - See Utep's teeth.

If life gives you lemons, open a lemonade stand untill you make millions, invest into weapons and go to war.

<about throat>           a dull black gem
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 07, 2016, 10:13:04 AM
<about throat>           a dull black gem

Once upon a time, wasn't there a "flying fortress," or am I miss-remembering?

Siege weaponry in the Known would probably be viewed as "not really worth it."  Allanak has collared magic slingers who have the potential to raze most fortifications.  Tuluk would be the best candidate for deploying siege weaponry but their armies haven't marched far enough down the Known to actually threaten Allanak's walls.  If they ever did, I  am still not sure they'd go for siege weaponry.  Too large of a target for a fireball.  Sappers might be more viable.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

The most involved siege weaponry I've seen deployed in game consisted of sledge-mounted shields that were pushed forward. They provided coverage for soldiers carrying ladders forward. It was a very cool scene.

There's not a very big market for siege weaponry in Zalanthas. The state most likely to want it - Allanak - has the Gemmed. Tuluk deployed what I described above, but they're unlikely to want or need anything more. There's no good reason for the North to besiege Allanak and a lot of reasons why it'd be a terrible idea.

The only siege weapons I can conceive of are siege towers. Without metal, it's hard for me to imagine anyone, well, imagining siege weapons. No replaceable parts, no nails. No rivets. No bolts, no struts. It's just difficult in a world with Magick Bombs (See: Krathis) to want to build a wooden dongle when you can have your bomb just blow shit up.

Every few years some 'inventor' comes along that wants to make siege weapons, and it's honestly cringe worthy anachronism IMHO.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

November 07, 2016, 02:15:23 PM #5 Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:17:00 PM by nauta
I remember seeing in some Dark Sun campaign books a variety of interesting looking seige-like weapons.  Maybe I can google image them.

http://whinehurst.com/darksun/index.php?title=Mounts_and_Vehicles

No pictures, but check out the Drik war machines and the mekillot rams.  Tres cooles.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I've always wanted to mc a bow thats basically a hand held ballista that can only be realistically used by a halfgiant, maybe two.
With room damage aoe arrows......

But I don't think there are actual siege weapons ig/lore wise.
if anything Tuluk would have them because: A lot of wood. A LOT

Oh, is a bahamet a drik?

And one done up to siege:

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

L halfgiant
Here stands a rather tall halfgiant, upon close examination he is truly strapped for seige warfare

Head: A headmounted crossbow.
Over left shoulder: A shoulder mounted ballista.
Over right shoulder: A shoulder mounted ballista.
Torso: A chest strapped angry krathi shooting fireballs.

I'd be fine with a Bone Catapult if it broke all the time and barely worked.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Also trebuchet could be a thing. If we can build wagons a trebuchet could work.

November 07, 2016, 06:38:19 PM #13 Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:39:59 PM by Reiloth
Quote from: Hauwke on November 07, 2016, 05:46:23 PM

But why?

What are they going to lob, and at what?

Siege weapons were created for a great reason -- There were a lot of fortified positions that needed to be sieged. In Zalanthas, there's like one big ass city, and then another spooky city that people don't go to. There's nothing to siege.

The 'Art of Warfare' in Zalanthas really amounts to 'Lots of dudes over here, lots of dudes over there, let's mash them together'. I don't think we should over think it, because honestly in practice, it's a fucking mess. At best, you can flank a group of people. But we don't even have sophisticated calvary, not to mention defensible (yet pregnable) fortifications, and unit tactics.

~Jack Vance~

I like it.
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

Im not saying they would use it. But have you ever considered how 90% of earth tech was discovered in the times when that sort of thing happened? I kike to think they were bored and drunk af when the guy invented 'thing that tosses massive rocks at stuff' I really think that would be a valid theory know what I mean.

Quote from: Reiloth on November 07, 2016, 06:38:19 PM
Quote from: Hauwke on November 07, 2016, 05:46:23 PM
Siege weapons were created for a great reason -- There were a lot of fortified positions that needed to be sieged. In Zalanthas, there's like one big ass city, and then another spooky city that people don't go to. There's nothing to siege.

I agree, we got no war happening or at least it feels like it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Actually IRL heavy weapons, like  ballista or some type of stone throwers were also used against mass infantry. Also, fantasy setting like Forgotten Realms, Golarion has siege weapons. Their writers give good reasons why there are still heavy weapons on battlefields where magic so powerful.

On the other hand, from a discussion from long past, I remember a staff(Savak perhaps) gave a few great reasons for not using siege weapons in Zalanthas. First, complex parts need metal components for machines to work; Second, there are half-giants whom can toss great spears through ranks of soldiers or toss huge rocks.. 

PS. I actually really like to see chariots as well.. That would be cool. :D
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT