Elves: The Thread

Started by nauta, September 02, 2016, 12:25:43 PM

I want to thank Rathustra for jumping in because anything I post in response after would've just made me seem snarky and mean.

That said, for people who does think this is a good option, remember that while NPCs aren't played by players, you should also remember that you also don't know what their responses are. But if you do want to create a relationship with an NPC, I think it is possible, by reporting these sort of things to staff as well as sending in logs, so that staff can determine how the NPC would react to you.

If you want to develop a relationship with a rinthi NPC kid, then by all means do. It's not your job to determine its reaction to your RP, but the staff's. So yes, it's entirely possible to do it, you just have to do it in a correct way.

Sorry for the derail. Let's go back to the topic.

I am all for opening city elf tribes again. I'd like to see the Jaxa Pah once again made available for play, because it's already IG. I've had good experience playing in that clan, and now that I'm slightly less newbie than before (still newbie), I'd love to try again.
I ruin immershunz.

September 03, 2016, 09:28:55 AM #76 Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:51:32 AM by Desertman
Elves are bad mmmmkay?

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Kankfly, let me again point out that Nauta never claimed to have developed a relationship with the NPC in question. She would simply use the disarm code to take their weapons, completely legit, then hand them a sparring weapon and fight them, along the lines of "git gud skrub", then disarm them again to take it back. You, too, are reading a lot into it. Did you witness this firsthand? Or are you simply filling in the gaps with assumptions? I ask because I encounter this problem frequently, it's a very human problem to make assumptions, I do it too, but I recognize it and try not to let it get out of hand, though it may be necessary for acting in the moment at times.

That said, let's stop derailing, one of my neighbors outside won't stop bitching, moaning and screaming, so it's got my nerves on edge. The topic is clanned/unclanned c-elves, not what Nauta does with her sparring weapons when she thinks no one is looking.

Shush, Dman, you're on my list now (totally joking). That said, that was bad. :P
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

So now, I'm usually not an advocate for summary post deletion and heavy moderation, but what is this thread about again? I forgot.

Quote from: Dar on September 03, 2016, 09:53:52 AM
So now, I'm usually not an advocate for summary post deletion and heavy moderation, but what is this thread about again? I forgot.

Get over your fear of tangents, they're a fact of life. The topic is a question which is two-fold. Is now the right time for c-elf hard-coded tribes, or at least c-elf friendly clans and/or gangs? And should the idea of tribeless d-elves be revisited, or virtual, non-coded tribal d-elf backgrounds? What are the merits and drawbacks, and potential problems of either? Should the east side of the rinth have a force to balance against the Guild (as it stands, anyone wanting to just murder all PC city elves who works up in the ranks can do so without consequence)? Discuss.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Tangents aside, celves being eligible for a (small) buff seems like something many people believe warranted. Delf-style running appears not to be the plan, and I can see how that's not very thematic, but I had another idea, a little while ago. It may be not terribly thematic, grossly overpowered, whatever else, but I think it might be interesting to give celves darkvision. Pretend it comes from all the nighttime activity, something else, I don't care. I can think of many ways to use it, but it's still a rather niche benefit.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I like it. I believe there is a coded way to see the rooms in the dark, without allowing living beings/objects be seen. Give that to them. Allow them to orientate perfectly in the dark, but they still need light to see living beings.

Quote from: Dar on September 03, 2016, 12:16:57 PM
I like it. I believe there is a coded way to see the rooms in the dark, without allowing living beings/objects be seen. Give that to them. Allow them to orientate perfectly in the dark, but they still need light to see living beings.
This would be cool. It would also buff them as thieves, because they could function completely in the dark and steal stuff from unsuspecting people if they lacked a torch or walked down a dark alley
yousuck

I'm not for Desert Elves as a Lonefoot option. I agree that the SLK and Sun Runners are their own flavor, and if you aren't into that flavor, that's all there is. So it can either get boring or just not suit the concept you have in mind.That, and elves in these tribes tend to live a long time (relatively speaking), so if you don't enjoy playing around them, you're SOL. Sort of the same issue with only having Allanak around, not much to bump between.

I'd be all for a new D-elf Tribe, or the ability to apply for 'family roles' in the same way you can with cities. So you can come up with a basically 'nobody tribe' of Desert Elves, 4 people max, and same rules for the family roles.

