Release notes: thorns on pickable plants

Started by BadSkeelz, October 03, 2016, 01:20:25 PM

Quote- Pickable plants are now able to bear thorns that damage the player if unavoided
- Pickable plants are now able to be poisonous on contact to inexperienced herb-gatherers
- Pickable plants are now able to bear poisonous thorns that damage and poison the player if unavoided

On my first ranger I remember being mildly terrified of what kind of defenses all the plants around Tuluk might have carried to the point of rarely gathering anything (I blame Fathi and the fights one of her characters' would get in to with a rosebush). It's interesting now to see my newbie fears being made manifest.

What makes an "inexperienced herb-gatherer"? Will these skill checks be against Foraging? Some other skill? I'd ask how widespread they're going to look but I suspect that's find-out-IC.

As poisoning (and by extension, accidental poisoning) is controlled by the poisoning skill, you can expect that any plant with the ability to be poisonous on contact will roll against that skill, although everyone has a base chance to avoid being poisoned. That type of contact is akin to touching poison ivy or something similar.

Previously a few plants were set up like this, but different code was made specifically for those plants and the chance to be poisoned was completely random. The goal here was to reduce the complexity of our code and make similar objects in the game function similarly.

This is super cool. Nicely done.

Any hints as to what range of poisons are potentially available from these? I.E:

Everything?
Damn near everything?
Halfway to everything?

Czar of City Elves.

I can't imagine what it was like, trying to normalize all that  just to "basically" make things more dangerous. Jerks!

Also, well done! I especially like that it gives "rangers" more use outdoors than just "I know where to find it". Now you gotta know where to find it, what it does, and how to AVOID it doing that to you!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I do hope wearing gloves will help not get your self murdered on rose bushes.

Earlier today in Tuluk, it was reported that a slew of Dasari aides had suddenly fallen ill and died.

/rat
Czar of City Elves.

Hrm.

I thought...there were already plants...that poisoned you when you picked from them.   ???
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on October 03, 2016, 04:52:53 PM
Hrm.

I thought...there were already plants...that poisoned you when you picked from them.   ???

Yes, but what Nergal seems to be saying is that was more a VERY PARTICULAR SET of plants, and each one was coded differently. This way, it sounds like a setting they can add to any plants, with different parameters, rather than setting it up differently every time.

Quote from: Riev on October 03, 2016, 04:54:36 PM
Hrm.

Yes, but what Nergal seems to be saying is that was more a VERY PARTICULAR SET of plants, and each one was coded differently. This way, it sounds like a setting they can add to any plants, with different parameters, rather than setting it up differently every time.

Yes, exactly.

I hope it echos that you get poisoned rather than
Pick leaf plant

10 mins later...

Dood falls off beetle dead.
Because he didnt realise he pricked his little finger, although given the supposed toughness of these guys I suppose not noticing a small cut might be right up their alley.

Quote from: Nergal on October 03, 2016, 04:58:29 PM
Quote from: Riev on October 03, 2016, 04:54:36 PM
Hrm.

Yes, exactly.

Ahhh, I see.  I was wondering if that had been removed at some point or something.

So a question, then.  Should we, the playerbase, expect some plants that were 'safe' before to suddenly change to dangerous, or will be notified of such things?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'd be more for the plant telling you, in northern-accented sirihish, that you've picked enough of me, friend! and then hits you with a triggered metamagic fireball.

I mean. That, or 'camping' outside a known poisonous flower, preying on the foolish. NEW INCOME SOURCE VERIFIED.

Some plants have a description that screams poisonous.  I, like Badskeelz, was afraid to even go near them.  I like that we'd have to discover which ones are poisonous through in-game lore.  This is so very cool.  It'd be nice if 'ass -v' allowed those skilled in the art of poison to detect a poison on a plant.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

just mastercraft yourself some ox-wool gloves. u be gucci bae

Staff are always coming up with new cool things.  Well done.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."