Utility Skills: Bash door, block door, or 'ingrained skills'

Started by Reiloth, August 31, 2016, 12:12:07 PM

So, skills currently are guild specific, with a few skills that an be learned through trial and error (Pilot, for example).

What if every 'Guild' had access to trial and error skills that are based off stats (Strength, Agility, Wisdom, Endurance) but not 'learned' and not something you can 'get gud' at. So this isn't something that would appear on your skill list. There would be a helpfile listing 'common skills/commands', that would list all the things you could do, interact with the world in this way, etc.

Two examples that came to mind were -- Bash Door, Block Door. These would be based off strength/endurance. Doors could have different 'difficulty levels', say 1-25. Some doors could only be bashed by a half-giant, while others could be torn to flinders by a human or strong elf. Similar to D&D and failed checks, if you try to bash a door X amount of times (say 3), you go through a cooldown period. But you decrease the difficulty

Conversely, block door would be based on strength/endurance. You can (with others) attempt to block a door from being bashed in. Perhaps doors could also have a 'size' edesc that provides parameters for how many people can block the door at once (1, 2, 3, etc.). Each time someone on the other side attempts to bash it, you increase the difficulty of the door, but you take large hits to your stamina. The more people blocking the door, the less of a hit to stamina you get.

So, these skills wouldn't be 'skills' per se. They would be functions of your stats, similar to 'strength checks' or things of that sort. Everyone could do them. Some would just be better at them, based on raw strength, endurance, wisdom, or agility, rather than as a trained ability.

What other 'inrgrained' skills can you think of?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I wouldn't mind 'skill check' progression in certain areas/staff led RPTs... though the "Oooh we don't have a thief guess we can't do this" trope blows.

I'd almost be for the OPPOSITE of this, where after say 60/100 on a skill (assuming skills go to 100), you gain 'advanced' features. Like the reversal of disarms, etc.

I'd like if more skills had something similar. After a certain point, you can scan with a penalty, while watching someone. With a high bash skill, you can bash doors into splinters, while invoking crim-code.

so.. I agree but NOT?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on August 31, 2016, 12:16:57 PM
I wouldn't mind 'skill check' progression in certain areas/staff led RPTs... though the "Oooh we don't have a thief guess we can't do this" trope blows.

I'd almost be for the OPPOSITE of this, where after say 60/100 on a skill (assuming skills go to 100), you gain 'advanced' features. Like the reversal of disarms, etc.

I'd like if more skills had something similar. After a certain point, you can scan with a penalty, while watching someone. With a high bash skill, you can bash doors into splinters, while invoking crim-code.

so.. I agree but NOT?

IIRC, Staff can already do 'skill checks' and 'stat checks', or at least on some of the RPT's i've been on it seems that way.

There are just certain skills I don't think should be guild specific. Climb stands out foremost in my mind, but other sort of 'utility skills' that seem intuitive, or possible to try intuitively, rather than needing to have it on a skill list as part of your 'guild'.

In my mind, if your PC climbs a lot, they should learn how to climb. Not great, not a master by a long shot. But enough to get around reasonably well -- To go up, but probably not to go down.

In my mind, if your PC attempts to 'pilot' quite a bit, they learn how to pilot. Akin to this.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I have a sneaking suspicion this would lead to more dwarf focus along the line of: Bash every door in allanak

Or something along those lines. Which is sort of cool I guess.

August 31, 2016, 11:51:15 PM #5 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:56:30 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Stop stereotyping Red Storm migrant workers.

I am not a huge fan of this idea for the reason of strength being powerful enough.

Personally, I've never had a problem getting past doors in this game. I use the skills that are available to get past doors. If anyone has a problem getting past doors, I suggest you use the skills available to your PCs, like I have always been able to do. I've had a lot of success with my methods, so you're not going to convince me it should be any different.

One method I've used is to wait until someone leaves the room that's behind the locked door. Then I track them. Or I use subterfuge to find out where they've taken the treasure behind the door, if I wanted to rob the place.

'Bash door' hasn't been in the game until now. Therefore, it shouldn't be put in. We should only use the skills that are currently in the game, because I have used them successfully in the past.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Yeah but... Its a wooden door with no metal parts. To be completely fair, its the subterfuge V run'n'gun in my opinion.

Basically, you got your man who can pick locks, he can do this quiet like, yep, super stealthy ninja skills.

Or you can get brawny mc beefcake with good strength, im all for it being only a fairly loe need for strength to bash a door in. He comes in and kicks the door in all clear as day.

So long as bashing in a door incriminates you 100% of the time and more apartments get soldier patrols in them I feel this is fine.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Yeah... why should anyone need to play a burglar to rifle people's shit.  ::)
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: Desertman on September 01, 2016, 09:25:41 AM
So long as bashing in a door incriminates you 100% of the time and more apartments get soldier patrols in them I feel this is fine.

I'd be down for no entryway guards, 100% incriminate for bashing a door, and soldiers who patrol the halls with regularity.

The question would be... so you bashed the door in. Probably broke the lock. How does that "get fixed"?

(ICly, I'd assume Nenyuk would pay for increased patrols in their buildings, if replacing doors started getting costly.)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm completely against any door bashing, because it gives the only reason to roll a Burgalar (my favorite guild by far because it can go places others can't) to EVERYONE with access to the most optimized stat in the game. Now if you wanted to add some sort of wisdom based skill with a timer that lets you search for hidden characters, that's fine. Only 2 guilds are without scan anyways. Also I assume that the people patrolling Nenyuk's apartments would be Nenyuk employed soldiers, and as such they would respond to you destroying Nenyuk property with lethal force, as opposed to detainment.
3/21/16 Never Forget

I got visited by a Nenyuk with a half giant, when I tried to bash down a door with a glasshacker and a sniff of spice. So, yes. Talked or paid my way out of it.

