Release Notes - FIRE ARROWS

Started by Riev, August 22, 2016, 11:57:07 AM

-Arrows can now be lit off of torches and campfires, increasing their damage nominally for a short period of time.  When the first goes out the arrow will be blackened, resulting in it doing slightly less damage, and preventing it from being lit again.

This is a really cool tweak. My assumption is this doesn't work to LEGIT shoot fire BOLTS out of crossbows, so I can pretend to be a krathi all day erryday?

If a lit arrow landing on the ground can act as a light source? I may have just 'gasmed.

Also the other stuff was really good too, like the age-old "This is too large/This is too large". Nice work, coders!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Nessalin, 166 posts in a decade! Who is this badass who asks for no recognition? Is Nessalin real? Is Nessalin ACTUALLY just ginka self-aware?

I can't wait to fire-arrow your faces off ig.  ;D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Is this all arrows?  Or only wooden-shafted arrows?  Not sure how you light a bone arrow without wrapping it with something first.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

August 22, 2016, 12:30:10 PM #3 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:00:48 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

So, If you shoot a firey arrow at a tent, Will it catch the tent on fire?

I'm only asking because reasons.  :-X
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: whitt on August 22, 2016, 12:28:39 PM
Is this all arrows?  Or only wooden-shafted arrows?  Not sure how you light a bone arrow without wrapping it with something first.

Uh. CLEARLY all obsidian, flint, and agate is actually moderately flammable. How else do flint-strike kits work? DUHHHHHHHHHHHH.

You could dip the tip it in oil, or wrap the shaft it in a bit of oil-soaked cloth, or both.

I say don't think about it too hard, it's perfectly feasible but some parts should stay virtual for playability's sake.

I'd play it like the arrows are virtually covered in pitch or something similar.

Seems like this is part of a larger project. I can't think of any reason archery needed to be more dangerous.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I hope setting swords on fire is next.

Quote from: Majikal on August 22, 2016, 12:22:59 PM
Nessalin, 166 posts in a decade! Who is this badass who asks for no recognition? Is Nessalin real? Is Nessalin ACTUALLY just ginka self-aware?

Nessalin's Final Resting Place
You are standing in a dark chamber which is chilly and a bit damp giving
you reason to think it is located beneath the ground.  The walls are made
of solid stone, and there are no exits that you can see. 
   In the center of this circular room there is a large stone sarcophogus
with a lid that bears the image of a humanoid.  Judging from the length of
this stone coffin, and the form of the figure on the lid, you would guess
an elf's body is contained within.
The Shade of Nessalin is standing here.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Jingo on August 22, 2016, 02:14:42 PM
Seems like this is part of a larger project. I can't think of any reason archery needed to be more dangerous.

If the wagon code ever gets polished up and re-implemented..this could lead to some great caravan/raider interactions.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Do people still carry around torches? The only one my characters ever bother with is the one they start with. Maybe I'll have reason to start carrying them around now :)

What's the syntax?
Light arrow torch
yousuck

> ep arrow
You brandish your immortal arrow.
> light arrow campfire
You hold an immortal arrow in a dome-shaped campfire's flame, causing it to ignite.
> eq
You are using:
<primary hand>           a flaming immortal arrow

(Time passes)

>
The smoking tip of your arrow goes out, leaving behind a brittle, charred surface.
> eq
<primary hand>           a burned immortal arrow
> light arrow campfire
An immortal arrow is too burned to catch fire again.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

I am super freaking pleased by this change. Giving people mundane ways to do special kinds of attacks is absolutely rad. Though the only thing I'd like to say is that if you're going to have fire arrows, I hope it burns off any poisons on said arrow. I don't want to be set on fire AND poisoned by those tricksy elven assholes.

Nessalin. Is there any what so ever way to have those arrows light up the room while they're burning?

Quote from: hyzhenhok on August 23, 2016, 09:56:22 PM
...really?

A quick google reveals that flaming arrows could be fired from a bow without extinguishing by reducing the tension of the bow string (at the cost of accuracy), and were on occasion used in open combat as a morale weapon, or as a rangefinding tool in low-light situations.

We have bone swords and obsidian armor. Fire arrows are fine.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Archery's really just a lame cousin of magick anyway. Both involve doing nefarious things with sticks.

I think the idea is great but to me it seems a little too easy to use, and will be used way too much to make archery even more scary. Torches can be lit in a second, with no downside? Should they require a strike kit now to be lit? Should there be a 30 second crafter delay or something similar?

Gosh I hope the chances for shields to block arrows has gone up... my experience with it previous with a 30'ish day old warrior I never blocked one or even parry'd one out of the air.
Death is only the beginning...

I like seeing how the worries over this change reflect some of the similar real-life feelings and "moral" questions that arose about the introduction and use of archery in battle and warfare.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

If it boosted morale, I am so going to do 'feel motivated, motivated, down right motivated, HOORAH!'.

I like this change, even though it now compounds two things I rarely have. Arrows, and things that make fire.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

... Isn't this how the Copper War ended

I really hope this results in some huge fires while staff are overseeing. I really want to see shit get out of hand.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on August 24, 2016, 09:41:58 AM
I really hope this results in some huge fires while staff are overseeing. I really want to see shit get out of hand.

