capricious god or micro managment

Started by Valsin, July 14, 2016, 05:57:11 PM

At first I could not be sure that my character's life was being managed by the game's controllers.
Now I am positive.  Given time I can cite exactly why I say this.  What I don't know is if this is the controllers' way of making drama or some in game just ice meted out by an ic god who knows all and mets out twisted justice in sadistic manners to  ????
Anyway it makes me not to want to even bother playing more if it isn't an ic god.
In my opinion shouldn't the fiercness of Zalanthas gaia and other characters create the mood for the game, not an artificial arbitrary ??

Try

>wear tinfoil.surmac head

More seriously, I think you're probably misinterpreting whatever it is that happened.

Yep. Nope.
I have zero clue what you are on about.
Wear the tinfoil surmac. it helps.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

What the hell is this.

Also.
God is dead, welcome to dank sun.

Quote from: Valsin on July 14, 2016, 05:57:11 PM
At first I could not be sure that my character's life was being managed by the game's controllers.
Now I am positive.  Given time I can cite exactly why I say this.  What I don't know is if this is the controllers' way of making drama or some in game just ice meted out by an ic god who knows all and mets out twisted justice in sadistic manners to  ????
Anyway it makes me not to want to even bother playing more if it isn't an ic god.
In my opinion shouldn't the fiercness of Zalanthas gaia and other characters create the mood for the game, not an artificial arbitrary ??

Maybe try filing a character report on the (presumably deceased?) character asking for more explanation of what happened. It might shed some light on it for you.

Staff do animate NPCs (ranging from animals to merchants, nobles, and templars) to bring the game world alive at times and react to the actions of players. PCs do not get targeted just for giggles. If they seemed to, chances are it was actually a player, or you were doing something that had unforeseen consequences from the Virtual environment.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 14, 2016, 06:09:08 PM
Maybe try filing a character report on the (presumably deceased?) character asking for more explanation of what happened. It might shed some light on it for you.

I second the suggestion to put in a request and maybe get some clarification.

I will also note that it's pretty common for new players to not realize that the things they are encountering in the world are actually just coded parts of the game. Some kinds of critters can track you down without staff help, and so on. I have no idea what may have happened here, I just know that we see "hey why did you target my PC" requests fairly often in situations that were really all about NPCs or environment.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

My Pc got ran over by a wagon once, It was funny.

But um, what they said ^^
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I tried the tinfoil,  and it fell off.
How many times can you forage salt and not get any?, 45?, not in my experience, but it happened.  Not my first time salting.  But it happened all in one game day, even moved past beginning to the real salt flats.
With my first character the coding was changed on a skill.  The change came through to me as '"m" is not here' or '"M"is not here'. 

Quote from: Valsin on July 14, 2016, 08:23:05 PM
I tried the tinfoil,  and it fell off.
How many times can you forage salt and not get any?, 45?, not in my experience, but it happened.  Not my first time salting.  But it happened all in one game day, even moved past beginning to the real salt flats.
With my first character the coding was changed on a skill.  The change came through to me as '"m" is not here' or '"M"is not here'.  

Hey, Armageddon is a cruel mistress. That's why we're all here.

I can assure you, that while it's possible that in some games, staff/immortals/dungeon masters will petulantly make players suffer for strange or spiteful reasons, Armageddon is not that kind of game.

There's a level of staff professionalism here that comes with the maturity of a 20+ year old game.

Armageddon is being cruel to you all by its self, in an automated fashion.

Enjoy!

I'm going to tell a story from a looooooooooooong time ago.

Before you started getting your stats after you pointed at the map in the new character's room, there were no such thing and your stats were pretty much set the minute you entered the game.

So I don't know if I missed the notice or what, but at some point I started noticing that all my characters were starting with poor stats in all categories and at first I thought it was bad luck, and after "suiciding" a few characters I kept getting poor stats all the time and I was convinced that one of the Staff was messing with me. I thought that I was actually being clever and that I would just create another account but even after that I'd still keep getting poor stats all the time.

I quit the game for many months after that, convinced that one staff just had it against me.

I'm not sure when I realized that your stats changed after you pointed at the map but yeah, I quit Arm thinking that Staff was giving me poor stats on all my characters to punish me about something.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on July 14, 2016, 08:37:29 PM
I'm not sure when I realized that your stats changed after you pointed at the map but yeah, I quit Arm thinking that Staff was giving me poor stats on all my characters to punish me about something.

sorry not sorry but this actually just made me lol...a lot
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Malken on July 14, 2016, 08:37:29 PM
I'm going to tell a story from a looooooooooooong time ago.

