In Case you Missed it, the Thread

Started by Reiloth, August 08, 2016, 08:59:09 PM

People in ancient Rome and Greece called comets comets. Let's just get rid of some of the tedium of saying "bright thing with a tail moving through the sky" and call it a comet if we want, because humans have been using variations of that word for thousands of years.

Keep in mind that the origins of the word comet have to do entirely with the observed features and nothing to do with the astronomical origins (unlike asteroid) so it shouldn't be OOCly jarring to use. It's like calling a sandstorm a sandstorm.

If you know about stars ic it could be thought of as a falling star.
I suppose.

It's just I imagine Armageddon doesn't see many comets, therefor having a word for them would be something that was lost after the Dragon genocided everything.

August 09, 2016, 06:40:24 PM #77 Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:42:09 PM by Chettaman
Let's call it Wek-krath.
or simply, "the falling light"
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Desertman on August 09, 2016, 05:01:08 PM
Quote from: Delirium on August 09, 2016, 04:58:42 PM
I'm confused.

My issues are with taking scientific/astrological/mathematical OOC knowledge into the game, not with calling it a comet...

... but I can't speak for everyone in this thread? Or for staff? So... maybe they wanna weigh in.

Bueller? Bueller?

My response wasn't for you particularly. Just a breakdown in general since I've seen people use this sort of thing in-game before as IC reasoning for something being IC when it shouldn't be.

So confusing...I reckon we should just call it smelly green scouring powder.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I love that we all love this game enough to debate vigorously whether or not it's okay to use a single word that perfectly described the thing we're all talking about.

My take on it is that it would probably be jarring for people to say asteroid, meteorite, or, really, comet. I'm under the impression that this appearance is rare enough that it might be a thing that most characters have never seen before, and that it's something more like "sky-fire" or "a hole in the sky" or whatever else.

We can probably take cues from the in-game boards in that it's never described with any of the words that would make it sound like a more normal thing that people have seen before.

It's more like:

OH MY FUCK THE SKY IS FALLING AND WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE OR SOME OTHER TERROR IS OCCURRING AND PERHAPS WE SHOULD GET TO SAFETY OR MAYBE IT MEANS THAT OUR CHILDREN WILL HAVE GLOWING EYES AND DEVOUR OUR FLESH!!!!?!

I just hope it correlates with magick changes.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on August 09, 2016, 07:26:13 PM
I just hope it correlates with magick changes.
Aliens came and took our full guilds

Posting from Star Tours line at Disneyland.

I vote comet acceptable.

I vote asteroid unacceptable.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

YOU'RE an assteroid!

EDIT: Comet me, bro.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

This guy's feeling right at home in Luir's right now.

Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Not gonna comment on anyone else's suggestions, but for me, 'that shit in the sky' is perfectly IC for 95% of all the PC's I've played AND everyone IG should recognize what I'm referring to.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Man I'm excited as fuck about this.  ;D

Call it a fucking flamingo ig for all I care. Yay for worldwide plotz!
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Conspiracy theory #746:

There is no plot. The staff just wanted to make a change to the output of the "weather" command, and needed to test it out. The dot in the sky will disappear eventually, or remain with no explanation at all.

Meta-gamers will turn it into a huge deal, a justification to PK whichever faction of the game world their players don't like that week. Many PCs will be destroyed, and everyone will blame the staff for not moving the non-existent plotline along quicker.

*note - I don't believe this conspiracy theory - I'm just making it up because I just finished my morning coffee and the caffeine is kicking in.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Conspiracy theory #892

Lizzie special apped th'dot. She is the dot. It's a family role and we should be expecting more dots soon.
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on August 10, 2016, 01:36:22 PM
Conspiracy theory #892

Lizzie special apped th'dot. She is the dot. It's a family role and we should be expecting more dots soon.

omg u werent spose 2 tell ne1 i h8 u kekekekekek

Quote from: Majikal on August 10, 2016, 01:36:22 PM
Conspiracy theory #892

Ohhh....micro dots... ;)
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Since comets don't fall slowly it will be interesting to see what this is, that said regardless of what this is, if this is the beginning of an HRPT, I'm even happier.

Every HRPT in recent memory has imposed (in my humble opinion) an improvement to the world that has effects on how we play going forward. There have already been several threads already that talk about changes both big and small that would help with plot generation for both players/staff.

I'm sure the experience itself will be fun, but always curious what we'll have left to build upon after all the dust settles.

Conspiracy theory #981

A whiran combined his love of flight with their Elkran lover's ability to sparkle.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on August 10, 2016, 07:30:57 PM
Conspiracy theory #981

A whiran combined his love of flight with their Elkran lover's ability to sparkle.
So they are like, doing it like eagles/hawks?

Quote from: Majikal on August 10, 2016, 07:30:57 PM
Conspiracy theory #981

D'awwwwwww.

PtarKen 1 is making its dramatic re-entry after a 5 year voyage.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on August 10, 2016, 08:48:31 PM
PtarKen 1 is making its dramatic re-entry after a 5 year voyage.

*cough*

orbital vestric spacestation
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Watch how that thing finally lands when I'm at the airport to pick up my long lost kitteh. Argh! I'm so impatient!
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on August 11, 2016, 01:17:23 AM
Watch how that thing finally lands when I'm at the airport to pick up my long lost kitteh. Argh! I'm so impatient!

Conspiracy Theory #491:

It is your kitteh, kidnapped by ginka and thrown through the sky.

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

A head-sized, bright object cuts a downward streak through the distant southeastern sky, hanging low in the horizon.