I'd also be all for city elf tribes. As i've said before, I don't think these tribes need much. Some Documentation, limitations, how to punish people who step out of line or put the family at risk, common sayings. Staff can open or close tribes depending on need/want in Allanak, and to prevent a TPK turning into a revenge party (So if all 4 of a tribe are wiped out by a group/clan, 4 more don't just pour out of the sewer to get revenge against them). The tribe would still be a virtual presence, but not have PC presence for a few months.

If there were 4 tribes (2 in the Rinth, 2 in Allanak), Staff could decide if there were enough C-Elves bopping around, and soft cap the tribes. They wouldn't be app'd into like the SLK or Sun Runners, they would be opened and closed by Staff in a role call.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I will say, the prospect of Byn expeditions dragging a kicking and screaming celf along to toss into dark caves is one which makes me chuckle.

Quote from: Patuk on September 03, 2016, 01:02:18 PM
I will say, the prospect of Byn expeditions dragging a kicking and screaming celf along to toss into dark caves is one which makes me chuckle.

I guess the way to do this would be to give them 'master' direction sense, or a high starting direction sense. That way, they can move through darkness but not see people.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I mean, master direction sense would allow elves to walk through sandstorms and such as if they were nothing, too, which sounds like overkill. Without actually seeing others in the dark, the darkvision just isn't actually useful.

Oh. You mean straight up infra vision then.

~Jack Vance~

Yes, I do.

Quote from: Patuk on September 03, 2016, 02:05:10 PM
Yes, I do.

It isn't exactly game breaking, as it's a pretty niche area/set of places that it would be useful. As a sewer dwelling tribe, I could totally see at least some city elves starting with infra vision. It'd almost be like...Do you want to play the sewer elf, or the roof top elf? One gets infra vision, the other gets master climb, regardless of guild/subguild. Sort of like how D-elves get sneak and hide.

~Jack Vance~

If we're going to talk climb, I just want to note that city subguilds not getting it up as high as ranger does is ludicrous, but that equine has been beaten to death long ago as well.

without treading into current events, I just wanted to add that, to the best of my knowledge, city elf tribes already exist (player made)
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Maybe retcon the worst of the elvish racism and allow city elves to join merchant clans?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on September 03, 2016, 02:41:37 PM
Maybe retcon the worst of the elvish racism and allow city elves to join merchant clans?

They can already join Kurac, no?

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on September 03, 2016, 02:45:28 PM

Just the Fist. Allow them to join merchant ops as well.

And Salarr and Kadius.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on September 03, 2016, 02:46:35 PM

And Salarr and Kadius.

Ehhhh....Not a fan, personally. I think Elves should be marginalized as it defines their character and place in the world. There's plenty of other Races you can play if you don't want to be blamed for literally every bad thing that happens in Allanak.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on September 03, 2016, 02:50:52 PM
Quote from: Jingo on September 03, 2016, 02:46:35 PM

And Salarr and Kadius.

Ehhhh....Not a fan, personally. I think Elves should be marginalized as it defines their character and place in the world. There's plenty of other Races you can play if you don't want to be blamed for literally every bad thing that happens in Allanak.

This ties in to Jingo's point of it being headcanon, so please point me to the place in the documentation where it says elves have it worse than dwarves or half-giants.

I think it should be a possibility. If for no other reason to ease the restrictions on what city elves can do.

And besides. Why wouldn't a merchant house want a street savvy, smooth talking, deal swinging, coin mongering sharp as a merchant? I'm certain someone in the GMH heirarchy can see it that way.

Quote from: Jingo on September 03, 2016, 02:57:26 PM
I think it should be a possibility. If for no other reason to ease the restrictions on what city elves can do.

And besides. Why wouldn't a merchant house want a street savvy, smooth talking, deal swinging, coin mongering sharp as a merchant? I'm certain someone in the GMH heirarchy can see it that way.

Because no one in their right mind would trust an elf to not be selling them a shirt with no buttons that will unravel the moment they try it on?

~Jack Vance~

Note that I don't think allowing celves into the GMH sales structure is going to magically fix them. I think they're just bad, and need some coded buff. That's all.