Read/Write Downtime Speculation

Started by Desertman, October 07, 2016, 03:28:16 PM

Those read/write changes incoming....

Could more literacy be a thing coming down the pipe? Oh sweet dear loveable Nathvaan, give me the goods, I'll have your bebe.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

make longer books!
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

I wouldn't mine more literacy from a gameplay perspective, not so sure about lore or setting though. As it stands I don't expect this change to affect me at all unless they are expanding literacy to commoners. I've found that noble / aide roles are not my thing. I seem to have more fun the lower on the social food chain I am.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Literacy can remain illegal even if it's widespread. Literacy being codedly easier to use (and thus the law being codedly-easier to flaunt) does not mean the fundamental setting or lore will need to change.

<leans head in>

Wh...what? Read/Write changes coming? I...I... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I MISS THIS GAME

<leans back out>
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

If nothing else, the ability to read, store, and process books and scrolls in game would be wonderful. Not enough books are written, or scrolls passed between people as "the secure way to send things".

I hope this means either: Books become objects that pull information stored in the database (rather than on the item itself) or that the system of reading and writing will change so much that it will almost be a player-run item-creation without all the failures of being irreplaceable.

I remember reading a book as a Tuluki Templar that went into pretty decent detail about a particular enemy, but the fact that it could be lost if it wasn't in a save room during a crash and would be COMPLETELY IRREPLACEABLE was always on my mind. Sometimes I would go read in public, and get more adrenaline pumping than when in combat because what if the crash erased the book!?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

October 07, 2016, 04:57:51 PM #6 Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:01:04 PM by Desertman
Yeah, there are enough lawless areas in the game that it doesn't have to be made legal to be made more widespread. You might argue that making it more widespread and keeping it illegal would make it so that it became something more actively stomped out/sought out IC'ly.

Right now it's illegal, but all that really means FOR THE MOST PART is that only certain people get it codedly and soldiers aren't exactly worried about catching secret readers/writers because let's face it....ooc'ly they all know it's not really a thing that's going to come along often enough to be a problem.

However I wouldn't mind seeing it become legal. I feel it would open up a world of fun and interesting plots and sandbox elements for the players that we currently do not have.

How incredibly awesome would it be to be able to keep in-game ledgers for your character's businesses? In-game journals for their lives? In-game love letters and notes and agreements? It would be awesome. The amount of "awesome" this would lead to in terms of people being able to come along and read "your stuff" at a later date alone makes it worth it in terms of value added to the game/fun added for players many times over IMO.

I hope this is just being able to access books by staff, rather than actually needing the in game objects.

I mean, I couldn't look at the entire Negean library because it was bugged. I was totally bummed.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on October 07, 2016, 09:50:16 PM
I hope this is just being able to access books by staff, rather than actually needing the in game objects.

I mean, I couldn't look at the entire Negean library because it was bugged. I was totally bummed.

By the wording involved, I'm not so sold on there being changes to reading and writing as much as I am on there being a database of writings.  Which is still muy bueno.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'll always be counting the days until I can app Croaker and join the Byn.

LET'S MAKE LITERACY GREAT AGAIN
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

Quote from: Delirium on October 07, 2016, 10:32:55 PM
I'll always be counting the days until I can app Croaker and join the Byn.

THAT IS MY ROLE

YOU GO AWAY

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Armaddict on October 07, 2016, 10:00:31 PM
Quote from: Bogre on October 07, 2016, 09:50:16 PM

By the wording involved, I'm not so sold on there being changes to reading and writing as much as I am on there being a database of writings.  Which is still muy bueno.

That's what I meant, yeah, since currently the only thing which holds the writing is the actual in game object itself.

My experience with books in game leads me to believe that many of them have been lost, some to crashes, some to being lost in non-save rooms, and some to a very peculiar bug which seems to cause pages from one book to mysteriously overwrite pages in another.  I've encountered 3 or so books in game which mysteriously become the back half of an entirely different book about halfway through, and I am pretty sure this is not intentional.

Maybe these fixes have something to do with that.

People actually reading and writing illegally being a thing would be sweet. Maybe my dirt-grubbing cowkiller just isn't catching them or something.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

I would like to see Nobles flaunting their reading and writing around a little more tbh. I know of... two people I have interacted with that did it publicly. Seems a little wasted since folks never get to feel like shit that they are too stupid to do this thing.

it would be super fun to be an outlaw read/writer.  I suppose it would take staff intervention to grant the skill to a mundane, and a ton of roleplaying about staring at a book with a confused expression.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on October 09, 2016, 08:15:20 AM
it would be super fun to be an outlaw read/writer.  I suppose it would take staff intervention to grant the skill to a mundane, and a ton of roleplaying about staring at a book with a confused expression.

Make Scribe a subguild/extended subguild.

Wouldnt it be awesome if they allowed one to create mdescs for objects? Like some super skill of a merch to just create a no-function item that allowed the merchant to write up the mdesc/strings to it? A mini MC. To be taken away, if ever abused.

how is this related to this thread? Hrmh. Umh. Uh. Well. It just came into my head as I was reading this thread, so somehow, somewhere, someway it is related. Obviously.

Would be awesome if you could use this to create paintings/drawings.

October 09, 2016, 02:16:21 PM #20 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:50:50 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on October 09, 2016, 02:16:21 PM
Quote from: Delirium on October 09, 2016, 01:55:48 PM
Would be awesome if you could use this to create paintings/drawings.

And graffiti
"TEMPLAR? MORE LIKE DUMPLAR"

Quote from: Riev on October 07, 2016, 04:55:03 PM
If nothing else, the ability to read, store, and process books and scrolls in game would be wonderful. Not enough books are written, or scrolls passed between people as "the secure way to send things".

I hope this means either: Books become objects that pull information stored in the database (rather than on the item itself) or that the system of reading and writing will change so much that it will almost be a player-run item-creation without all the failures of being irreplaceable.

I remember reading a book as a Tuluki Templar that went into pretty decent detail about a particular enemy, but the fact that it could be lost if it wasn't in a save room during a crash and would be COMPLETELY IRREPLACEABLE was always on my mind. Sometimes I would go read in public, and get more adrenaline pumping than when in combat because what if the crash erased the book!?

This is a common misconception which I've tried to clear up in the past, but it persists.

Notes are stored outside of the normal game.  We have note files going back to 1995.  If you've written a note, book, scroll, etc... we have it stored.  We sometimes go plumbing through them for old bits of information, or just to pick a choice morsel to drop back into the game.  We've also been contacted by people from Armageddon's past asking for something they had written.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"