In Case you Missed it, the Thread

Started by Reiloth, August 08, 2016, 08:59:09 PM

Don't have the science to make a proper sandwich but every Zalantheans know that
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Clearly, with Lunitari, Nuitari, and Solinari.... Krath had to have an illegitimate child sooner or later. PRAISE THE BABYSUN.

* - That time where you debate logging in at work, even though you've only been there a week, just to type 'weather' in game...
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

August 09, 2016, 11:14:39 AM #53 Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:16:35 AM by Dunetrade55
EDIT: Some of my IC musings on this I've found to be pretty backwards and funny. I shouldn't put any of them here, but lol. So, edited to remove possible identifiers.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: boog on August 09, 2016, 10:43:24 AM
Dwarf focus: find the dot, ride the dot, become one with the dot.

He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

August 09, 2016, 11:40:48 AM #55 Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:44:08 AM by Delirium

The boyish, orange-haired woman says, in celestial-accented sirihish:
    "Dot."

Also, in a more serious vein, some food for thought as to how to approach the appearance of a comet IG:
https://www.mpg.de/research/comets-cultural-history

Throw in the fact that magick is very real on Zalanthas and tends to have horrible consequences, and you could have a lot of fun with it.

though maybe not THIS much fun:
Quotewhen the Hale-Bopp comet gave an impressive performance in the terrestrial sky in 1997, 39 members of the Heaven's Gate sect committed suicide because they believed it would enable them to leave EarthZalanthas and travel to an alien space shipalternate plane,

THAT'S NO MOON
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Barsook on August 09, 2016, 10:42:45 AM
Quote from: boog on August 09, 2016, 10:39:32 AM
Quote from: Barsook on August 09, 2016, 10:21:13 AM
Quote from: Delirium on August 09, 2016, 10:19:52 AM
I am just going to put this here, since I'm already the GDB mom so I might as well embrace it:

DO NOT BRING YOUR MODERN KNOWLEDGE OF SCIENCE, ASTRONOMY, AND MATHEMATICS INTO THE GAME. IT RUINS MY IMMERSION.

kthanksbai

^That.

Thank you, GOD. It looks like a fucking dot, y'all. It does not say, "meteor, comet, asteroid," anywhere in the weather description.

Knock it offfff.
Quote from: Norcal on August 08, 2016, 11:24:18 PM
Teks comet

Hmmm..and I always thought that saying things on the GDB was different than saying things in game...I reckon now I know.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I wasn't saying you said it in game! I was just quoted rolllllled.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Though we shouldn't call it a comet, it's funny (IIRC) that almost every tribal culture in the history of the world has considered comets to be bad luck and arbiters of destruction.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Clearly ArmageddonMUD is turning into EnterpriseMUD, and this was the USS Enterprise coming too close to the natives and going against Federation directives to interfere with our timeline.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: boog on August 09, 2016, 01:23:30 PM
I wasn't saying you said it in game! I was just quoted rolllllled.

I stand corrected.  Teks space dot.

At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

It's definitely this:

https://youtu.be/7PsBxG8neok
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

I know I stated before that I thought this thread was going to get locked because of IC speculation in OOC, but just to ask.

Was the disappearance of the comet from the weather command placed on purpose?

???

Maybe it depends on where you are geographically?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Norcal on August 09, 2016, 01:16:07 PM
Quote from: Barsook on August 09, 2016, 10:42:45 AM
Quote from: boog on August 09, 2016, 10:39:32 AM
Quote from: Barsook on August 09, 2016, 10:21:13 AM
Quote from: Delirium on August 09, 2016, 10:19:52 AM
I am just going to put this here, since I'm already the GDB mom so I might as well embrace it:

DO NOT BRING YOUR MODERN KNOWLEDGE OF SCIENCE, ASTRONOMY, AND MATHEMATICS INTO THE GAME. IT RUINS MY IMMERSION.

kthanksbai

^That.

Thank you, GOD. It looks like a fucking dot, y'all. It does not say, "meteor, comet, asteroid," anywhere in the weather description.

Knock it offfff.
Quote from: Norcal on August 08, 2016, 11:24:18 PM
Teks comet

Hmmm..and I always thought that saying things on the GDB was different than saying things in game...I reckon now I know.

Quote from: Reiloth on August 09, 2016, 01:34:10 PM
Though we shouldn't call it a comet, it's funny (IIRC) that almost every tribal culture in the history of the world has considered comets to be bad luck and arbiters of destruction.

Out of curiosity....

If we shouldn't call it a comet in game...how should we reference the couple/few things in game that have comet in either the sdesc or the mdesc?

I think comet is okay. There's historical precedence (and a tattoo).

Asteroid, meteoroid... not so okay.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: Delirium on August 09, 2016, 03:40:28 PM

Yep. It should probably be called a comet IC and most cultures/people would have a word for that. Humans have noticed and talked about/written about them since pretty much forever.

Quote from: Delirium on August 09, 2016, 03:40:28 PM

So then...people who called it a comet in this very thread, prompting others to say "don't call it that" (not verbatim) are actually fine?  Because it's an OOC comment -and- because comet is already in game?

August 09, 2016, 04:57:17 PM #72 Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:00:14 PM by Desertman
Something having a word in its short or even main description does not mean that word is an IC word. The description is there to let the reader behind the keyboard get the best visualization possible.

So for example....that "comet tattoo" or those items with "comet" in the short description don't necessarily mean that "comet" is an IC word.

If you took a central African jungle tribe and asked them to draw, "The sky fire.", and they drew a comet....they wouldn't magically know the word "comet"....they would still call it, "The sky fire.".

Same goes for "comets" existing in artwork in Zalanthas.

Just because someone drew a comet in the game or used it in a piece of artwork and you as the reader see "comet" in the description that DOES NOT make "comet" an IC word.

I'm not saying "comet" isn't an IC word, I guess that's up to staff.....I am saying that you seeing a word in a description designed to give you the best OOC mental image possible does not make that word an IC word.

If I were an artist in-game and I saw a pair of dragons having a battle and one dragon spit a cone of rainbow ice cream at the other dragon...and then I went and drew what I saw, I might give an sdesc of, "An ice-cream spitting dragon painting.".........that would NOT make ice cream and IC word/term....it would just give you as the reader behind the keyboard the best OOC mental imagine possible.....then you would have to roleplay accordingly keeping in mind what is IC and OOC.

(I once got shot down on an application for putting "ice" in my main description. The reason being that "ice" would not be a common in-game thing for most people to see. My argument was that it shouldn't matter because the characters in the game aren't seeing "ice"....the characters in the game have ZERO IDEA I have "ice" in my mdesc....ice is there for the benefit of the player behind the keyboard to get a visualization.....in the end I was told I was right and it was fine. I feel that applies here as well, more or less.)

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'm confused.

My issues are with taking scientific/astrological/mathematical OOC knowledge into the game, not with calling it a comet...

... but I can't speak for everyone in this thread? Or for staff? So... maybe they wanna weigh in.

Bueller? Bueller?

Quote from: Delirium on August 09, 2016, 04:58:42 PM
I'm confused.

My issues are with taking scientific/astrological/mathematical OOC knowledge into the game, not with calling it a comet...

... but I can't speak for everyone in this thread? Or for staff? So... maybe they wanna weigh in.

Bueller? Bueller?

My response wasn't for you particularly. Just a breakdown in general since I've seen people use this sort of thing in-game before as IC reasoning for something being IC when it shouldn't be.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.