Before you started getting your stats after you pointed at the map in the new character's room, there were no such thing and your stats were pretty much set the minute you entered the game.

So I don't know if I missed the notice or what, but at some point I started noticing that all my characters were starting with poor stats in all categories and at first I thought it was bad luck, and after "suiciding" a few characters I kept getting poor stats all the time and I was convinced that one of the Staff was messing with me. I thought that I was actually being clever and that I would just create another account but even after that I'd still keep getting poor stats all the time.

I quit the game for many months after that, convinced that one staff just had it against me.

I haven't felt second hand cringe this bad since that time I read the story of the guy who was sitting in the Byn hall trying to cast spells he didn't have because he thought that was how sorcerery worked.
Good job.

Quote from: Jihelu on July 14, 2016, 08:50:44 PM
I haven't felt second hand cringe this bad since that time I read the story of the guy who was sitting in the Byn hall trying to cast spells he didn't have because he thought that was how sorcerery worked.
Good job.

That was probably me as well.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Thank you for your replies and input.
Seriouosly, I love the game.  Zalanthas is indeed a harsh mistress. NSTAAFL
Thank you Robert Heinlein.
Thank you Th3kaiser for the post.

Quote from: Malken on July 14, 2016, 08:53:38 PM
That was probably me as well.

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Quote from: Valsin on July 14, 2016, 09:01:37 PM
Zalanthas is indeed a harsh mistress.

INDEED. Enjoy! ;)

On the salting, I think it got intentionally harder. Used to be that you'd make more money as a salter then you could as a master crafter, so that was a little silly.
It's not just your character, my salter character also failed to find salt. Poor guy.
Welcome to the game though :)

And that is -not- how it works?  :o
Ahem.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Capricious, mercurial godhead. Always.

It's known as Ginka. Just when you least suspect it, it waits around the corner for you. The dreaded Mantis Head, one of the various tentacles of Cthulhu.

Welcome to the fold!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Sadly learning sorcerery as a mundane is probably a lot harder on staff AND you than just apping one in.
Seeing as staff would have to add EVERY SINGLE SPELL, if it is the same as skills, and it might just disappear and what not.

That and sorcerery is evil you evil gickers.

Salting is apparently easier if you just find a deposit of salt, though it does sound like it would be.
Finding a deposit of purplish salts is appealing!

I third the recommendation that you put in a request for details, because, Halaster is no longer lurking around waiting to destroy you with a twisted metal spider abomination. Ah, the good ol' days, when I could the story of how I ragequit to my non-arm friends, and they'd think the death was so freaking cool that they gave the game a try, only to be disappointed that they, too, weren't slaughtered by a capricious immortal psychopath.

Please come back Halaster.

Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: Valsin on July 14, 2016, 09:01:37 PM
Thank you for your replies and input.
Seriouosly, I love the game.  Zalanthas is indeed a harsh mistress. NSTAAFL
Thank you Robert Heinlein.
Thank you Th3kaiser for the post.

Gods, you sound like a rad newb.  I wish I could take you under wing IG.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on July 14, 2016, 11:15:45 PM
I third the recommendation that you put in a request for details, because, Halaster is no longer lurking around waiting to destroy you with a twisted metal spider abomination. Ah, the good ol' days, when I could the story of how I ragequit to my non-arm friends, and they'd think the death was so freaking cool that they gave the game a try, only to be disappointed that they, too, weren't slaughtered by a capricious immortal psychopath.

Please come back Halaster.

There's always Renenutet.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

Wait hold on, were we supposed to cut back on the metallic death spiders? Why didn't anyone tell me this!

Quote from: Akariel on July 15, 2016, 12:09:55 PM
Wait hold on, were we supposed to cut back on the metallic death spiders? Why didn't anyone tell me this!

I personally find that the non-metallic kind are pretty effective. Also you don't have to feed them Elkrosians to keep them going, you can just feed them mundane PCs instead.

Quote from: Talia on July 15, 2016, 12:18:56 PM
Quote from: Akariel on July 15, 2016, 12:09:55 PM

I personally find that the non-metallic kind are pretty effective. Also you don't have to feed them Elkrosians to keep them going, you can just feed them mundane PCs instead.
Well seeing as we can't feed them any elkrosians,~
What else would you give them?