Fighting Styles

Started by yousuff, August 31, 2016, 06:58:03 PM

Out of curiosity, at some point in the past were characters given coded fighting styles? Like giving them scripted attacks with an effect or something? Are they still ingame? Can they be special apped? Can they be learned ingame (assuming they exist)? Should they exist? Should they be something a warrior of sufficient skill can aspire to get? Am I asking too many questions? Inquiring minds wish to know :)
yousuck

Don't think so, beyond the sense of RP. At least at this point.

Advanced Weapons for Warriors sort of extend into a 'fighting style' mythos, but they're also just sort of a different weapon.

The only difference in fighting style that comes to mind are like the 'Heavy Armor + Shield' style of Tuluk, and the 'Light Armor + Dual Wielded Weapons, typically short blades' of Allanak. But that was rather loose and never really heavily enforced from what I saw, more of a flavor thing you could choose to follow.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

There was a brief time where people were calling it 'fighting styles', but all it really was was scripted 'finishing moves' that beheaded people with your killing blow and such.  They were neat, but nothing particularly special.

If it ever went beyond that, I'm unaware of it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

August 31, 2016, 08:19:07 PM #3 Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:47:43 PM by Inks
You might be thinking of the wrist razors that had extra scripted attacks and were kinda bullshit. They also would power emote your opponent smirking when you missed.

There were some happy scrabs in those days.

Master kick/ bash/ and disarm are pretty damn lethal, and are mastered comparatively quickly. I like it when people roleplay martial artists or spartans or pit fighters with different styles. Is always cool to watch except when I see fresh-outta-gen PC emoting like they are a ninja while getting the snot kicked out of them in the sparring ring I cringe.

Quote from: Reiloth on August 31, 2016, 07:20:32 PM
Don't think so, beyond the sense of RP. At least at this point.

Advanced Weapons for Warriors sort of extend into a 'fighting style' mythos, but they're also just sort of a different weapon.

The only difference in fighting style that comes to mind are like the 'Heavy Armor + Shield' style of Tuluk, and the 'Light Armor + Dual Wielded Weapons, typically short blades' of Allanak. But that was rather loose and never really heavily enforced from what I saw, more of a flavor thing you could choose to follow.

Somewhat related to the original question, whips. Are these advanced weapons and if not is obtaining the skill somewhat like pilot where you just do it? Is there even a whips weapon skill? Is this something that would normally require staff intervention?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

AFAIK, whips are not related to a weapon skill and are thus weaker than most 'true' weapons, but can still be used effectively.  And they have a neato whipping script, which might require the receiving end have nosave of some sort put on (I'm not sure, this is off of memory alone on limited exposure).
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Advanced Weapons are a whole new type of weapon skill (with associated items) that warriors can branch off of the 4 normal weapon skills. Given the slow gain of weapon skill points, the high point at which Advanced Weapon Skills branch, and the near impossibility of raising a weapon skill by that point in your character's life, you will almost never ever ever see them.

The whip code Armaddict refers to can only be >used on a subdued person. I don't believe there's a way to use it on a non-subdued target. Which is good, as it's ludicrously powerful in terms of HP and Stun damage. It's basically a RP prop.

Didn't the A'jinn have something but it amounted to basically nothing interesting?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on August 31, 2016, 10:21:58 PM
Didn't the A'jinn have something but it amounted to basically nothing interesting?
The main reason I asked is because I remember northern templars having that weird touch ability that seemed like a fighting style. They could 'jab' with their fist and it had some sort of coded effect. I think it was lirathens?
yousuck

August 31, 2016, 11:41:30 PM #9 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:56:37 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Sounds massively over powered, unless you were actually a master, then it makes perfect sense because you should be fucking folks up left right and center.

August 31, 2016, 11:57:44 PM #11 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:56:24 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I suppose that is true, I mean if it is going to mess with you hardcore its scary.

Quote from: Molten Heart on August 31, 2016, 11:41:30 PM
Back around the "turn of the century" (2001ish lol) there were some fighting styles Krrx had implemented. They were tailored to existing "masters of fighting" and became a school of fighting with students learning the style from the person they learned from. A character of mine had one, the fighting style was called advanced hammer tactics. This was one of those times when hammers were in style and considered cool to use. The fighting style was basically a script that gave extra attacks with custom messages. These died out and faded as the characters that had them died, and as Krrx left staff.

Who had these?  Because I was around Rahnel, Ember, Thanos, Zeul, Sujaal, etc etc...and I never saw any of those, which makes me feel incredibly left out and puzzled as to who could have had them.

Quote from: yousuff on August 31, 2016, 10:30:46 PM
Quote from: Riev on August 31, 2016, 10:21:58 PM
The main reason I asked is because I remember northern templars having that weird touch ability that seemed like a fighting style. They could 'jab' with their fist and it had some sort of coded effect. I think it was lirathens?

jihaens, and it was...

it was basically like, in real life when you see these guys who do these special pressure point strikes and it does crazy shit. i can give you an example.

it did something kinda like this:

https://youtu.be/xg9Y6TkGiSA?t=3m26s

or this:

https://youtu.be/tm8idpgjDT4?t=1m32s

it is not exactly these things, but it was similar.

by the way these movies are pretty cool kung-fu movies anyways so watch them. i think the jihaen special move was somewhat based on these particular abilities. there even used to be a room echo in the sanctuary about a jihaen using a finger-strike to stun a half-elf thief, but they changed it to... tackling... for some reason.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

As the cabbage said, what you're talking about is a VERY specific technique trained by the Jihaen Templars, and was not available outside of their ranks. Just as they were able to meditate and be granted something special from Muk Utep... this was so the magick-like Templars of the South weren't OBVIOUSLY BETTER because magick, the northern Templars had some things that made their utility useful as well.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Heh. The first Ip Man was great. Wish the others lived up to it.