September 01, 2016, 06:38:53 PM #14 Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:07:37 PM by Large Hero
Quote from: lostinspace on September 01, 2016, 03:55:31 PM
I'm completely against any door bashing, because it gives the only reason to roll a Burgalar (my favorite guild by far because it can go places others can't) to EVERYONE with access to the most optimized stat in the game. Now if you wanted to add some sort of wisdom based skill with a timer that lets you search for hidden characters, that's fine. Only 2 guilds are without scan anyways. Also I assume that the people patrolling Nenyuk's apartments would be Nenyuk employed soldiers, and as such they would respond to you destroying Nenyuk property with lethal force, as opposed to detainment.

I think that options that realistically should be options, like being able to bash a door down, should be looked at and put into the game if codedly feasible.

Rather than worry about very narrowly-defined classes having their roles trod on, we should fix those broken classes and make them desirable for other reasons.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on September 01, 2016, 06:45:10 PM
Ideally breaking down a door could be time consuming (unless you're some kind of half-giant) and make a lot of noise, alerting most other people in the building. Depending on how long it took to break down the door, maybe Nenyuk would offer rewards for anyone who helped catch any vandals identified while escaping. This would let the players police any problems that might get out of hand.

That, and setting difficulties of doors so they aren't easily bashed in by every Tom, Dick, and Harry would alleviate the problem somewhat.

Patrolling soldiers in Apartments, why not. I'm a proponent of doing away with the 'wanted code' and instead having Soldier PCs and NPCs apply it, if they are around. Having crime draw soldiers to your area, either slowly or quickly, makes sense too. It's been reported, so they start to come there. If you are bashing in a door repeatedly, guess what, a soldier's going to probably take you in.

Obviously, most coveted entrances are guarded anyways, so picking/bashing them in rarely happens as it is.

~Jack Vance~

To be very clear, I would like to see it as a low strength requirement so that even those pesky elves who got super lucky could do it. We are talking wooden doors after all with no metal reinforcement.

I read somewhere in the earlier posts about the reinforcing the door with people, and that would drain stamina each time.

Yeah do that with bashing it in, put a huge stamina spike on it, something heavy so you cant just run in and grab the heaviest stuff and drag it out (not that you should be doing that anyway) because you are tired.

Quote from: Large Hero on September 01, 2016, 06:38:53 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on September 01, 2016, 03:55:31 PM
I'm completely against any door bashing, because it gives the only reason to roll a Burglar (my favorite guild by far because it can go places others can't) to EVERYONE with access to the most optimized stat in the game. Now if you wanted to add some sort of wisdom based skill with a timer that lets you search for hidden characters, that's fine. Only 2 guilds are without scan anyways. Also I assume that the people patrolling Nenyuk's apartments would be Nenyuk employed soldiers, and as such they would respond to you destroying Nenyuk property with lethal force, as opposed to detainment.

I think that options that realistically should be options, like being able to bash a door down, should be looked at and put into the game if codedly feasible.

Rather than worry about very narrowly-defined classes having their roles trod on, we should fix those broken classes and make them desirable for other reasons.

See, that's all fine and dandy, except there are already hundreds of things some classes can do and others cannot. I'm not arguing that bashing in doors shouldn't be in the game, I'm arguing that making it a generic ability that everyone can do is extremely shitty for the Burglar guild because that's like, their one unique ability. Now, if it's tied to the actual bash skill and you have to have a bash skill equivalent to the picking skill needed to open the door, and on a failure you knock yourself down and make a loud noise on the other side, that seems pretty balanced. Those hundreds of options that are 'realistic' in game now, if you want to do them with any amount of success, you need to have the equivalent skill, or in some cases you can do so without the skill, but you're just rolling raw stat without the skill modifier and should expect to be considerably worse (or in some cases completely useless) compared to those with the skill.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on September 01, 2016, 07:57:05 PM
I'm not arguing that bashing in doors shouldn't be in the game, I'm arguing that making it a generic ability that everyone can do is extremely shitty for the Burglar guild because that's like, their one unique ability.

Yes, I know. My position is that instead of worrying about how 'generic door bash' would unbalance the system because it would make Burglars obsolete, we instead make Burglars more than the very narrowly-defined, poorly designed class they currently are.
- the Mumonkan

If bashing a door did damage to you, drained your stamina, and took multiple tries, I'd be up for it. Bashing doors down hurts like hell.

Ah, HP Damage for sure. I feel like many psionic abilities should cost HP as well as Stun, too.

More to the OP -- What other utility skills can you think of? Bash door/Block Door were just examples of ingrained abilities that anyone could do. I feel like Climb should be something people can learn with a modicum of success (Being able to easier go up than down).

Are there abilities you think should be based off 'Wisdom'? Endurance? Agility?

~Jack Vance~

I'm not really digging the idea of bashing down doors, some ingrained skills that everyone had though..

Climb to novice/apprentice.
Rescue to apprentice.

to name a couple.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Bashing doors should be tied to apartment expense. Some are flimsy, some are impenetrable. Also, the weak doors should be able to be reinforced.