"Pa, what made this giant plain of sand and ash?" "Some freaking idiot shot a fire arrow in the middle of the scrub, and wasn't a good shot."

Quote from: HavokBlue on August 24, 2016, 12:53:41 AM
...really?

A quick google reveals that flaming arrows could be fired from a bow without extinguishing by reducing the tension of the bow string (at the cost of accuracy), and were on occasion used in open combat as a morale weapon, or as a rangefinding tool in low-light situations.

Fire arrows are stupid. If you reduce the tension, you lose accuracy and power and gain nothing.

Torches are already unrealistic. Now we are going to see min maxers ridiculously juggling a torch while they use archery, which was already quite powerful. Because torches are cheap, light and easy to manage, there is literally no reason not to light all of your arrows. There is nothing added by this because it is a no brainer. Why not just increase arrow damage across the board? Why add a fiddly and unrealistic to the game for no gain?

I really have no idea what the thinking was behind this. It's indefensible.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on August 24, 2016, 12:37:34 PM
...really?

Fire arrows are stupid. If you reduce the tension, you lose accuracy and power and gain nothing.

Torches are already unrealistic. Now we are going to see min maxers ridiculously juggling a torch while they use archery, which was already quite powerful. Because torches are cheap, light and easy to manage, there is literally no reason not to light all of your arrows. There is nothing added by this because it is a no brainer. Why not just increase arrow damage across the board? Why add a fiddly and unrealistic to the game for no gain?

Ah, Armageddon and it's realism. I can't wait to go to work on my GIGANTIC INSECT and use a little bit of my EXTREME MAGICAL POWER.

Honestly, I've never seen archery as over-powered, and I've met very few people that even use it all that much so I can't see where the fact that it has something which is honestly from what I read hard enough to use (it has a chance to go out, and then you can't light it again and arrows are hard to get as is).

So, this is just sort of hilarious to read that your problem with it is it makes something you think is OP more OP, and it is unrealistic. I think a lot of things are OP, like throw. I once saw someone kill a creature with a single thrown knife. So yeah, lots of stuff can be over-powered. Doesn't mean we need to not add new things to it. If we did, we'd stagnate so fast we'd be a bog.

August 24, 2016, 02:32:16 PM #27 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:33:57 PM by BadSkeelz
Archery can certainly seem overpowered when you're being shot at. I don't know the skill levels it takes to do, but most human-sized PCs can be killed in 3-4 hits by anyone (or anything) capable of hitting reliably at range.

Quote from: BrokenRomance on August 24, 2016, 01:15:33 PM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on August 24, 2016, 12:37:34 PM
...really?

Ah, Armageddon and it's realism. I can't wait to go to work on my GIGANTIC INSECT and use a little bit of my EXTREME MAGICAL POWER.

Honestly, I've never seen archery as over-powered, and I've met very few people that even use it all that much so I can't see where the fact that it has something which is honestly from what I read hard enough to use (it has a chance to go out, and then you can't light it again and arrows are hard to get as is).

So, this is just sort of hilarious to read that your problem with it is it makes something you think is OP more OP, and it is unrealistic. I think a lot of things are OP, like throw. I once saw someone kill a creature with a single thrown knife. So yeah, lots of stuff can be over-powered. Doesn't mean we need to not add new things to it. If we did, we'd stagnate so fast we'd be a bog.

Pretty much the last thing archery needed was more damage.

I doubt the extra damage is significant, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Since fire-blackened arrows do less damage, would we get in trouble if we broke in to Ranger Danger's apartment and torched all his arrows?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 24, 2016, 02:43:00 PM
Since fire-blackened arrows do less damage, would we get in trouble if we broke in to Ranger Danger's apartment and torched all his arrows?

It was just a prank, bro!
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 24, 2016, 02:43:00 PM

Sounds like legitimate sabotage, to me.

Nothing stopped you from doing that BEFORE now.

I still want a burning arrow to become a light source. Fuck extra damage, people have been able to do that with a certain other combination for years and rarely did. Just let me light up a cave a couple rooms in, see the ankheg breathing heavily, and run like a jozhal.

Make it attached to the archery skill or something, so you can fail to light the arrows. Doing a little damage to yourself.

> light arrow campfire
You hold an obsidian tipped arrow too close to campfire's flame, and burn yourself!

Oh oh, and -critical- failures!

> light arrow campfire
You hold a white-fletched arrow to a torches flame, and catch your sleeves on fire!

The newbie ranger is here, on fire!

the newbie ranger shouts, in panic-accented sirihish 'Help! help! Someone extinguish me!!'

someone says in sirihish, snickering from behind a dune 'Stop, drop and roll.'

;D

I like the crit fail, but it should be on firing the arrow, not lighting it, and a failure should destroy the bow.
3/21/16 Never Forget

August 24, 2016, 09:44:20 PM #35 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:54:19 PM by Inks
Obsidian shard, length of bone, feathers. Are we setting fire to the feathers? I guess it can be virtual burning oil, and if so, why do rioting civilians get firebombs but PCs don't, since there is such a good supply of burning oil to light every arrow in the known?

