RE: ATS, One weapon, two functions

Started by Armaddict, August 26, 2016, 03:12:00 PM

Durrit claw bracers at one time were worn as armor but changed your attacks from 'hitting' to piercing.

Perhaps that same code could be retasked and modified?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on August 26, 2016, 03:12:00 PM
Durrit claw bracers at one time were worn as armor but changed your attacks from 'hitting' to piercing.

Perhaps that same code could be retasked and modified?
This sounds cool. Why was it removed?
yousuck

I know one of Salarri family members back in 2011 made a mastercraft staff where you can use the flip command between a blade and an end.  I think it never sold, but I know his aide, Arros, showed it off and had a rumor about it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I mastercrafted an Allanaki version of a lirapet to mock the Northern templars, but I don't think anyone ever got the joke.

You can flip it from chopping (slashing, maybe? I forget) to bludgeoning.  I hardly ever see it in game anymore *sigh*.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Based on what I know from a past character, the 'flip' script allows an item to be flipped to an entirely different item, but it has a lot of issues. A sword, for example, that can be flipped into a glow crystal. But the user has no prompt to indicate whether it is in sword mode or crystal mode. They then go to attack an ankheg, and it turns out they're holding a coded glow crystal and not a coded sword...
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Wasn't that sword a Kurc item?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Plague rats in Tuluk used to drop segmented tails you could wear on your wrists and your hits would turn into 'whip' attacks and you could parry with them.

Something tells me wrist armor barehanded conversion is different from the 'use' and 'flip' commands on some items. I'd bet items that switch with 'use' and not 'flip' probably even use a different system from just 'flip'.

August 26, 2016, 06:31:58 PM #8 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:57:18 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

There was this wearable buckler I thought would be cool to double as a shield if unarmed. It did work as a shield if held though. Utimately though any 'wearable' gloves that double as weapons would be seriously OP though. Very tempting to imagine though :)

There are still a few weapons you can still flip in the game. However, my problem with the command is that you cannot flip weapons in combat. I cannot express how incredibly sad and disappointing that is to me.

You opponent says "Ha. You hit like a jozhal"
pemote face cracks a small grin
flip weapon
You do unspeakable damage

Incorrect, Dresan.

Flip is usable ONLY outside of combat.

In combat, "use" the weapon.

use staff
You flip the staff around and turn into a badass
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Are we talking about the razor wraps and anakore-gloves?  Which gave an automatic attack during battle?

I seem to remember, way back when I first joined, there being an IG item you could find from certain creatures which acted as both a piercing and slashing weapon using the slash command.

Not sure if it's still in or not.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

No, I'm just talking about items without a script, but that when you wore them they changed your base attack type from hit to piercing.

Apparently there's been a couple like this.  I remember when they were changed, people being disappointed, but that was a long time ago.

Only reason I brought it up was that in the context of the question, maybe that code was around but commented out somewhere and could be used as a basis to work around what was asked, if desired.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I recall the tails just quietly having their wrist wearloc removed so if you took them off your wrist you couldn't put them back on there.

never heard of the "flip" command.  can think of some really cool possibilities for it.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

August 27, 2016, 03:18:16 AM #15 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:57:10 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Riev you old fart, you just made my day!

I had no idea you could do that in combat. God...all RP opportunities missed over the years lacking that knowledge  :'(

Unfortunately. This is not the case for "all" weapons. I dont know why.

I've had weapons that I could flip in combat by using use command.

I've had weapons that you needed to unwield, flip, and then wield again, or some such. Which made the flip feature pretty much moot. Which was pretty shitty, since it was a mastercraft I made. 

Quote from: Dar on August 27, 2016, 05:26:46 PM
Unfortunately. This is not the case for "all" weapons. I dont know why.

I've had weapons that I could flip in combat by using use command.

I've had weapons that you needed to unwield, flip, and then wield again, or some such. Which made the flip feature pretty much moot. Which was pretty shitty, since it was a mastercraft I made. 

I wouldn't even say thats weapon dependent... if you have a flip weapon, it shouldn't require unwielding and flipping out of combat. That sounds very buggy.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I suspect there are two scripts in existence. One allows it, the other does not. And it all depends on which script is attached.

I once MCed this awesome scary weapon specifically with this thing in mind as per custom order. And when we couldnt get it to work without unwielding, I was told that's how it was ment to be. I staffer might actually know the answer and explain it better.

Quote from: Molten Heart on August 27, 2016, 03:18:16 AM
Quote from: Armaddict on August 26, 2016, 09:54:03 PM
Only reason I brought it up was that in the context of the question, maybe that code was around but commented out somewhere and could be used as a basis to work around what was asked, if desired.

From what I understand, these items provided no armor protection because they were actual weapon objects that, unlike 'normal' weapons, could be worn in those (wrist) locations as opposed to being wielded in the hands.

As far as I'm aware, that's correct. I think that's just a code fluke that someone was taking advantage of. I witnessed the same thing happen with some more recent items not too long ago.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.