I need ideas.

Started by Toofie, October 26, 2016, 07:39:19 PM

Just like the title says, I need some role ideas.
The more creative the better. Feel free to PM if you prefer.
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

city-elf pickpocket or burglar/vivaduan corruption

ultimate griefer
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Burglar/your stealth class of choice + Desolation krathis.

Enjoy

a morbidly obese whiran
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

A tall, muscular warrior who is hemophobic.

Breed ranger with a fear of wide open spaces
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Normal human Allanaki who is extremely superstitious and goes through daily (mundane) rituals to protect themselves from witches.

Bonus points if they somehow end up working for Oash.

My best roles always come from the vanilla human with a more or less unremarkable BG. Go soldier, Bynner, or beggar. Use your starting coins for a 2day bender and then scrape and struggle your way into something fun.

The roles I spend hours brainstorming, more hours writing up, meticulously adding scars and building a perfect suit of clothing.... die. Usually in the first week of play.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: WarriorPoet on October 27, 2016, 09:06:24 AM
My best roles always come from the vanilla human with a more or less unremarkable BG

you sing the song of my people

Quote from: Delirium on October 27, 2016, 08:58:25 AM
Normal human Allanaki who is extremely superstitious and goes through daily (mundane) rituals to protect themselves from witches.

Bonus points if they somehow end up working for Oash.

Nice!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Generally I think of something I want to try to do with a character and go from there. So lets say that I want to hunt 10,000 chalton:
Probably an Allanaki citizen.
Probably a dwarf given the sheer number.
Hunting? Ranger.

So southern stump ranger with the focus of hunting 10,000 chalton (which may or may not contitute annhilating an entire species)

Antagonist/Former Slave - They are a former slave of Allanak (you can get the tattoos in Red Storm starting shops), you can also send up a request to Southern team to state who you were  slave of so you can actually be hunted.  Though that entirely depends on the PCs if the character is hunted or not.

You could turn the PC into a raider, a hater of Allanak... maybe they try to find others like themselves so they can feel like they "belong" to something.  They could just try to survive even... staying under the radar in constant fear.  Travel a lot, but don't make "Friends"... the word friend shouldn't be popular to this character who has little reason to ever trust anyone.

Edit:  If dwarf, they take on the focus after being free... to free other slaves.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

a merchant/jeweler, who starts as an initiate crafter in Kadius and eventually becomes crafter, master crafter, switches over to agent trainee, agent, then overseer. then starts pissing people off, and waits to be poisoned. Bonus points if you manage to kill off a Salaari leader or something without getting caught.

I remember there was a Salaari woman, who was cray-cray. She ended up turning most of the game against her and survived for a while. I wonder what became of her.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

A subguild you've never tried before on a guild that feels familiar and comfortable, like house servant or weaponscrafter. If you like the subguild, good, if its meh, then you've got a big set of skills to fall back on. Also, house servant has hide, which is always fun.

An elf who isn't a throwaway, or an immediate danger to the humans around them. If you hang around long enough with that attitude the humans will stop fearing your presence and will be more willing to trade with you, which is probably essential since I have yet to play an elf who doesn't live hand to mouth.

A street urchin from the Rinth who has been mentally carved into a sociopath. Nasty, very little regard for life, bullies his peers into working for him by threatening them and their loved ones/friends. Starts a street gang of ruthless kids.

A breed gemmer that comes from the 'rinth and has some sort of non-fme, obvious mutation, whose parent (one of them) is actually a Tuluki.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Kankfly on October 28, 2016, 12:11:35 PM
A breed gemmer that comes from the 'rinth and has some sort of non-fme, obvious mutation, whose parent (one of them) is actually a Tuluki.

*blinks* Ouch... that actually sounds a bit interesting.

Some really cool ideas here.
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

Burglar/Pickpocket who thinks owning any more than needed for survival is an affront to the Dragon, proceeds to rob people blind only to throw everything he steals into great bonfires seeking praise.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on October 28, 2016, 10:36:47 PM
Burglar/Pickpocket who thinks owning any more than needed for survival is an affront to the Dragon, proceeds to rob people blind only to throw everything he steals into great bonfires seeking praise.

Like a Robin Hood! Steal from the rich and give to the poor!

Make a dwarf for extra dedication. Bonus points if he does that all in disguise. Keeping his Robin Hood identity a secret is a must. Regular citizen by day, vigilante by night.

I ruin immershunz.

A horribly schizophrenic and identify crisis'd dwarf with two focus's and two personalities.