I would like to see code that you have to light torches at least rather than them immolating like a magic wand when held. Also arrows are already the most dangerous form of attack apart from magic, in my personal opinion.

Quote from: lostinspace on August 24, 2016, 06:56:23 PM
I like the crit fail, but it should be on firing the arrow, not lighting it, and a failure should destroy the bow.

+1 for bow destruction.

Quote from: WanderingOoze on August 24, 2016, 10:41:31 PM

+1 for bow destruction.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

August 25, 2016, 12:40:22 AM #40 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:44:56 AM by Dresan
I don't thnk this is OP. Its really freaking cool though. Flaming arrows will mostly be used by people/groups against stationary mobs.

PCs can still expect your usual perained arrow from a hidden ranger with AI agility.

However, now that we have flaming arrows, there is only one thing left to add:

(Would love to see it being a light source)

Y'know... during the whole 'throwing' bug crash fiasco of last month, a staff did once ask me if the knife I tossed was flaming...

This suggests what's next are: flaming knives!

I totally dig the flaming arrows.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I could see dipping the tip of knives in oil instead of poison to make them flammable.

Quote from: AdamBlue on August 25, 2016, 03:21:37 PM
I could see dipping the tip of knives in oil instead of poison to make them flammable.

You slip and set yourself on fire!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Inks on August 25, 2016, 08:03:39 PM
Quote from: Barsook on August 24, 2016, 10:45:51 PM
Quote from: WanderingOoze on August 24, 2016, 10:41:31 PM

+1 for bow destruction.

I fail to see how this makes any sort of sense.

Bow destruction sound awful. Archery buffs also sound awful. Archery needs to be changed to make it less of a free-kill on mobs. It also needs changes to make the archers less able to get a free kill on PC's and then disappear.

I disagree with RGS. Agian I see this as being something cool to do in a group, not really something to use against PC vs poison.  So its not a buff just an additional cool feature.

Archery is strong as it should be as is alot of things when you take the time to master them. The only problem with everything else is there is no defense against the 'look' command.

August 25, 2016, 09:39:48 PM #48 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:57:38 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Change archery so that if you fail you shoot yourself in the face.

August 25, 2016, 10:21:30 PM #50 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:23:35 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Dresan on August 25, 2016, 09:30:48 PM
I disagree with RGS. Agian I see this as being something cool to do in a group, not really something to use against PC vs poison.  So its not a buff just an additional cool feature.

Archery is strong as it should be as is alot of things when you take the time to master them. The only problem with everything else is there is no defense against the 'look' command.

Just because you think it's cool do do in a group doesn't stop it from being a flat buff to dmg. You're right that poison is better but do we even know if this removes poison from being an option? It certainly should.

I don't have an issue with archery killing people in 1-2 hits. But the ease with which people tend to get away after murdering their victims, and the lack of ability to defend when you know you're being targeted, coupled together, makes for a very un-fun environment to roleplay in when it happens.

Archery and throw vs mobs is WAY too easy. It's a free kill. That's just bad PvE design.

Most mobs become free kills anyways with in a couple days. And groups prefer rushing in head first so not sure why you have so much hate agaisnt bow and arrow.

Poison arrow+stealth is king, its been king for a long time and it hasn't broken the game. This doesn't change that. Agreed you shouldn't have both flame and poison arrow.

Frankly would love them give some love to crossbows and make them a unique type of short range archery with pros and cons, instead of always giving love to bows.

If the npcs didn't just stand there and get shot, but actually came toward the people that were shooting them (if aggro) or ran away (if not)... that's my dream world.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on August 26, 2016, 10:19:46 AM
If the npcs didn't just stand there and get shot, but actually came toward the people that were shooting them (if aggro) or ran away (if not)... that's my dream world.

+1

Even something as simple as having them 'flee self' if they are hit with an arrow (and not already engaged in melee) -- this would require the archer to at least move around (and potentially into danger), instead of setting up two rooms south of the NPC, looking in all directions, then spam firing.

During the gith wars in the Tablelands, I think staff were playing around with a script like that.  Or maybe they were just animating a lot.  Or maybe they were PCs.  I couldn't tell!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Fire arrows.  Yes.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I have a sneaking suspicion gith will be more dangerous for whatever reasons guys. Just saying.

Also fuck yes I want to actually consider taking a bow with me now.

Quote- Added a feature for 'count' to be able to use 'count <item> <container>' while you are wearing the container.

I love it.  Welcome back, Nathvaan!  N and N are rocking it.  I haven't been able to play much due to RL, but this has to the best Arm's ever been, code-wise.
Where it will go

September 12th, 2016

(Nessalin)
-When an arrow becomes lit, by whatever means, any poison on it is removed.

Honestly this sounds like a "working as intended" feature more than a bug. I would think that the organic compounds of toxins and venom wouldn't stand up very well to fire.

Being struck by an arrow that is both poisoned and on fire is also kind of overpowered from a gameplay perspective.

Those notes describe the attempted release, not the bugs that were found.