Kind of stole these from Claymore....

a clan member who is not in leadership immediately, but has noticeable leadership skills.
a clan member who is professional with those outside the clan but has fights with those in it.
a clan member who is the weakest in the clan's fighter/hunter branch, but has the most reason to be a strong fighter.

Play a loyal af clan member. Like elven loyalty but human or something instead.

a tribal human ranger/linguist who lives with the d-elves, having been driven away from his people for *reasons*
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: Kankfly on October 29, 2016, 02:09:20 AM
Quote from: lostinspace on October 28, 2016, 10:36:47 PM
Steal from the rich and give to the BURNING!

dwarven focus ~ make fire everywhere you go
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

You can always apply for a nontraditional position, and usually they will take you.

Unless you're Oash, which is sometimes full, or the Byn, who...

I swear, I kind of... well, one time this girl wanted to be a cook for the Byn. And everyone kept saying, "You gotta pay 300 to be Byn!" and secretly I'm like, Dude, the girl just wants to be a cook, but everyone kept shouting that and I'm like, okay, glad its not my problem.

I've seen sweepers, stablehands, aides to merchants, medics. There's all kinds of things you could be.

Quote from: a french mans shirt on October 30, 2016, 11:35:47 PM
You can always apply for a nontraditional position, and usually they will take you.

Unless you're Oash, which is sometimes full, or the Byn, who...

I swear, I kind of... well, one time this girl wanted to be a cook for the Byn. And everyone kept saying, "You gotta pay 300 to be Byn!" and secretly I'm like, Dude, the girl just wants to be a cook, but everyone kept shouting that and I'm like, okay, glad its not my problem.

I've seen sweepers, stablehands, aides to merchants, medics. There's all kinds of things you could be.

I will honestly say that flavor roles like this are awesome and if you have any question is you can take someone for that, hit up your staff. Not everyone may take someone like this, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I would have taken the cook, I mean rule of the Byn is you got your three small you get food water and training. Nowhere does it state what sort of training *wink wink nudge nudge*

A dwarf whose focus is to kill everyone in the world. You could make friends with soldiers, make friends with a nilazi. Pay witches to teach you about magick, keeping it hush-hush.

An elf who buys materials and sells finished products, screwing people over occasionally, but keeping enough of his business attractive enough to feed himself.

Buy a grill and sell sausages. Steadfastly refuse to get involve with politics or drama. Make and sell sausages. Then, when you have amassed a Nenyuk like fortune, hire the Byn, bribe all the soldiers and merchant houses, and take down Allanak.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

When you play a mundane human, after such a long time playing something else, it feels a little surprising, how everyone tends to welcome you and be relatively nicer to you than otherwise, and they treat you like you are most likely going to be someone useful or pertinent to them, and I'm like lol, I prefer scraping in the dirt for my food.

Seriously though--- a human who is just some unwashed, illiterate, mundane, unclanned, subsistence lifestyle human. Like basically all those npcs walking around. Someone who genuinely doesn't matter (not that anyone does--- I'm talking relative terms, in relation to all those bynners, house hunters and soldiers.)

And then one day you both manifest in a wild, possibly staff-assisted way and reveal that you are a retired serial killer whose physical maturity has allowed them to finally control the need to kill. Awesome. I did something like this once, but I sort of spaced it out, and left it to question whether or not I would have killed those people had I been on my own.

I played a hyperintelligent commoner human once.

You can do it. I'm not saying nobles are or aren't superior as a group in this aspect: but you are allowed to play a human with a high i.q. I think you would need to look up examples of logic to inject into your play, and I wasn't as smart as my character back when I did this: what I did was have her invent the Rule of Nines by herself and (this was me) solve a seemingly unsolvable puzzle where she figured out that an elf in a vnpc situation was the culprit. Other than that, I didn't really do anything. People figured out pretty early on what I was about and they did not like it. Don't expect to be treated nicely by those outside your clan. This is a power they can't have.

Or play someone with a serious, crippling fear of something. It can be anything. Better if its something harmless, like pies, something that would suggest your character isn't alright in the head. Also, they are bad folks, like a traitor or something, and they make this odd weakness widely known before they do the dirty and flee to Storm.

Quote from: a french mans shirt on November 01, 2016, 12:03:53 PM
I played a hyperintelligent commoner human once.

You can do it. I'm not saying nobles are or aren't superior as a group in this aspect: but you are allowed to play a human with a high i.q. I think you would need to look up examples of logic to inject into your play, and I wasn't as smart as my character back when I did this: what I did was have her invent the Rule of Nines by herself and (this was me) solve a seemingly unsolvable puzzle where she figured out that an elf in a vnpc situation was the culprit. Other than that, I didn't really do anything. People figured out pretty early on what I was about and they did not like it. Don't expect to be treated nicely by those outside your clan. This is a power they can't have.

Or play someone with a serious, crippling fear of something. It can be anything. Better if its something harmless, like pies, something that would suggest your character isn't alright in the head. Also, they are bad folks, like a traitor or something, and they make this odd weakness widely known before they do the dirty and flee to Storm.

I love playing my low as dirt rinthis as extremely cunning and smart (if untaught). The sort that can track down stolen goods with nothing but situational awareness.
3/21/16 Never Forget

a half-elf hunter.  So enamoured with the superiority of the human race that he or she takes it upon themself to track and kill every filthy abominination half-elf he or she can.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

I'm fairly certain you have to be merchant/some crafter subguild in order to be taught a second craft skill by someone, although this could have changed since the last time I tried. Branching the right craft skill can take forever especially if you don't know how to do it. This idea is for a crafter for a merchant house. I think hunter turnover is high enough that they generally want hunters first, especially since a single, relatively active crafter can fill their crafting needs.

But you could do a merchant/the right crafting subguild, enter a merchant house as a crafter, get lucky about your coworkers and learn another relevant craft skill, and then do that for a couple of months or longer, just as something different. Or find someone who knows how to make swords/weave cloth and pay them to teach you. Probably not a good idea if you need your grevious wounds and unbelievable damage.

Barth
The greasy, unshaven man
you specialize in cooking up disgusting bar food at the gaj, and providing comedic interlude.

idea stolen from a character from You Can't Do That On Television

-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on November 09, 2016, 04:32:47 PM
Barth
The greasy, unshaven man
you specialize in cooking up disgusting bar food at the gaj, and providing comedic interlude.

If people start emoting about slime from the sky, I will punch you in the balls, sir.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Someone who is a quarter elf or has just a little bit of elf in their lineage.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Quote from: 650Booger on November 09, 2016, 04:32:47 PM
Barth
The greasy, unshaven man

Is that show seriously still around? I remember seeing it when I would visit my town-friends as a little kid, like 40 years ago. :)

Quote from: ChibiTama on November 18, 2016, 10:18:34 AM

I enjoy playing quarter elves. Quarter humans, well. Meh.

How about this one: a krathi devastation aspect who lives a completely and utterly normal life, never manifesting. Once a game year, around their birthday, they have a dream about killing someone.

A tribal for whom fighting is sacred. Merchant/nomad.

A ranger/unmanifested witch living in Morin's, providing rp for those visiting the place, and able to feed themselves off the land because I haven't been there yet and have no idea what people do there to feed themselves. Rangers for life.

Burglar/House Aide concubine-hopeful that has to start off at the bottom of the barrel. Tries to find people to show off their sexual abilities (if any!) while getting by sneaking into people's apartments and 'learning more about them' (read: stealing their clothes to learn their smells)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: a french mans shirt on November 18, 2016, 12:02:58 PM
Quote from: ChibiTama on November 18, 2016, 10:18:34 AM

I enjoy playing quarter elves. Quarter humans, well. Meh.

How about this one: a krathi devastation aspect who lives a completely and utterly normal life, never manifesting. Once a game year, around their birthday, they have a dream about killing someone.

A tribal for whom fighting is sacred. Merchant/nomad.

A ranger/unmanifested witch living in Morin's, providing rp for those visiting the place, and able to feed themselves off the land because I haven't been there yet and have no idea what people do there to feed themselves. Rangers for life.
Here's a quick guide to surviving any place no matter what.

Pick ranger and use forage.

A dwarf whose goal is to map the whole world. Gives you an excuse to go explore without looking like a complete retard or a new player whose first goal is to learn the wilds. The sewers was an option to explore that I didn't really think about, and only stumbled on accidentally when I made a sewer hermit, the daughter of a rinthi. She had a cleft lip, and no skills with people. Died to dehydration, actually, rather than aggros in the sewers.

Someone with the goal of opening a coffee shop, or a coffee trade, to Allanak. Tribal would work well.

Someone who experiences unusual side effects from becoming more attuned to their element, such as hyperintelligence, or eating more meat, or getting a compulsion to scratch their arms. I have a real life compulsion to pick at spots on my hands and lips, I will be doing it and not be able to stop half the time, or be talking or doing something else, and doing it, while I'm not noticing. I've played for a chunk of time here and have never actually seen someone with compulsive behavior. I've seen really stupid people, three midgets, particularly smart people, people who have refused to eat something in particular, drunkards.